GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"You are being watched."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 17/08/01 at 12:18
Regular
There is something called The Central Database that holds over a million pieces of info on every single person in this country.

Ok, fair enough?
Well, when you consider that they monitor everything you do, even down to your spending habits, I find this level of surveillance offensive and disturbing. However, having contacted someone via

www.dataprotection.gov.uk

They have informed me of the following:

Your spending habits are monitored through a variety of means.
Whenever you withdraw cash, that serial number is noted on the database and wherever you spend it is noted as well, this way certain organisations are able to build a profile of you for "business purposes".
They are able to see where you were that day through the location of the ATM you used, where you spent your money and what you liket to spend it on.
This is why junk-mail is tailored to your needs.
Buy a lot of CDs? Recieve Britannia Music Club stuff and so on.

And every single purchase you make with a credit or debit card is also logged and monitored. The following info is stored:

The amount
Where you used the card
What you used the card on
Any previous similar purchases

And how did I even know about this and email the data protection website?

3 weeks ago I bought a tv for my girlfriend, using a Visa card. Not a credit card, but a debit card.
This morning I recieve a letter from the Tv Licensing Agency informing me that "you purchased a television, tv ready PC or similar item and we do not have a license registered from you at this address".

So I buy a tele, that is logged and checked against Gov. records and they deduce I don't have a license.

I find this intrusion and surveillance worrying, offensive and it reeks of a draconian Big Brother system where every single little thing you do and buy is monitored, logged, stored and checked.

Disgusting country that this is.
Fri 17/08/01 at 16:28
LOL, think that'd drive anyone to suicide.
Fri 17/08/01 at 16:27
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I would wander about in a Star Wars mask, holding up placards with various statutes from Euro Civil Charter on.

Or jerk off furiously as often as possible, purely for my own twisted amusement.
Fri 17/08/01 at 16:24
"High polygon count"
Milenko wrote:
> this is a little ott but would you be happy if someone put
> cameras in every room of your house? Would you talk and joke about
> whatever you talk and joke about if you had a microphone permantly
> stuck to you?

I wouldn't mind, as long as Helen and Brian weren't in the house too...

;-)
Fri 17/08/01 at 16:23
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I find this a bit annoying, really don't mind too much at present time.

What annoys me is I feel everyone should be told about this, its a bloody cheek.
Fri 17/08/01 at 16:18
Wòókiee Møn§†€R - What you said actually happened. When it became widespread knowledge that the Echelon project was real, sites were created stating the trigger words for their systems. 100's of 1000's of users worldwide sent multiple emails containing these words, people wrote scripts that transmitted packets containing the words all over the world. I don't think it did much good though.

I don't like it at all. Ok so it may help them find criminals etc.. but in reality does it? I don't like the fact that my private details are not private to me anymore. It's not a case of if you have nothing to hide there's nothing to worry about, this is a little ott but would you be happy if someone put cameras in every room of your house? Would you talk and joke about whatever you talk and joke about if you had a microphone permantly stuck to you?

At the end of the day it's there and we can't do anything about it, but personally I think it's a bit much. Maybe Demolition man wasn't so far fetched.
Fri 17/08/01 at 15:26
Does it flag any phone conversations/books/text messages/web pages that talk about UFO's, alien abduction, MIB's and any other weird stuff? I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't but 'm just curious.

Darkreaper
Fri 17/08/01 at 13:25
"High polygon count"
It's not nice, I agree, but it's one of the problems that comes with globalising everything. It makes it easier for consumers, maybe, but makes tracking things easier also.

Still, if you've nothing to hide, there's no need to be paranoid about it.

Maybe we should all find a way to incorporate the words Assassinate, Saddam Hussein, IRA, Semtex and Bomb into all of our e-mails and telephone conversations, just to make sure these people earn their keep. :-)

Mind you, with the problems they still have with terrorism with the IRA, around the world, it obviously isn't working that well.

The one thing I do hate, though, is the TV licence crap. You used to be able to say "well, I don't watch BBC" and get away with it - so they changed it so that (supposedly) the licence is for having a TV, and not to cover the BBC. So why did the BBC then come out with their own 'adverts' about "thanks to the unique way in which the BBC is funded by you..." ???

Why do we need a licence for a TV anyway? It doesn't take a special skill to use it (like a car) and it's not a dangerous weapon (unless you throw it out of an upstairs window), so what is it for if not the BBC? Make the buggers advertise, I say.

Sorry - got miles away from the mani topic there, but I just had to get that off my chest.
Fri 17/08/01 at 13:19
Regular
That is why you are getting my notable vote :D
Fri 17/08/01 at 13:18
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
As soon as I figure out this super-laser and hold the world to ransom, I'm going to The Moon.

Let's see now, how can we get this thread read?

I think DVDs are the BOMB. I saw one movie about an ASSASINATION OF THE USA PRESIDENT.
I think it was called JFK.
There were all manner of CONSPIRACY THEORIES in it, suggesting that the CIA AND MAFIA were together in it.

Or, another movie where a drag QUEEN WAS MURDERED, it was called Body of Evidence.

There we go, Goatboy may be going away for a bit now. If I do, phone Log Woodson and get him to come rescue me
Fri 17/08/01 at 13:14
Regular
As soon as I pass my degree, I'm going to Japan.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.