GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy Mini-Review!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy'.
Tue 20/01/04 at 17:50
Regular
"Rasmus R The Best!"
Well i've been longing for a great Platform adventure since Wind Waker! Beyond Good and Evil and Prince Of Persia are the only two so far that have stopped my adventure cravings! but i wanted something well near ideantical to Zelda, i thought i wasn't going to find any game to match the experience of the Wind Waker! Until now...

Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy might look to you as an average Platform game but you'll be amazed to hear that in my opinion IT'S BETTER THEN ZELDA: THE WIND WAKER in many aspects. However it doesn't come close to the likes of Ocarina of time i must add.

Firstly the game is HUGE, what's the point of it being an adventure if your out at 9:00am and home at 4:00pm? There's not one is there? An Adventure should last around the 20-25 hours, and i'm pleased to say Sphinx is looking that way. 1
Thu 29/01/04 at 22:19
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Psyİho Fox wrote:
> Well there's at least got to be something that can beat Wind Waker,
> it's not like it's the best game ever, if Wind Waker was a brand new
> unheard of game nothing to do with the Legend of Zelda series, how
> many more consoles would it sell, it's only more popular because it's
> another of the great Zelda Franchise.

Apart from the fact it's great.

Honestly, I know a lot of people were disappointed by it, but I can't fault it in terms of epic grandeu, story, combat, grapics, sound and the general feel of it. True, it was a bit short and there was a lot of sailing and odd little islands that had little point, but the grand moments were simply magical.
Thu 29/01/04 at 21:54
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
"I IMPORT GAMES AND YOU ALL DON'T."
Thu 29/01/04 at 16:02
"The Will of D."
Owen wrote:
> i also thought they were totally wrong
> about the SUPERB Nokia N-Gage (doesn't beat the GBA though ;) ), but
> that's another argument for another day. :)

Nokia should never tried to battle the GBA for portble gaming supremecy coz mobile phones don't exactly hav the best controls do they when they come to games. All you have to do is press 4 or a 7 or a 9, but they are too close together for the comfort of the GBA controls. Also the N-Gage is definetly losing the battle in Japan, USA and UK coz they brought it out too late, coz the GBA has been out since July 2002, and this summer 2003. the ab is already a years worth of profits ahead of the N-gage an mostly everyone has one already (GBA I mean).
Thu 29/01/04 at 15:44
Regular
"Rasmus R The Best!"
Totally agree something has to beat Wind Waker! Yes it was a 'great' game but Ocarina of Time truely blew me away! something was missing, otherwise i wouldn't of put it down and left it for so long without playing it........

Also the lack of really big dungeons got to me in Wind Waker, it had some great worlds and some small dungeons but Sphinx beats it for the amount of puzzles and things to work out in it, it is around 23 hours of puzzle solving and the rest talking to people. The puzzles are also fun to work out when they can take up to an hour to complete....

However the GAME magazines won't give it the score it deserves because of the Zelda franchise!

You are also correct about Donkey Konga, it is just banging bongo's to music but it certainly didn't deserve the pathetic 60% it was given in gamesmaster! The reviewer also annoyed me when he stated that the bongo's are made cheaply, but then in another caption states 'Hit the Bongo's as hard as you can until they break?' so the reviewer breaks the bongo's himself because his immature and then states they are made cheaply? I believe it was one of the worst reviews thay have ever done, i also thought they were totally wrong about the SUPERB Nokia N-Gage (doesn't beat the GBA though ;) ), but that's another argument for another day. :)
Wed 28/01/04 at 08:01
"The Will of D."
Well there's at least got to be something that can beat Wind Waker, it's not like it's the best game ever, if Wind Waker was a brand new unheard of game nothing to do with the Legend of Zelda series, how many more consoles would it sell, it's only more popular because it's another of the great Zelda Franchise.
Tue 27/01/04 at 21:38
Regular
Sphinx looks like a great game, and I'll pre-order it the second it appears on SR's databse, but I doubt it's better than Wind Waker.

Suppose I'll have to wait and see.
Tue 27/01/04 at 19:48
"The Will of D."
Owen wrote:
> Has it got that Zelda feel? I think so, is it Zelda? No probably not,
> but i do think this has more depth then the Wind Waker. Is it a
> better game? I think Sphinx just beats it, however i do believe
> Link's adventures feel much more magical and for some reason it all
> works better, the character Sphinx doesn't beat Link.

I agree with you on that, even though i haven't played the game yet, I still think that Wind Waker was missing something and wasn't really up to the usual standard, so t is definetly possible for any game to at least try to beat it, and hopefully I feel like that game has arrived.

> I marked the game the best i could. i do believe Sphinx deserves a
> 9/10 purely because the game is extremeley polished. Every world i
> have gone to looks excellent, the tombs look excellent and the
> puzzles are well thought out, the mummy for example can be put on
> fire and electricuted without dieing and he can also split into 3
> people making for some great puzzles not forgetting confusing one's.

Now i wonder if this will be true for all the other consoles who supossedly have better Specificiations, but the game publishers don't even try to get to the high standards that Nintendo are achieving, so I woder if they will get the same deal.

> Remember it's my opinion, One of you will probably hate it. Take
> Gamesmaster for example with Donkey Konga, they gave it a pathetic
> 60% when it obviously deserves 90%, it's a truly great game and i
> believe it was one of the worst reviews they have ever done! but some
> of you will disagree.

I don't think Donky Konga will last very long, if the game is just banging on the konga drums (or if you don't hae them the usualcotrollers) then i think it will get a bit repetitive for people who like DK (and have been waiting for more DK stuff since RARE left) but who don't like to make their own music ad just listen to it. So I just don't think that the people who reviewed the game at Gamesmasters were such great musicians, and got fed up with the game. But that is only my poinion and whatever the scores are don't get offended when one crap games reviewer gives it a bad review.

> I did buy this game on Import by the way!

As I thought, thank you for answering.
Tue 27/01/04 at 16:37
Regular
"Rasmus R The Best!"
Maverick42 wrote:
> Owen wrote:
> Anyway The game is getting even better, the first hour is quite slow
> but after that it's all superb. I encounted my first boss today 8
> hours through the game! The worlds you go to look brilliant and they
> are massive, there are so many puzzles and the Mummy sections are
> excellent it wouldn't surpirse me if this get's around the 95% mark,
> it deserves to!
>
> I know I haven't played it, but to get 95% it'd have to be an
> astounding game and getting that score would make it the best game on
> the GameCube to date. I'd give Metroid Prime 9.5/10, y'know. Is it
> really up to that standard, or do you have ridiculously low
> standards? Have you EVER disliked a game?

I have disliked games, but i don't buy rubbish games often (excluding Vexx).

If 9/10 gives Sphinx 95% then i am wrong, it should however be given 90%- 92%. It's not the BEST game on the Gamecube, but i do believe it's the best of IT'S KIND. Metroid Prime is nothing like it and yes it is better the Sphinx! Anyway the 95% was my opinion! and scores don't really matter! All i know is that i'm pleased i bought this game as i have really enjoyed it from Start-Finish and that's what's important.
Tue 27/01/04 at 16:32
Regular
"Rasmus R The Best!"
Did i really say Vexx is better then Mario Sunshine!? Christ i can understand why you wouldn't believe me on this one! lol Mario Sunshine is better then Vexx, sorry bout that!

Vexx was a very good game AT FIRST and then quickly went pear shaped, HOWEVER i promise you Sphinx is a great game! It has loads of Aztec Tombs full of puzzles and it's a very long game (in my opinion) it's around 25 hours long.. and NEVER GETS BORING...

Has it got that Zelda feel? I think so, is it Zelda? No probably not, but i do think this has more depth then the Wind Waker. Is it a better game? I think Sphinx just beats it, however i do believe Link's adventures feel much more magical and for some reason it all works better, the character Sphinx doesn't beat Link. I'm just comparing it to Zelda because it's the only game you can really compare it to, both Wind Waker and Sphinx are probably 2 of the best Adventure games on the Gamecube.

I marked the game the best i could. i do believe Sphinx deserves a 9/10 purely because the game is extremeley polished. Every world i have gone to looks excellent, the tombs look excellent and the puzzles are well thought out, the mummy for example can be put on fire and electricuted without dieing and he can also split into 3 people making for some great puzzles not forgetting confusing one's.

Remember it's my opinion, One of you will probably hate it. Take Gamesmaster for example with Donkey Konga, they gave it a pathetic 60% when it obviously deserves 90%, it's a truly great game and i believe it was one of the worst reviews they have ever done! but some of you will disagree.

I did buy this game on Import by the way!
Sun 25/01/04 at 11:44
"The Will of D."
Maverick42 wrote:
> I'd give Metroid Prime 9.5/10, y'know. Is it
> really up to that standard, or do you have ridiculously low
> standards?
I think so
>Have you EVER disliked a game?
Probably not.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.