GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My PS2 vs a piece of toast ... which is best for games?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 23/01/04 at 13:52
Regular
"Moody DJ"
Currently, a piece of toast is winning this race due to the INTENSELY annoying 'disc read error' thing.

Sometimes games feel like loading for me when I tip it on end a bit, just HIGHLY irritating when it REFUSES to play any of the spooled movie sections from Zone Of The Enders...
Fri 23/01/04 at 13:52
Regular
"Moody DJ"
Currently, a piece of toast is winning this race due to the INTENSELY annoying 'disc read error' thing.

Sometimes games feel like loading for me when I tip it on end a bit, just HIGHLY irritating when it REFUSES to play any of the spooled movie sections from Zone Of The Enders...
Fri 23/01/04 at 14:15
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
DRE = Time for a new PS2 or a refurb from Sony, contact SCEE Support.
Fri 23/01/04 at 14:25
Regular
"Moody DJ"
How much will that cost me?
Fri 23/01/04 at 14:29
Regular
Refurb is about £65 I think, if you go to the Support section of uk.playstation.com and type in disc read error and hit the button it'll tell you how to go about contacting them for one.

Alternatively, a lot of places will take in your old PS2 as part-ex for one of the nice new shiny silver ones :)

I'm now on my 2nd new black PS2, the last one lasted 26 months. I could have just got a new laser fitted (£65 again) or gone for a refurb, but EverQuest demanded that I get one immediately so I just bought a new one instead.
Fri 23/01/04 at 14:32
Regular
Meantime, toast always lands butter side down, and a cat always lands on its feet.

So if you strap a block of butter to your cat's back and drop it from a height, will it hover a few inches above the ground spinning round and round?
Fri 23/01/04 at 14:32
Regular
"Moody DJ"
FantasyMeister wrote:
> Refurb is about £65 I think, if you go to the Support section of
> uk.playstation.com and type in disc read error and hit the button
> it'll tell you how to go about contacting them for one.
>
> Alternatively, a lot of places will take in your old PS2 as part-ex
> for one of the nice new shiny silver ones :)
>
> I'm now on my 2nd new black PS2, the last one lasted 26 months. I
> could have just got a new laser fitted (£65 again) or gone for
> a refurb, but EverQuest demanded that I get one immediately so I just
> bought a new one instead.

You know anywhere which do the part exchange for a nice new shiny silver one?

I've flicked through Ebay, you get SO many broken PS2's on there, plus a load of guides which apparently tell you how to fix up PS2's. I'm about as technical as, erm, a fish or something, so I don't think I'll be attempting that.
Fri 23/01/04 at 14:33
Regular
Any independant games retailer, plus Special Reserve do it now as well I think?
Fri 23/01/04 at 15:07
Regular
"Moody DJ"
Oh really? I think I shall be enquiring about THIS!
Fri 23/01/04 at 19:03
Regular
These errors are a common problem.

Sony use hardware that convieniently goes faulty over a certain amount of use - this means they can make a lot of money by replacing this cheap part or by selling you a refurbished unit.

Hopefully, now people have realised this, they have switched to using longer lasting components in their new IR units.

I mean, £65 to replace a cheap part in the PS2 is a rip-off!
Fri 23/01/04 at 19:05
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
I must be one of the minority then who's had their PS2 since launch and nothing has gone wrong with it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.