GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What have been your fav/worst FF games?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 23/01/04 at 23:20
Regular
"Fun in the sun"
God knows if a topic like this has already been started - couldn't give a monkeys......

Anyway I'm just curious to know what is everyones favourite Final Fantasy game, be it a spin-off (tatics) or the 'proper' thang. Just list your fav/worst FF games and the reason behind your decisions.

My favs (in no particular order)
FF7 - This imo is the finest one in the series. Great story with brilliant twists, loads of mini games - much better than FFX

FFV - Loved the class system!

'Good' FF games
FF10 - No doubt a lot of you all probably love this.......but I feel it really wasn't the 'leap' to an even better FF. It was more evolutionary than revolutionary......and now world map. Okay it isn't the end of the world, but I love to be able to trudge around a proper world map. Interesting storyline, and blitzball is quite a cool minigame.
FFIX - A lot of people thought that FF9 was the worst, but I quite enjoyed it because it reminded me of the old FF games which were mostly set in a sort of fantasy medieval age. It wasn't however, the leap I was expecting from 7 & 8.

Worst FF games
I think if I was pushed to say which one was the worst, I'd have to say Mystic Quest. Nice music, but pretty crappy gameplay! :P
Sat 31/01/04 at 13:43
"griever"
in my opinion ff8 is the best
even if u end up not liking it its worth playing
like marmite
Fri 30/01/04 at 19:17
Regular
"..."
Final Fantasy 10 is the best , there are no worst
Thu 29/01/04 at 16:09
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
I never drew to power up during battles, I always had my characters set up the best way possible beforehand. If I was looking for a particular kind of magic, that was different... but then I would seek out battles and it wouldn't be something that would irritate me.

I still think the materia/junction system was the best. It was like creating your very own weapons, and when you got a good combo it was like... "eureka!"
Thu 29/01/04 at 14:50
Regular
"Moody DJ"
Lukeman wrote:
> I do reckon that ff8 is the best, but I must admit I prefereed the
> materia system, and not having to draw. It was easier to understand
> and simpler to use than the junction system, where all the words are
> abbreiveated. It's hard to use when you don't know what ST/ATK means.

Oh I was fine with the system its just the fact that the battles became DRAW fests after a while. Find a monster with some decent magic, draw your erse off until you get 99 of them, then kill it. It took FOREVER to finish some fights. You don't HAVE to draw like that I suppose, but since it makes your people harder, it kinda makes sense.

Then again, I DID spend a hell of alot of FF7 running around in that underwater plane thing, all Fury'd up, getting those Level 3 limits mastered and powerering up my 4x cut.

They get the balance better with each game I find. I never had to pointlessly run around FF10 for ages doing stuff.
Thu 29/01/04 at 13:52
Regular
"You have a choice"
I do reckon that ff8 is the best, but I must admit I prefereed the materia system, and not having to draw. It was easier to understand and simpler to use than the junction system, where all the words are abbreiveated. It's hard to use when you don't know what ST/ATK means.
Thu 29/01/04 at 10:16
Regular
"Moody DJ"
Right, FULL and OVERLY SERIOUS opinion to follow:

FFVII -> after playing MANY games on my SNES and the only ones I ever returned to being Zelda & Secret Of Mana ... I promptly had my pants blown away when one day I saw some geez at uni playing it. Then played the game through several times, had an ongoing rivalry with Emerald 'Hard Bast' Weapon and generally loved the game. Omnislash and Ultima Sword were always a nice combo with 4x Cut too. Plus it had the BEST storyline with one of your characters getting killed off and Cloud going off and being insane, Sephiroph being the best of the FF baddies ever. Just plain wicked.

FFVIII -> loved this too, ramped up the production qualities quite alot. Also departed from Square's usual (start in place x, visit next place, then next place, then next place in a line around the world map style of gameplay. Locations visited were nicely story driven and you got shunted to different corners of the world depending on what happened to you). Like the party dynamic too, everyone gets on a real treat apart from Squall who is a moody little bast. Summonings were quality and LOVED the nice twist when you find out Ultimecia is your real bad person. The fight with her is a real treat too. The continual DRAW DRAW DRAW mechanic did get a bit irritating though.

FFIX -> my least favourite of the PS1 FF's. You don't actually get a chance to get stuck into a decent fight until you get out of Alexandria. Plus I felt the world map was a bit under developed once you got off the main island. I did like they way the story split off into two parts at one point when Dagger goes off to sort out her mam. Like the way that the summonings are woven into the storyline. Wasn't pleased at the lack of BIG boss monsters, everything you came up against felt a bit ... 'small' really. Plus the plot got a bit wonky when Garland appears on the scene AND the final geezer. Did like the graphics though, plenty of charm, the cities were all nicely MASSIVE too. Liked the character and power up system ... nice and simple after all the junction/draw malarky.

FFX -> nicely stunning graphics here, no mistake. Also like the way you can swap people in and out of the party in fights. The sphere grid is a piece of genius too. The soundtrack is classy but I felt Seymour was a bit weak as an opponent character wise, and Sin is just too remote to provide a real opponent until the final moments of the game. Like the twist when you get to Yunalesca. Bit of a shame that the world map style gameplay has gone, I always liked being able to fly around places myself, land and walk into an area. Also made the game feel 'bigger' too. Lots of nice side quests, but I think this is the shortest of all the games. I'd like to see Square go back to a more Manga styled game, with a bit of a darker storyline for once.

FFTacticsAdvance -> essential, mainly because I keep slipping off at work for Final Fantasy poo breaks.

NOT looking forward to FFXI at all, awaiting FFXII more eagerly.
Thu 29/01/04 at 07:56
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
I loved FF8 but couldn't put a reason on it, I didn't even bother playing cards either.
Thu 29/01/04 at 07:01
Regular
Lukeman wrote:
> Cool. But why's FF8 so bad? Down where I live, I can't have a FF talk
> with anyone who doesn't think FF7 and 8 are both really good. Loadsa
> people think it's rubbish here.

Just the whole feel of the game. It didn't feel like a true FF, more of a FF clone.

And FF clones are rarely any good...
Thu 29/01/04 at 03:17
Regular
"Monochromatic"
i hated X because of the over-complicated junction system.it was never ideal for the completists
bring back the materia orbs!
Wed 28/01/04 at 22:15
Regular
"You have a choice"
ßulle††™ wrote:
> FF7 was the best for me. Hated FF8 and thought FFX was OK.

Cool. But why's FF8 so bad? Down where I live, I can't have a FF talk with anyone who doesn't think FF7 and 8 are both really good. Loadsa people think it's rubbish here.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.