GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Are you a sore loser?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 16/08/01 at 13:59
Regular
The other day a friend of mine brought round her new boyfriend, and being a PS1 owner he instantly spotted my PS2. A bit of talk went by and we stuck on GT3. He had recently got into GT2, so knew what he was doing, and on the first race it was pretty close, but he beat me.

Thats fine, I admit I am not the worlds greatest gamer. I said, "Right! A rematch!". This brought on comments from his and my girlfriend claiming that I was a sore loser. The second race was just as close, but I won. The girls were now saying "Happy now? Proved your superiority?"

A time before I was playing another of my female friends at DOA2. Whenever I won comments like "Give us a chance!" went round, yet whenever she won it would be "Ha! Beaten by a girl!"

It's a very tricky situation, playing with someone that either isnt a console player, or doesnt have that particular game. If you completely whip them you get branded for not being easy on them/cocky for being practised, yet if you play a few rounds/races timidly to give them a chance and they win, youre branded as rubbish. Worse still, if the other player is a pro gamer and they beat you, they have a tendancy to gloat for beating you at your own game.

I have tried many tactics, but found the one of keeping it even throughout the game, but barely winning at the end is the fairest way to do it. Let the novice lead the first lap, or get the first few hits in, but then this can also backfire. If youre slacking off to give them a chance while a pro gamer is watching, they might notice and claim you are soft.

The best way out of a situation like any of the above though, is not get into it. Play fair, don't be cocky, don't finish a race 20 seconds before your novice opponent and then start practicing your donuts. Take it easy, let them set the pace, compliment on nice moves and offer tips (and controls if they are not usual gamers). Be cool, yet show your authority by superior knowledge of the game rather than giving them a solid pasting, and they are more likely to play again.

They can be sore losers too.

Slave - Fairer gaming since 1843.
Sat 18/08/01 at 08:54
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
ssxpro wrote:
> Anyone here a Tekken Tag player?

At uni, a good friend and myself
> teamed up as a Tag pair, and challenged two people we met in the uni
> bar to a fight (in Tekken).

The two had been playing Tekken on
> the PS2 in the bar, and we could see they were both... well... pants
> really.

So, we met up next to my PS2, and as a prearranged plan,
> my friend and I lost the first 14 matches on 4p tag vs.

We then
> said "How about a bet for the first pair to reach 15
> wins?"

Given their current form, they eagerly agreed, and we
> bet £20 that we could make it to 15 before them.

:-)

I`m
> not saying we`re great at Tekken, just that they were really poor.
> We both went away £10 richer :-)

lol!!! I was playing Tekken tag everyday on Holiday and by the end of the holiday I couldnt be beaten!!

P.S How long have you been back around the FOG prime ssxpro!! You were gone for awhile and haven't seen much of ya!?
Sat 18/08/01 at 08:17
Regular
Anyone here a Tekken Tag player?

At uni, a good friend and myself teamed up as a Tag pair, and challenged two people we met in the uni bar to a fight (in Tekken).

The two had been playing Tekken on the PS2 in the bar, and we could see they were both... well... pants really.

So, we met up next to my PS2, and as a prearranged plan, my friend and I lost the first 14 matches on 4p tag vs.

We then said "How about a bet for the first pair to reach 15 wins?"

Given their current form, they eagerly agreed, and we bet £20 that we could make it to 15 before them.

:-)

I`m not saying we`re great at Tekken, just that they were really poor. We both went away £10 richer :-)
Sat 18/08/01 at 00:46
Regular
so if i lose a game and then beat my opponant to a bloody pulp with his own joypad and then force feed him the joypad he(so wrongly) won with....i am a sore loser?hmmmm
intresting
Fri 17/08/01 at 22:13
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
FantasyMeister wrote:
> Tell him to practice more, or else ask why he's sulking.

If he
> says 'Because you beat me,' tell him to practice more.

Ad
> infinitum.

I never had a little brother, but from what I can see
> the whole point of having a smaller sibling is so that you can beat
> them.

Beat them? Oh yes with a very large stick ;)
Fri 17/08/01 at 20:54
There are a few games out there that adapt to your level of skill, which is nice.
Fri 17/08/01 at 20:13
cookie monster wrote:
> I think everyone hates losing, its human
> nature to be competitve and
> try to win all the time. Everyone
> who says "its the taking part
> that counts" is either
> mental or a liar.

It's the taking part= I'm rubbish and always
> lose
It's the inner beauty that counts= I'm ugly

etc
> etc....

Nice opinion there! We know it isn't true! (:)
Fri 17/08/01 at 19:55
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
cookie monster wrote:
> I think everyone hates losing, its human nature to be competitve and
> try to win all the time. Everyone who says "its the taking part
> that counts" is either mental or a liar.

It's the taking part= I'm rubbish and always lose
It's the inner beauty that counts= I'm ugly

etc etc....

Personally, I don't believe that above... but they're still funny!

Elliot
Fri 17/08/01 at 13:41
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Flip-side to that statement:

Used to play my Spectrum when I was a kid, and my little sister used to play as well, two of us against the computer.

Except with Target Renegade, she never understood "I'm on your team dammit, stop hitting me", so I would die she would carry on playing and being a rubbish 9yr old girl, I'd have to go and make Action Man do unmentionable things to Sindy to get her to stop.
Fri 17/08/01 at 13:39
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Tell him to practice more, or else ask why he's sulking.

If he says 'Because you beat me,' tell him to practice more.

Ad infinitum.

I never had a little brother, but from what I can see the whole point of having a smaller sibling is so that you can beat them.
Fri 17/08/01 at 11:45
I can't play some games against my brother anymore.

Especially football games.

We have to play on the same team now, against the computer.

Else he sulks when I beat him.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.