GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Are you a sore loser?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 16/08/01 at 13:59
Regular
The other day a friend of mine brought round her new boyfriend, and being a PS1 owner he instantly spotted my PS2. A bit of talk went by and we stuck on GT3. He had recently got into GT2, so knew what he was doing, and on the first race it was pretty close, but he beat me.

Thats fine, I admit I am not the worlds greatest gamer. I said, "Right! A rematch!". This brought on comments from his and my girlfriend claiming that I was a sore loser. The second race was just as close, but I won. The girls were now saying "Happy now? Proved your superiority?"

A time before I was playing another of my female friends at DOA2. Whenever I won comments like "Give us a chance!" went round, yet whenever she won it would be "Ha! Beaten by a girl!"

It's a very tricky situation, playing with someone that either isnt a console player, or doesnt have that particular game. If you completely whip them you get branded for not being easy on them/cocky for being practised, yet if you play a few rounds/races timidly to give them a chance and they win, youre branded as rubbish. Worse still, if the other player is a pro gamer and they beat you, they have a tendancy to gloat for beating you at your own game.

I have tried many tactics, but found the one of keeping it even throughout the game, but barely winning at the end is the fairest way to do it. Let the novice lead the first lap, or get the first few hits in, but then this can also backfire. If youre slacking off to give them a chance while a pro gamer is watching, they might notice and claim you are soft.

The best way out of a situation like any of the above though, is not get into it. Play fair, don't be cocky, don't finish a race 20 seconds before your novice opponent and then start practicing your donuts. Take it easy, let them set the pace, compliment on nice moves and offer tips (and controls if they are not usual gamers). Be cool, yet show your authority by superior knowledge of the game rather than giving them a solid pasting, and they are more likely to play again.

They can be sore losers too.

Slave - Fairer gaming since 1843.
Thu 16/08/01 at 13:59
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
The other day a friend of mine brought round her new boyfriend, and being a PS1 owner he instantly spotted my PS2. A bit of talk went by and we stuck on GT3. He had recently got into GT2, so knew what he was doing, and on the first race it was pretty close, but he beat me.

Thats fine, I admit I am not the worlds greatest gamer. I said, "Right! A rematch!". This brought on comments from his and my girlfriend claiming that I was a sore loser. The second race was just as close, but I won. The girls were now saying "Happy now? Proved your superiority?"

A time before I was playing another of my female friends at DOA2. Whenever I won comments like "Give us a chance!" went round, yet whenever she won it would be "Ha! Beaten by a girl!"

It's a very tricky situation, playing with someone that either isnt a console player, or doesnt have that particular game. If you completely whip them you get branded for not being easy on them/cocky for being practised, yet if you play a few rounds/races timidly to give them a chance and they win, youre branded as rubbish. Worse still, if the other player is a pro gamer and they beat you, they have a tendancy to gloat for beating you at your own game.

I have tried many tactics, but found the one of keeping it even throughout the game, but barely winning at the end is the fairest way to do it. Let the novice lead the first lap, or get the first few hits in, but then this can also backfire. If youre slacking off to give them a chance while a pro gamer is watching, they might notice and claim you are soft.

The best way out of a situation like any of the above though, is not get into it. Play fair, don't be cocky, don't finish a race 20 seconds before your novice opponent and then start practicing your donuts. Take it easy, let them set the pace, compliment on nice moves and offer tips (and controls if they are not usual gamers). Be cool, yet show your authority by superior knowledge of the game rather than giving them a solid pasting, and they are more likely to play again.

They can be sore losers too.

Slave - Fairer gaming since 1843.
Thu 16/08/01 at 15:16
Regular
"Bring back Mullets"
Nice post.

I prefer to lull them in to thinking they are good by letting them win the first two fights/races etc.

They begin to gloat and them wham, they are beaten hugely.

It makes me laugh anyway.
Thu 16/08/01 at 15:24
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
As nice as it is, being fair, it is very satisfying to gove someone a complete pasting now and again.

Hee hee hee! :D
Thu 16/08/01 at 15:34
"High polygon count"
I'm just a loser, there's no 'sore' abuot it...

Any you can shut up, Your Honour!

Me and my mate Mark are pretty even on the GT games. Best thing is to choose equivalent cars - i.e. the Calsonic Skyline and the Loctite Zexel Skyline - and race those. You have pretty much the same handling and speed, so it comes down to who's the better driver.
Thu 16/08/01 at 15:41
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
If it's person vs person, then do your best to stomp them, and I expect the same in return.

If it's the computer you lose to?
That's different.

I dont mind losing/dying because I suck at it, I do mind losing/dying because I timed a stupid jump wrong.
This is why I hate Tomb Raider etc, where progress depends largely on positioning yourself just so and having faith.

This is why I love Max Payne.
No jumping, no stupid puzzles to solve. Just "Get from A to B shooting as many people as possible in the most stylish way you will ever see"

Losing to a person is to be expected, as Cobra Kai said "There will be no fear in my Dojo. No Mercy and No Surrender"

Wise words indeed Sensei
Thu 16/08/01 at 17:57
I dont think winning gracefully should be a science or a delicate art. If you win you win. I you lose you lose. 'Nuff said.
Thu 16/08/01 at 18:44
Regular
"( . ) ( . )"
Slaveunit, I have the same dilema.
Thu 16/08/01 at 18:58
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I find the best way to ease the pain is to give them a better car. They get better, and you gradually work down to the same cars, like a handicap. That way, they get a sense of achievement, you win all the time :-D and you both get a good opponent.

Sorted!
Thu 16/08/01 at 20:31
What, a bit like AI then - Adaptive Intelligence. A neat trick for all potential programmers everywhere to learn.
Thu 16/08/01 at 20:40
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Clearly just a topic to gain popularity by claiming to be friends with "women"... ha! Never fooled me!

Elliot

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.