GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Books"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 16/08/01 at 00:57
Regular
Anyone here aware of there existence? I was on my way to ask if anyone had any recommendations when I noticed there is no forum that the most wonderful world of literature relates to. Surly an oversight. Anyway, was going to post onto the Suggestions board, but then I though no one reads that anyway so decided on here.

So go on, hit me with all you got - what's your favourite read and why? I've been devouring books at an alarming rate recently so I'm running out of ideas.

To get you in the mood, a few of my favourites (in no particular order):

The Catcher in the Rye.

I read this is one sitting on a rain evening when I was very ill. That's the one and only time I've read it and due to the delirium of my illness this book could be better or worse than I remember. Anyway, great novel, most genius part is that the whole story is told from one person's perspective but he lies and exaggerates frequently in his interactions with others in the novel. Does he do the same with the reader?

Death of a Salesman

My favourite play of all time (though Macbeth comes close). It just captures the feeling of a time I love - I can just imagine Jimmy Stewart walking around in the background - but does it in an almost opposing way to normal. Pessimism and despair replaces the eternal hope usually associated with the time. Wiley is just such a great character and one you empathise with so totally you are literally sucked into the play. And sometimes you need to read a tragedy.

The Great Gatsby

Quite possibly my favourite book of all time simply because I want to be Jay Gatsby. I know your not supposed to as he is ultimately shown to be corrupt, but there is something so sweet about his lavish showmanship, constant strive to be better and his eternal hope that I can only love. Again, it takes place in a part of history that I adore - prohibition America. Its more the characters than the story that I like, that said I still love it.

The Time Out Film Guides

I love everything about these. They are big and authoritive and about a medium for which I have an undying passion. I can dip in and out of it for the purposes of research or just enjoyment – I have literally spent hours sitting thinking “I wonder what they think of X” and looking it up. Then I’ll go “Oh, that was directed by Mr Y, wonder what else he did” and I’ll be off to the directors index at the back and start reading a few more entries, leading to another search, maybe on an actress this time, and more entries. I have similar books with big glossy pictures and a better layout, but nothing beats good old Time Out for thoroughness.

Anyway, I ended up starting to re-read The Lost Continent. Reading of foreign travel is perfect for this time of year and Bryson's is just so funny and informative that I could read his book again and again.
Thu 16/08/01 at 23:39
Just read The death of a hollow man - Caroline Graham, class book. Very very interesting murder mystery. Completely gripping, impossible to put down. Also it has a very good sense of mumor in it. Rather a long haul though, Although in comparison to The Hobbit or Lord of the Rings its short!

Gonna Start Rainbow Six on Monday, Looking forward to that. Bril game, the book should be better!
Thu 16/08/01 at 23:29
Catch 22 - Joseph Heller
Work of absolute pure genius. I've read and re-read this book endless times. Its the only book I will deliberatley miss my stop on the tube/bus whatever to keep reading and laughing like a madwoman. Its a satire on war. The hero Yossarian is a bomber pilot in WW2. He has a very real fear of dieing whilst going out on his bombing missions. Decides his morbid fear of dieing should class him as "insane" and therefore unfit to fly. The army psychiatrist points out that this is a very real and rational fear therefore making him fit to fly and die ergo Catch 22. Its about the absurdity of war, capitalism and the whole 9 yards. A word of warning, it does take a bit of getting into. You start reading thinking "this is ridiculous, it makes no sense" then the penny slowly drops and you realise thats the point, its about the absuridty of life.

A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy O Toole
Set in New Orleans in the early 60's the hero launches a one man crusade to save the city from the moral depravity its sliding into. Some notable scenes involving prostituites, sailors and hot dog stands. The author killed himself at 28. His Mother touted this manuscript around publishers until one finally took it. It went on to be a cult classic. The authors tragically early demise robbed the world of its next potential Joseph Heller.

Perfume - Patrick Suskind
A murder mystery set in France during the revolution. The crime is resolved through the use of the sense of smell. A sensual, taut thriller that will haunt you for a long time. A book that is begging to be made into a film.

Trainspotting - Irving Welsh
One of the best books written about the drugs experience. Doesn't rely on the usual simplistic stereotypes written about drugs. Puts the whole thing into a context. Its funny and powerful. Having said all that I didn't rate anything else he wrote. But of a one trick pony this guy.

If this is the Man - Primo Levi
Primo Levi was an Italian Jew who was caught figthing in the resistence and imprisioned in Auscwitz. This is his story. One of the most powerful pieces of writing about the human experience. What makes us human and what happens to use in the most extreme situations? Levi has a very sparse style of writing. He simply describes his experiences. He is not prescriptive and he doesn't judge.
Thu 16/08/01 at 22:15
Regular
i'm half way through The Two Towers(lord of the rings part II)...DONT tell me what happens
Thu 16/08/01 at 17:39
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Nothing wrong with Harry Potter - I've read them all too.
Thu 16/08/01 at 13:14
Regular
"Bored, Bored, Bored"
I'm actually reading the Harry Potter books at the moment, okay if you like kids books but not quite what you may of been looking for!

My two favourite authors are Jules Verne and Kurt Vonnegut.

Jules Verne can be a bit laborious sometimes, mainly down to his painstaking attention to detail. This comes out in most of his books through an assistant to the main character, who spends his time fastidiously categorising everything they come across. It happens in 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Around the World in Eighty Days and Journey to the Centre of the Earth. I've not read that many of his works, just the more recognised ones really. Fairly incisive books though, considering he practically invented the nuclear powered submarine in the late 1800's.

Kurt Vonnegut is worth checking out, he tends to jump about in his books which puts some people off them. I'd recommend either Player Piano, Slaughterhouse 5, Cats Cradle, Breakfast of Champions, Sirens of Titan, God Bless you Mr. Rosewater or Timequake (In that order).

If you like gothic horror, then a good dose of H.P. Lovecrafts Cthulhu Mythos is worth a read as well.
Thu 16/08/01 at 11:07
Regular
The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind.

An excellent Fantasy series. Now on it's sixth book.

Anyone who likes fantasy books should read this series.
Thu 16/08/01 at 10:50
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Books I am reading at the moment:

The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat - Oliver Sacks
All about case studies of people with bizarre mental conditions. One guy went blind, but also lost all concept of ever being able to see. Never occured to him that he had been able to see or that anyone else could either.

Manufacturing Consent:The Political Economy of The Mass Media - Noam Chomsky
Re-reading this about how mass media actively seek to suppress and misinform the world of political situations.
Example: A pro-USA country is under attack from "Guerillas", whilst an anti-USA is under attack from "Rebels"

Crossfire: The Plot that Killed Kennedy - Jim Garrison
About JFK and the plots, written by Jim Garrison, the only man to ever bring a criminal trial in the case of JFK's assasination.
Thu 16/08/01 at 01:34
Regular
b b bo boo book whats a book
Thu 16/08/01 at 01:01
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Mildly interesting side note: the first line nearly read "Anyone here aware of their existence?" - which would have been an entirely different and more philosophical discussion.

Lucky I spotted the grammatical error before posting or there could have been sleepless nights pondering “the self”.
Thu 16/08/01 at 00:57
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Anyone here aware of there existence? I was on my way to ask if anyone had any recommendations when I noticed there is no forum that the most wonderful world of literature relates to. Surly an oversight. Anyway, was going to post onto the Suggestions board, but then I though no one reads that anyway so decided on here.

So go on, hit me with all you got - what's your favourite read and why? I've been devouring books at an alarming rate recently so I'm running out of ideas.

To get you in the mood, a few of my favourites (in no particular order):

The Catcher in the Rye.

I read this is one sitting on a rain evening when I was very ill. That's the one and only time I've read it and due to the delirium of my illness this book could be better or worse than I remember. Anyway, great novel, most genius part is that the whole story is told from one person's perspective but he lies and exaggerates frequently in his interactions with others in the novel. Does he do the same with the reader?

Death of a Salesman

My favourite play of all time (though Macbeth comes close). It just captures the feeling of a time I love - I can just imagine Jimmy Stewart walking around in the background - but does it in an almost opposing way to normal. Pessimism and despair replaces the eternal hope usually associated with the time. Wiley is just such a great character and one you empathise with so totally you are literally sucked into the play. And sometimes you need to read a tragedy.

The Great Gatsby

Quite possibly my favourite book of all time simply because I want to be Jay Gatsby. I know your not supposed to as he is ultimately shown to be corrupt, but there is something so sweet about his lavish showmanship, constant strive to be better and his eternal hope that I can only love. Again, it takes place in a part of history that I adore - prohibition America. Its more the characters than the story that I like, that said I still love it.

The Time Out Film Guides

I love everything about these. They are big and authoritive and about a medium for which I have an undying passion. I can dip in and out of it for the purposes of research or just enjoyment – I have literally spent hours sitting thinking “I wonder what they think of X” and looking it up. Then I’ll go “Oh, that was directed by Mr Y, wonder what else he did” and I’ll be off to the directors index at the back and start reading a few more entries, leading to another search, maybe on an actress this time, and more entries. I have similar books with big glossy pictures and a better layout, but nothing beats good old Time Out for thoroughness.

Anyway, I ended up starting to re-read The Lost Continent. Reading of foreign travel is perfect for this time of year and Bryson's is just so funny and informative that I could read his book again and again.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.