GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Books"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 16/08/01 at 00:57
Regular
Anyone here aware of there existence? I was on my way to ask if anyone had any recommendations when I noticed there is no forum that the most wonderful world of literature relates to. Surly an oversight. Anyway, was going to post onto the Suggestions board, but then I though no one reads that anyway so decided on here.

So go on, hit me with all you got - what's your favourite read and why? I've been devouring books at an alarming rate recently so I'm running out of ideas.

To get you in the mood, a few of my favourites (in no particular order):

The Catcher in the Rye.

I read this is one sitting on a rain evening when I was very ill. That's the one and only time I've read it and due to the delirium of my illness this book could be better or worse than I remember. Anyway, great novel, most genius part is that the whole story is told from one person's perspective but he lies and exaggerates frequently in his interactions with others in the novel. Does he do the same with the reader?

Death of a Salesman

My favourite play of all time (though Macbeth comes close). It just captures the feeling of a time I love - I can just imagine Jimmy Stewart walking around in the background - but does it in an almost opposing way to normal. Pessimism and despair replaces the eternal hope usually associated with the time. Wiley is just such a great character and one you empathise with so totally you are literally sucked into the play. And sometimes you need to read a tragedy.

The Great Gatsby

Quite possibly my favourite book of all time simply because I want to be Jay Gatsby. I know your not supposed to as he is ultimately shown to be corrupt, but there is something so sweet about his lavish showmanship, constant strive to be better and his eternal hope that I can only love. Again, it takes place in a part of history that I adore - prohibition America. Its more the characters than the story that I like, that said I still love it.

The Time Out Film Guides

I love everything about these. They are big and authoritive and about a medium for which I have an undying passion. I can dip in and out of it for the purposes of research or just enjoyment – I have literally spent hours sitting thinking “I wonder what they think of X” and looking it up. Then I’ll go “Oh, that was directed by Mr Y, wonder what else he did” and I’ll be off to the directors index at the back and start reading a few more entries, leading to another search, maybe on an actress this time, and more entries. I have similar books with big glossy pictures and a better layout, but nothing beats good old Time Out for thoroughness.

Anyway, I ended up starting to re-read The Lost Continent. Reading of foreign travel is perfect for this time of year and Bryson's is just so funny and informative that I could read his book again and again.
Tue 21/08/01 at 19:57
Well, I am sad and don't like many books (sorry guys), and the only books that come to mind are the excellent novelisations of the "Resident Evil" game series by S.D. Perry. Well worht the read if you're a fan of the series...
Sun 19/08/01 at 15:03
Regular
Is the Hannibal book better than the movie?

*NO*
Sun 19/08/01 at 11:17
Like mattyboy, i just been getting into lord of the rings. It is highly recommended, even though the speeches and descriptions can be a bit longwinded sometimes. I would recommend this tale to anyone who can read!
Sun 19/08/01 at 01:22
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
I don't believe it.. someone's already gone and recommended 'Catch-22'! Fine... try Babbitt instead, it's written by Sinclair Lewis, a contemporary of F. Scott Fitzgerald and it's a good read... but not as good as 'Catch-22'
Sun 19/08/01 at 01:20
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
Wow! Someone who's read 'The Great Gatsby', I am very impressed... I can only recommend one book, especially as you seem to have a thing for American Literature (You're not studying the Synoptic unit on it for English Lit. A-level are you?) 'Catch-22' by joseph Heller. It is one of the funniest books I have ever read. There is a roll-call of great characters. For instance, Major Major, a man whose father named him as he thought it would be his only opportunity to do so (don't ask). Unfortunately, one goal lies in the father's path to naming his son Major Major, his wife. So he waits until she dies and then reveals his sons true name to the world. Major Major suddenly discovers that he wasn't called Caleb Major, as he had been told, but his full name was in fact Major Major Major. Suddenly his friends desert him as they knew someone called Caleb, and didn't want to get to know Major instead.
Anyway Major Major decides to join the army where he was promoted by "an IBM machine with a keen sense of humour" to the rank of Major. Not only did this extend his name but it meant he outranked everyone at his training camp, including his instructors, so no one talks to him. He ends up stuck in a limbo where he can neither be promoted or demoted as the politicians think it's rather funny, and he is shunned by everyone. I know that this isn't a great retelling of the character but read the book and you'll see that it's filled with brilliant character's like these.
Sat 18/08/01 at 18:25
Regular
Mewtwo wrote:
> CJC wrote:
> Call me sad, but I was watching Oprah today and she
> was telling
> viewers a lot of stuff about books. I thought that
> show was some
> sort of Jerry Springer type show, but she went
> into lots of detail
> about books.

I am currently
> reading:
"The killing of Tupac
> Shakur" he's my all
> time favourite and I hope to learn more
> about him and his
> death. Death?

Isn't there some kind of Oprah book club?

Yea, Oprah kept talking about it!
Sat 18/08/01 at 17:13
Regular
"Whatever!"
Ive been doing loads of reading lately, partly as Im in hospital!!

Ive got through the Harry Potter novels which I must say are well worth reading, especially the Goblet of Fire!!
At the moment Im getting into Lord of the Rings - Quite difficult to get into but its beginning to get pretty good!!
Sat 18/08/01 at 15:24
CJC wrote:
> Call me sad, but I was watching Oprah today and she was telling
> viewers a lot of stuff about books. I thought that show was some
> sort of Jerry Springer type show, but she went into lots of detail
> about books.

I am currently reading:
"The killing of Tupac
> Shakur" he's my all time favourite and I hope to learn more
> about him and his death. Death?

Isn't there some kind of Oprah book club?
Fri 17/08/01 at 23:11
Regular
Call me sad, but I was watching Oprah today and she was telling viewers a lot of stuff about books. I thought that show was some sort of Jerry Springer type show, but she went into lots of detail about books.

I am currently reading:
"The killing of Tupac Shakur" he's my all time favourite and I hope to learn more about him and his death. Death?
Fri 17/08/01 at 22:32
I'm assuming you've read Raymond Chandler, a contemporary of most of the authors you seem to admire. If not, do it. The Long Goodbye is a good place to start.

Most people are more familiar with the Chandler parodies than the actual source. It's a pity because Chandler's work really was groundbreaking at the time. He wrote with such evocative and rhythmic prose that it can transport you straight to 30's LA instantly.

Chandler was a professor of Literature who actually went to Dulwich College with PG Wodehouse, not that PG seems to have had much of an influence on Chandler's writing style, but there you go.

If I haven't convinced you, then next time you're in the library, just pick up any Chandler book and read the first couple of paragraphs. Please?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.