GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Red Faction 2 & Morrowind Goty."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind'.
Sat 31/01/04 at 19:44
Regular
""To the pub...""
I was always thinking about getting Red Faction even though it was pretty easy to complete it still remains one of my faverouit first-person-shooters especially being able to blow holes in the walls :P

and now red faction 2 which i always considered buying or at least playing but i ain't done neither but it is only £13 so should i get it ?

And Morrowind Goty i have been looking foward to this for ages as morrowind is probably my faverouit xbox game.

so they said it will be 30th of january 2004 if it was i would have it now the gits now there saying the 14th of feb and special reserve are saying the 6th huh ? ah well it must be the 14th special reserve always get the release dates wrong.

Unless of course anyone knows somewhere in the uk thats already selling it ? doubt it but its worth asking.
Mon 02/02/04 at 14:22
Regular
Fable sounds good. As far as open ended games go, my fave was definitely Frontier - the graphics and sound were poor at best, but the scope of it was unbelievable.
Mon 02/02/04 at 14:20
"For the horde!!!!"
Black Glove wrote:
> I disliked Morrowind at first: weak character, pathetic and helpless.
> Couldn't even slay a rat.

It dosn't take long until your an uber mage/warrior/thief and can empty dungeons single handedly and have loads of goddies to plunder for your troubles.

> Hopefully, Fable will be just as good. Better even.

amen to that
Mon 02/02/04 at 09:25
Regular
"Laughingstock"
I disliked Morrowind at first: weak character, pathetic and helpless. Couldn't even slay a rat. Everywhere to go and yet nowhere.
But I'd always wanted to play a genuine free-roaming game where I could do anything, go anywhere (within reason) - Shenmue didn't live up to expectations in this regard - so I stuck in there, and it was worth it, more than worth it.

There comes a moment when you suddenly realize your character is becoming powerful, and then you realize that you can play the game 'how you want to'. In gaming terms this is liberating.
So now I fly across the skies like a hag. When I'm surrounded by emenies I conjure demons, stand back and watch them snuff em. I dispose of oblivious numskulls from afar with a fireball shooting glove (which I created).

Hopefully, Fable will be just as good. Better even.
Mon 02/02/04 at 00:31
Regular
That's it ...

*points at door*
Mon 02/02/04 at 00:31
"I love yo... lamp."
Borat. BO RAT. Go rat.

BoRAT lost to a rat. HAHAHAHAH. A rat....
Sun 01/02/04 at 17:17
Regular
From my limited experience of Morrowind (I've sold it now, so it's going to remain limited), I noticed the following annoyances :

a) pages and pages and pages and pages of text to read. I don't mind reading, seriously, but the subject has to be something interesting. For the most part, it wasn't. There should have been speech in the game, a la KOTOR.

b) loading times. this did my head in, it seemed you spent more time waiting for the inside of a building, or a new village to load, than playing.

c) being able to fight properly would have been a serious plus. For gods sake, I was killed about 5 times by a rat! by a rat! I like a learning curve as much as the next man, but if you expect me to believe that I couldn't kill a rat with a battle axe, it's asking too much. I don't want to play for 10 hours before I see any proper action.

Several things I want to say on top of this. First of all, although KOTOR was in my view, far more linear and a much smaller game, it is much more the sort of RPG I was looking for. You could have full blown fights straight away, all the characters talked, the quests were interesting for me (picking mushrooms in a glade is not my idea of fun), and the storyline advanced much more quickly.

KOTOR is far from perfect, and could do with being about twice as long in my opinion, but it is much more the polished affair you expect with the new generation of consoles. Morrowind, despite it's collosal size, seemed dated, at times unresponsive (certainly with respect to the terrible fighting), and without any sense of direction. I love open ended games, Frontier is one of my all time favourite games, but this I found a little boring.

It must be noted however that I've never really been a fan of the whole wizardy beardy magic type stuff. People talking in riddles about legends, monsters and oldey worldey type stuff gets tedious for me. I wasn't keen on the lord of the rings series, although I must admit they are slowly growing on me. I'm far more into the whole science fiction scenerio, like Star Wars, so maybe this is the main reason I didn't want to play Morrowind any more.

When they release a sequel, and if it's far more polished, a tiny bit more linear, and if they sort that terrible fighting system out, I'll give it a try.
Sun 01/02/04 at 16:40
Regular
A living breathing world where everyone has the same boring crap to say?

Truely awful game.
Sun 01/02/04 at 15:59
Regular
Personally, I can overlook some dodgy presentation and appreciate Morrowind for what it is.

Creating such a massive, living, breathing world is a huge achievement and done on a far more intricate and large a scale than that of Grand Theft Auto or Knights of the Old Republic. Every character has their own story and something to say. Every town holds a hundred possible adventures. Everything you do affects the world and people around you. Such an epic creates the kind of depth that makes you feel as if you're living another life.

Pushing past the first ten hours, during which you can't safely take on anything other than a crab, was easy for me - due to the massive amount of non-violent quests at your fingertips. Investigating a tax-cheating thief, inquiring about a mysterious disappearance and stealthily thieving a pearl from somebody's home are just three examples I can think of off the top of my head.

From the moment I started playing the game I loved it. However, this is an RPG in every sense of the word. Full blown, free form, stats and figures, storyline and side-quests, vampires and beards - everything. Anyone who doesn't usually enjoy RPGs will not like this, and I can understand why. Myself and others such as Black Glove however, get incredible enjoyment out of it. Hopefully now you can see why.
Sun 01/02/04 at 15:32
Regular
"Remember me?"
OK.

- The graphics - or lack thereof - are attrocious.
- The game is boring, and the amount of time needed to see anything remotely interesting simply goes against what makes a good game, ie. instant accessability.
- Someone give Morrowind some animation for Christmas, please. Blocky jerking figures give me epilepsy.

Etc etc etc etc.
Sun 01/02/04 at 14:22
Regular
""To the pub...""
Ahahaha whats the matter can't you play it is it too Intellectual for you all those in game books etc you have to read.

stick to simple games mate i mean you can;t even argue why its "crap".

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.