GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Words of a top Ninty bod"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 14/08/01 at 10:13
Regular
Satoru Iwata said:

Our platform is primarily intended for our software. First, we have to create a market in which 3rd party software will be profitable. It would be contrary to our philosophy to concentrate on 3rd party software and the number of software titles available in order to sell hardware. However, we're not trying to close to door on developers either. We're working with several strong 3rd parties, and since E3 we've been approached by plenty more.

(Please note this HAS been translated from Japanese, and as such, may not always represent what Satoru Iwata really meant, given the huge differences between the English and Japanese languages.)

So what does this tell you? "Our platform is primarily meant for our software" if this was also the case with the N64, why so few releases from Nintendo? I can see that they are resolving the issue with the GAMECUBE, with plenty of software coming direct from the big N, as well as software they have a huge input in, the work of their second parties.

With Luigi's Mansion, Pikmin, Waverace and NBA Courtside all scheduled for a launch date release, and Star Fox Adventures, Super Smash Bros: Melee and Eternal Darkness all set to follow within a month (NOTE: these refer to USA release dates, the UK release may differ in titles) that's 7 titles. How long did it take for the N64 to have 7 first and second party games?

Plus there's plenty more to follow, with Metroid, Kameo, Donkey Kong Racing and Too Human already revealed, and Mario and Zelda expected to be revealed at Spaceworld.

It seems quite apparent that Nintendo are planning to make the GAMECUBE a platform with many, many exclusive games available for it, and are hoping to sell the console based on this. The console is going to sell at a price that much less than the PS2 and the Xbox for the simple reason that people that buy a GAMECUBE will want to buy many of the games from Nintendo, and that's where they plan to make there money.

It also seems apparent that Nintendo only approached a small number of 3rd party developers with the intention of getting the games that will help sell consoles, and help sell Nintendo games.

EA Sports games are hugely popular, and making them available on Nintendo's GAMECUBE will achieve a number of things, possibly. Gamers that love Nintendo games, but also love the games from EA Sports (and other such developers) will not need to decide whether they go for Nintendo, or the console that has all of the best 3rd party developers - GAMECUBE has both.

After Nintendo's showing at E3, many other 3rd party developers have approached Nintendo, hoping to develop for them, not the other way around. Nintendo don't much care for having huge amounts of games released for it, but the wealth of 3rd parties that have GAMECUBE games in the making will certainly mean more software available for the 'CUBE than previous platforms.

These 3rd parties, however, are likely to be mulit-platform, and bring few exclusives that will sell the console. Of course, if you're not a fan of Nintendo games, then why buy a 'CUBE? The controller is designed to play Nintendo's games - others games will have to fit in around it.

But if you do love Nintendo games, if you love Zelda and Mario, and the gaming experiences that Nintendo deliver, then get a GAMECUBE. It has the best ofboth worlds, exclusive Nintendo games, and the cream of 3rd party developers bringing their big franchises too.
Tue 14/08/01 at 10:13
Regular
"not dead"
Satoru Iwata said:

Our platform is primarily intended for our software. First, we have to create a market in which 3rd party software will be profitable. It would be contrary to our philosophy to concentrate on 3rd party software and the number of software titles available in order to sell hardware. However, we're not trying to close to door on developers either. We're working with several strong 3rd parties, and since E3 we've been approached by plenty more.

(Please note this HAS been translated from Japanese, and as such, may not always represent what Satoru Iwata really meant, given the huge differences between the English and Japanese languages.)

So what does this tell you? "Our platform is primarily meant for our software" if this was also the case with the N64, why so few releases from Nintendo? I can see that they are resolving the issue with the GAMECUBE, with plenty of software coming direct from the big N, as well as software they have a huge input in, the work of their second parties.

With Luigi's Mansion, Pikmin, Waverace and NBA Courtside all scheduled for a launch date release, and Star Fox Adventures, Super Smash Bros: Melee and Eternal Darkness all set to follow within a month (NOTE: these refer to USA release dates, the UK release may differ in titles) that's 7 titles. How long did it take for the N64 to have 7 first and second party games?

Plus there's plenty more to follow, with Metroid, Kameo, Donkey Kong Racing and Too Human already revealed, and Mario and Zelda expected to be revealed at Spaceworld.

It seems quite apparent that Nintendo are planning to make the GAMECUBE a platform with many, many exclusive games available for it, and are hoping to sell the console based on this. The console is going to sell at a price that much less than the PS2 and the Xbox for the simple reason that people that buy a GAMECUBE will want to buy many of the games from Nintendo, and that's where they plan to make there money.

It also seems apparent that Nintendo only approached a small number of 3rd party developers with the intention of getting the games that will help sell consoles, and help sell Nintendo games.

EA Sports games are hugely popular, and making them available on Nintendo's GAMECUBE will achieve a number of things, possibly. Gamers that love Nintendo games, but also love the games from EA Sports (and other such developers) will not need to decide whether they go for Nintendo, or the console that has all of the best 3rd party developers - GAMECUBE has both.

After Nintendo's showing at E3, many other 3rd party developers have approached Nintendo, hoping to develop for them, not the other way around. Nintendo don't much care for having huge amounts of games released for it, but the wealth of 3rd parties that have GAMECUBE games in the making will certainly mean more software available for the 'CUBE than previous platforms.

These 3rd parties, however, are likely to be mulit-platform, and bring few exclusives that will sell the console. Of course, if you're not a fan of Nintendo games, then why buy a 'CUBE? The controller is designed to play Nintendo's games - others games will have to fit in around it.

But if you do love Nintendo games, if you love Zelda and Mario, and the gaming experiences that Nintendo deliver, then get a GAMECUBE. It has the best ofboth worlds, exclusive Nintendo games, and the cream of 3rd party developers bringing their big franchises too.
Tue 14/08/01 at 11:17
Regular
"<];o)"
Ah...wise words from the Meka Dragon......thats a surprise (enough sarcasm now). Endless wise posts come from your mouth and yet many, many get ignored, disgraceful when most of the time they are the best posts that day. Anyway to the point now.

I will definately be getting a GAMECUBE, why? Well the reasons for me are obvious. Its not just me being loyal to Nintendo, its not just me liking so called "childish games", its me wanting to play the next generation of the games I enjoy.

Since the Nes, Zelda and Mario have been continued. I have enjoyed playing each and ever installment, and I don't know if I would ever be able to resist playing a 128 bit version of them. Zelda on the GAMECUBE......is there anyone that can truely say they aren't drooling over the prospect of playing that. I mean look at Ocarina of Time and Majoras Mask, great games in their own rights but think of what they would have been like on a 128bit machine, just think about it.....now wipe that drool up :)

The games being released for the GAMECUBE are the games I have grown up playing, and there is no reason that I shouldn't continue this trend by buying a GAMECUBE. The games are already familiar to me, great things are going to be expected and obviously due to Nintendos track record, great things will be delivered.

Nintendo have never dissapointed me and I am sure they won't start to by releasing lacklustre games on their new console.

(;o|
Tue 14/08/01 at 12:47
Regular
"Back For Good"
I read on teletext that madden nfl 2001 on the gamcube and xbox won't have extra modes due to memory limitations. I thought the xbox had a larger memory than the PS2 haha oh well.
Tue 14/08/01 at 12:48
Regular
"Back For Good"
forgot to mention that it was compared to the ps2 version
Tue 14/08/01 at 13:00
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Satoru Iwata said:

I think what Satoru Iwata MEANT to say was:

Tue 14/08/01 at 13:01
"High polygon count"
For 2 years running now, PS2 Madden will be the 'best' version of the game.

Features from Madden 2001 on PS2 have only just made it into Madden in the 2002 version, while the PS2 version of 2002 has yet more features.

It seems, for the moment at least, that PS2 is EA Sports 'primary' system, with other platforms being catered for as a 'secondary' thing.

Going back to Meka's post...

It's unfortunate, at least in my eyes, that Nintendo have designed the 'cube primarily for their own software, as that may again see them effectively excluding themselves from the larger market share.

As I've said, I am considering getting a Gamecube, but my decision is more likely to be swayed by the third-party titles than by Ninty's own games, which have never particularly interested me.

If, as suggested, third-party titles are 90% multi-platform, there'll be little incentive for me to buy a 'cube. While I'm sure there will be some 3rd-party exclsives, will there be enough to temp me?

I know for a fact I'm not the only person who feels this way, so are Nintendo shooting themselves in the foot again? *If* those who have consciously not bought Nintendo previously (due to the type of games available and envisioned 'lack' of support and sales), will they take up Gamecube?

These comments initially lead me to believe that history may be about to repeat itself, with Nintendo cornering a smaller 'niche' market.
Tue 14/08/01 at 13:02
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
Ö~ Res€vilfan ~Ö wrote:
I thought the xbox
> had a larger memory than the PS2 haha oh well.

If they upped the memory, the physical size would grow again.

Remember, people will have to carry these things home!

Perhaps MS are restricting themselves by such a large machine. Only people with doble front doors are going to be able to get one in the house!

Perhaps the cost of the machine includes fitting. ie:a crane to lift the roof from your house and lover the thing in place!

Dont take it to the beach though, Greenpeace will try and roll it back into the ocean!

Wait.... I have more....
Tue 14/08/01 at 13:13
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Satoru Iwata said:

I apologise profusely for Lylat Wars. I am ashamed that put our name to this game. Even for a baby console, this is unacceptable. To make up for this, we will give you more Mario and some driving games. There, now go away and don't listen to Metal Gear Solid 2, there's no fluffy animals or princess' with enormous eyes in it is there? No. Rubbish.
Domo Arigato
Tue 14/08/01 at 14:38
Regular
Nintendo may be regarded as the best hardware company to produce games, and Sony and Microsoft may not have the best reputation when it coes to producing games, but what the PS2 does have in abundance is exclusive titles, from 1st, 2nd and 3rd party developers. It is true that Nintendo have managed to woo many third party developers with the Gamecube's easy to use development environement, but as for third party developers making a profit, the system may not reach a high enough user base to warrant extended development for smaller companies. Sure your massive corporations such as Konami, Capcom, Namco, Sega and EA will all thrive with low operating costs and an easy development cycle, but are they going to create enough games for the Gamecube which will tempt people considering buying a PS2 or an Xbox to cenvert to Nintendo's system?? I very much doubt it.

Fans of the Playstation are being targeted this Christmas with the PS2 lineup, all the major franchises will have new games out before or just after Christmas. These include, Metal Gear Solid 2, Final Fantasy 10, ISS Pro Evolution, Wipeout Fusion, Crash Bandicoot, Ace Combat 4, Stuntman, Smackdown as well as the brilliant GT3. Then you have the games which haven't caught the headlines as much, simply because they are not sequels. I could go on for hours, but I'll just list the few whichappeal to me the most, Ico, Airblade, Herdy Gerdy, Jak and Daxter, Devil May Cry, State of Emergency and Xenosaga.

Somehow, I cannot see nintendo tempting many people away from the PS2 with titles like that being exclusively developed for Sony's black box.
Tue 14/08/01 at 17:29
Regular
"Back For Good"
I've got 2 official games i think maybe 3 out of like 50+, You see Sony provide an excellent system for all the great games where as Nintendo games are nearly all from rare.

do you see?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.