GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GBA vs SP - which one?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 10/02/04 at 19:04
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
So, which one should I get?

I can get hold of a used classic shape for £30. Should I go for this and kit it out with an afterwotsit (backlight thing) or go the whole hog and get a new SP?

The SP looks a little awkward to hold, especially during prolonged play. Is this the case?

Oh, and while I'm here, anyone recommened any games in particular? I'm keen to get Mario Advance 2 and Mario Kart initially, later expanding to include Golden Sun (original), Advance Wars, Metroid Fusion...

Come on peeps - spend my money!
Thu 12/02/04 at 16:36
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
I think the idea of a longer charge is because the battery has never been used before - most mobile phones need a long charge for the first time they are used.
Thu 12/02/04 at 16:28
Regular
"the burning sky"
Sorry, bit off topic here, Dringo, i got that MD player, but the software wont run on my version of windows... got any ideas? or any recommendations of other MD software, thanks...
Thu 12/02/04 at 16:25
Regular
I've got the normal GBA, a GB player and a GB SP...

And yet hardly play the Gameboy...

What does that tell you?

Yep I play the odd GB game on the Gamecube and have 2 GBA's for the GBA-GC connection.
Thu 12/02/04 at 16:02
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Well, plumped for an SP today folks! I got a black SP, along with Mario Kart and Super Ghouls n' Ghosts for about £108 - pretty darn good I thought!

I've got the SP charging at the mo. They informed me in the shop to charge it for 10 hours, but in the instructions, the only figure it quotes is 3 hours. Anyone shed any light on this?

They also import US versions of games and sell them for a bargainous £9.99! Think I might whip up a few of those bargains! ;)
Wed 11/02/04 at 15:31
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
My experience with starter packs (on any system) is that they are cheaper for a very good reason - usually pretty inferior to the standalone products. Best to stick with official stuff is you can afford to. Ultimately it is what you yourself are happy with I guess.
Wed 11/02/04 at 15:07
Regular
Uncle Albert wrote:
> SR offer an SP with Scorpion King for £90.
> My local independant games shop offers the SP with any 1 game for
> £100.
> Which should I go for? I'm more tempted by the latter.

Put it this way, are you ever going to play Scorpion King? :-)
Wed 11/02/04 at 12:38
Regular
Gah!

Just my luck, the day that I'm out when the deal of the day is put up on GAME's website and they offer a sodding brand new GBA SP for 29.99.

Must have sold out very quickly...not suprising really.
Wed 11/02/04 at 09:16
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Thanks for the input...decided to go with the SP.

However, now in another dilemma...which deal to go for!

SR offer an SP with Scorpion King for £90.
My local independant games shop offers the SP with any 1 game for £100.
Which should I go for? I'm more tempted by the latter.

Also, with regards to buying games, would I be better off going for 2nd-hand examples for around the £20-mark?

Finally, I've seen a few starter packs offering charging crables, headphones, adaptors, cases etc. Worth going for? Quite tempted as the most expensive I've seen is only £15! Any particular set I should go for?

Sorry for the all the questions, it's just that I haven't treated myself like this in a while (doing this to celebrate the completion of my latest big programming project...almost there), and want to get it right! :D
Wed 11/02/04 at 06:32
Regular
As for choosing which console, do you have a Gamestation (or SR) shop near you? If so, go into there and ask them to let you play a quick game on both systems - so you can get a feel for each one.

Personally, I'd go for the SP - great batery life with backlight on, rechargeable, foldable and a lot more stylish.

Only thing it doesn't have, is a headphone socket - but you can get an adaptor for a couple o' quid.
Wed 11/02/04 at 06:29
Regular
Jae wrote:
> I'd recommend Wario Ware. It's a great game, definately worth the
> money. :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.