GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"While we still can...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 12/08/01 at 22:36
Regular
This could well be the Future of Gaming and we need Multiplayer!

Have you ever thought about exactly what the future of gaming will be like? Some of you are probably predicting something along the lines of Virtual Reality in your own home or nearly lifelike visuals. Well I’m thinking of not too far in the future just maybe a few years. It is obvious that the Internet is going to play a big role in the future with the next generation consoles all supporting online capabilities with the ability to play friends across the world but is that what we really want? Well maybe yes we do but will it be as good as playing a few friends all sitting around one TV screen? Remember the fun times you had playing your old games with friends the countless times you screamed at them and accused them of cheating. Well I have played online before and it’s quite sole destroying! You think you’re good at a game and you don’t last 5 minutes on the net you really need to be a pro (or at least don’t have a computer that takes far too long too load), so I decided to test my theory and this morning some mates of mine all came round for a big multiplayer frenzy on my N64, Playstation, Dreamcast and SNES! We hadn’t done anything like this for ages and games such as Mario Kart and Perfect Dark had been cast aside without being their entertainment value being fully used. Anyway I would just like to say I had completely forgot how good multiplayer gaming with your mates next to you actually is! Throughout the expedition there was underhand tactics being used (the classic poking the guy next to you as he’s about to go crossing the finish line before you veering him off into the wall never goes a miss) and reminders of classics such as Street Fighter and the SNES Mario Kart just shows what we are (most of us) missing. Multiplayer gaming has never been so good and there are a lot of games out there that contain multiplayer aspects but only a few qualify for being “any good” there are even games nowadays that are made specifically for multiplayer battles Turok Rage Wars and the countless add on’s for PC games such as Half-Life to name but a few.

Now some of you are probably saying “Yeah but what about Internet multiplayer gaming?”. That’s all well and good but nothing can compare to a few mates some class games and a hell of a lot of fun. I personally came to the conclusion that playing directly with your friends was much better, there are always going to be games that are simply better played over the Internet but I think that playing with your friends is a whole lot better. Anyway there are games such as Mario Kart and nearly every other football game that you cant play over the Internet and only on home consoles and games such as Mario Party and Mario Tennis (yes I am a Nintendo fan and yes PS does have good multiplayer games it’s just that I don’t use my Playstation much) never really come into their own until they are played with a couple of friends. So what I’m trying to say is that in the future the multiplayer gaming world is going to mostly be played over the Internet and yes while this has many advantages it just wont be the same without your friends next to you sharing the fun directly so play those classic games now before it’s too late! There will always be able to play games with your friends like this in the near future but soon there isn’t going to be much demand for it and people will prefer playing over the net which may mean that some of the good game developers wont be bothered with multiplayer gaming unless it’s online therefore missing out the direct play with friends.

So I say break out the old consoles, dust off your multiplayer games, grab that game that fell down the side of the couch years ago and invite a few friends around and play while you still can because it may be your last chance before online gaming takes over!

So what are your favorite multiplayer games?
Do you prefer online gaming to getting a few friends round?
What do you think?

Thanks
Andy
Wed 15/08/01 at 17:30
tony shoild change the colours of the posts. there all dull.
Wed 15/08/01 at 02:42
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
Yay! I won GAD!

The post looks nice and bright yellow dosen't it! :D
Wed 15/08/01 at 01:53
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
DeltaJava wrote:
> Yes, I see a bright future for the future of gaming.

I do too. PILES AND PILES OF XBOX ABALAZE ON A HUGE PYRE!!!

Homeless people will gather round, cook their weiners and stick their hands in it for money. Cool!
Wed 15/08/01 at 00:32
Yes, I see a bright future for the future of gaming. Unless electricity runs out, of course.
Tue 14/08/01 at 22:21
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
shaneo wrote:
> Screwed again, bringing the last time I won GAD to 195 but congrats
> RawIsAndy.

Lol!! Yer Congrats and well dun RawIsAndy, bad luck Shaneo!!
Tue 14/08/01 at 22:20
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
§t@®§@!L0® wrote:
> CBFD does have a great multiplayer doesn't it Jamie? Its great. I
> think that the one where you have to get the gas canister to the
> underground place, and then it locks the doors and everyone gets
> gased, unless they find a gas mask.

Hehe...pure
> brilliance.

(;o|

Yer it is the best ever!!!! Although I have lent it to my friend and now he has gone on holiday so I am stuck without it!! :-(

Anyway! Are you MJ by any chance becuase if you are not then how the hell do you know my name??
Tue 14/08/01 at 21:21
Regular
"( . ) ( . )"
Screwed again, bringing the last time I won GAD to 195 but congrats RawIsAndy.
Tue 14/08/01 at 21:08
Regular
"I like cheese"
Personally, I prefer single player games. Mainly because the PSX and PS2 aren't brilliant for more than 2-player (although Smackdown 2 is a lot of fun on 4-player,) where as Nintendo do. Not that I mind, as I seem to enjoy playing single player more.
Tue 14/08/01 at 12:13
Regular
"<];o)"
CBFD does have a great multiplayer doesn't it Jamie? Its great. I think that the one where you have to get the gas canister to the underground place, and then it locks the doors and everyone gets gased, unless they find a gas mask.

Hehe...pure brilliance.

(;o|
Tue 14/08/01 at 11:48
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
I love going over too my friends house with my two controllers and using his two controllers so all four of us can play on Conker's Bad Fur day multiplayer games as they are the best, and I am hoping that Banjo-tooie offers something similar to that!!

I also..everyday play Cossacsk online Internet game! It is great fun especially in teams of three or two! So if you start of on there and have some people who are good then you cant loose! I mean just last night I was playing against this kid from Holland and I was with this kid from Germany! We kicked butt! And with games playing like you normally do offline works online! Except slightly harder! Not much different except being able to shout at your opponent for attacking you during Peacetime etc.

But there is nothing like sitting back with 4 mates and playing a good and fun multiplayer game on a good...NINTENDO console..:-D No on SONY ones too!

ZP

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.