GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Language Barrier"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 12/08/01 at 17:52
Regular
We know that there are gifted people out there that can speak more than 1 language, but what about the majority of others that can’t?

When a website is built, do you build it in as many languages as possible so that you receive a wider audience of visitors from around the world? Or do you just keep the website in its home language and concentrate on other aspects of the company instead?

It’s a fact that the bulk of people on the Net are from the USA, but there are more and more people going online from other countries.

Should all companies make a big step and start catering for other languages or should people be made to shop in their own country?

You decide!

---

Now just for a little bit of fun, Ive found out what the word “Special Reserve” means in different languages:

German - Spezielle Reserve

French - Excédent Affecté

Italian - Speciale Riserva

Portuguese - Reserva Especial

Spanish - Especial Reserva

English – Red Splat!

In what language do you like special reserve best?…. Maybe SR could consider changing it! :)
Mon 13/08/01 at 16:48
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
Italian - Speciale Riserva

Portuguese - Reserva Especial

Are the best I think, also Special Reserve in its home language sounds good to!
Mon 13/08/01 at 11:04
Regular
i love the word special reserve in portugese and in spanish. the german sounds a bit dodgey, german always sounds dodgey.
Mon 13/08/01 at 08:59
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
The Universal language of the Internet has to be English, purely because so many people are familiar with that language. (China don't count, they have their own internet, because they are 'special').

Personally all my corporate websites are in English only, purely because most of my visitors speak the language, I see no reason to add a Portugese variation or Russian version.

(I think Special Reserve in Russian is 'Spetznaz'.)

I can see a need for each country to have their own individual language for internal websites, like shopping/trade etc., but to trade globally people need to speak a global language to make things run smoothly.

English isn't the ONLY option though, the internet is already developing more and more emoticons that have nearly reached 'international standard' status, e.g. the smiley :-).

Maybe in the future we'll all be speaking Netspeak as our second language regardless of our first language.

Maybe in the future we'll all be speaking Netspeak and nothing else...
Sun 12/08/01 at 23:03
No useful feedback, no. Is that a problem?
Sun 12/08/01 at 21:04
Regular
So.... Has anyone got any useful feedback?

Thanks

Dav1d
Sun 12/08/01 at 18:08
Regular
Qû!k§iLve® wrote:
> Hehe...Sniper seems back to normal. Good too see you back mate.

---

Sorry I dont know him....

Just thought he was a bit out of order calling my post spam...

But I mean if he's like that all the time, I suppose its acceptable! :)

hmmmmm.... Just need to think of how I can get my revenge!

MWA HA HA HA HA HA! :-)
Sun 12/08/01 at 18:05
Regular
"MJ:Newbie Hunter!"
Hehe...Sniper seems back to normal. Good too see you back mate.

(;o|
Sun 12/08/01 at 18:03
Regular
Are you accusing my post of being spam....

That really hurts.... Spent ages researching and typing the topic.....

Can't I atleast have some constructive critiscm please...

and welcome back by the way! :)
Sun 12/08/01 at 17:58
Regular
SPAM SPAM SPAM isn't it WRONG OH YES STOP IT NOW!
Sun 12/08/01 at 17:58
Regular
SPAM SPAM SPAM isn't it WRONG OH YES STOP IT NOW!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.