GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I think I'm being 'Nintyfied'"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 12/02/04 at 21:58
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
I've had my GameCube for at least a year now and to be honest I've played it very little. But over the last week I've started to play it more often. I've had Zelda, Mario Kart, SMB2 and Ikaruga sitting in my room gathering dust until now, and I'm really surprised at how enjoyable each game is. Today I bought Viewtiful Joe as well and it's also a blinder, it's like a mix between Sonic, The Matrix and The Beano. Each of these games is exclusive to the GC, so when I play them I feel as though I'm playing something special, something that isn't just a quick money maker.

I think I'm starting to realise that most Nintendo games are quite original and concentrate solely on fun. They don't try too hard to be realistic like other games on other consoles. Like today when I was playing Viewtiful Joe, it reminded me of the old Mega-Drive days, when games were all about having a laugh and not taking everything so seriously.

I'm also wondering why the GC isn't doing as well as it should, as it clearly has excellent exclusive titles available. I blame Sony and their stupid mass market Playstations (I never thought I'd say that).

Oh well I'm not gonna start gibbering on about console wars crap, but I've certainly changed my mind about the old 'Cube, and I'll certainly have a look at what else is available for it that I've undoubtedly missed due to my own ignorance.

:)
Thu 12/02/04 at 21:58
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
I've had my GameCube for at least a year now and to be honest I've played it very little. But over the last week I've started to play it more often. I've had Zelda, Mario Kart, SMB2 and Ikaruga sitting in my room gathering dust until now, and I'm really surprised at how enjoyable each game is. Today I bought Viewtiful Joe as well and it's also a blinder, it's like a mix between Sonic, The Matrix and The Beano. Each of these games is exclusive to the GC, so when I play them I feel as though I'm playing something special, something that isn't just a quick money maker.

I think I'm starting to realise that most Nintendo games are quite original and concentrate solely on fun. They don't try too hard to be realistic like other games on other consoles. Like today when I was playing Viewtiful Joe, it reminded me of the old Mega-Drive days, when games were all about having a laugh and not taking everything so seriously.

I'm also wondering why the GC isn't doing as well as it should, as it clearly has excellent exclusive titles available. I blame Sony and their stupid mass market Playstations (I never thought I'd say that).

Oh well I'm not gonna start gibbering on about console wars crap, but I've certainly changed my mind about the old 'Cube, and I'll certainly have a look at what else is available for it that I've undoubtedly missed due to my own ignorance.

Thu 12/02/04 at 22:19
Regular
Lou Role wrote:
Each of these games is exclusive to the GC, so when I
> play them I feel as though I'm playing something special, something
> that isn't just a quick money maker.

*cough* Every EA game *cough*

Nice post though. The GC has a great backlog of these niche games, like Ikaruga, Skies of Arcadia, Viewtiful Joe etc.. All great games, and you can see how much time and effort has been put into each to make it such a great game.

I'm not saying all EA Games are bad or anything, it's just that they're making them to cash-in really. They know people will buy it because of a license , despite how well it actually plays. They're made to appeal to most gamers. These niche titles are for the hardcore gamers, people who are looking for something a little deeper. As is the Gamecube really. Its probably why it doesn't sell so well, because it doesn't get all the mass market appeal games, which isn't a bad thing at all. And it's why I love my Gamecube...

Thu 12/02/04 at 22:47
Regular
"gsybe you!"
My Cube is played more than my 'cool hardman Shooter/racing game' infested Xbox.
Thu 12/02/04 at 22:58
Regular
Take a look at Metroid Prime, Lou.

It's not for everyone, but offers more depth than your average GameCube title, yet delivers the same degree of gameplay perfection Nintendo are known for. In my opinion, the best game on the Cube.

Eternal Darkness is also very good.
Fri 13/02/04 at 09:30
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Nintendo have nobody to blame for their lack of success but themselves. You realise Mario Golf is coming out here a full 12 MONTHS after it's US release?
Fri 13/02/04 at 12:12
Regular
Darwock wrote:
> Nintendo have nobody to blame for their lack of success but
> themselves. You realise Mario Golf is coming out here a full 12
> MONTHS after it's US release?

Yes the release of a good but very small title has seriously damaged Nintendo's sales.

If you are talking about damaging sales Mario Golf helps... Nintendo would potentially have a very dissapointing first half of 2004 if they didn't delay some games such as FF:CC, Pikmin 2, MGS: TT and Mario Golf into this half...

After all the run up to Christmas had plenty of games.
Fri 13/02/04 at 13:39
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
That was one example, they do it all the time.
Fri 13/02/04 at 14:28
Regular
"gsybe you!"
No, Mario Golf is the only one I've seen being delayed that long.

All the big titles have been very quick or even before the US. They're a lot better at that now.
Fri 13/02/04 at 16:26
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Hmm, Animal Crossing....
Fri 13/02/04 at 17:40
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Yes, but Animal Crossing actually depends on localisation to make the game work.

True, it has not been released here, but it is a 'special' case as it were.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.