GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"School days, best days of your life not..........."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 11/08/01 at 13:56
Regular
Unless you've been kidnapped by aliens for perverse sexual experiments and lets face it this hideous fate only ever befalls snaglle tootehed beauties from Alabama you can't have failed to notice the swathes of nostalgia TV that is dominating TV at the moment. I've taken to consulting TV guides at all times to avoid inadvertently flicking onto the Best of 1987 or any of those shows that inadvertently transfer me straight back to being fat, fourteen and getting my head kicked in by the schools pond life.
I keeping wandering if its just me that has this aversion to relieving hideous bits of my teenage years. Maybe because some of them were blighted by being bullied. Bullied for the usual reasons, overweight, clever and posh. Weird how being half bright automatically makes you posh, but pubescent bullies are unlikely to make fine social distinctions like that.
Anyway I don't want to be reminded of that. There are entire chunks of my school life I would rather put in the vault never to be disturbed again. But this seems out of keeping with the rest of the universe.
There is now a club called "School Disco". School uniform is obligatory and everyone dances to crap 80's and 90's music whilst desperately trying to cop off.God I'd rather beat myself to death with the bloodied stump of my own arm then go through that again.
I like clubbing. I don't want it to be confused with the social and sexual hell that a school disco was. This is clearly a place for people who don't like music and are probably trying to relive their glory years as the most popular person on the planet. The planet at that time being some non-descript school in non- descript town. Big fishes and small ponds and all that. The best thing about leaving school is realising there is a whole big world out there. Maybe I've just had an irony by pass and humour failure in one horrible blow leaving me immune to school days retro chic, but no thanks.
Which then brings me onto the whole subject of websites devoted to reuniting you with your long lost chums from your school days. I've always thought that I'd rather take a casual stroll through hell on a hot day then attend a school reunion. I have friends from schooldays and I've managed to maintain the friendships without the aid of a website or falsely constructed reunions.
These websites are inevitably filled with postings relating to amusing incidents with Mr Collins the science teacher dissected frog and nubile supply teacher locked in the science cupboard during double physics. Has nothing more significant happened to them since then?
Maybe there is a place for nostalgia. Had I been the most popular girl in the school I might yearn to reminisce endlessly about those halcyon days but I doubt it. Life is about ideas, change, growth, movement. Being hung up on one particular era or time no matter how marvellous it was is regressive.
Mon 13/08/01 at 17:56
Sorry: Meka_Dragon, my apologies.
Mon 13/08/01 at 17:54
Meka_Gragon wrote:

Once the kids get to
> 14 or so, before they start their GCSE's why not give them a simple
> choice, do you wish to go through this, or would you rather go out,
> and earn some money.

This is a good point, especially when you consider that you are permitted to leave at 16. This takes you into a second year of GCSE's which seems to be daft as it forces a year of wasted time for those who have no intention of working for GCSE's. Much better to release the burden and let them do what they want without disrupting those that want to learn.
Mon 13/08/01 at 17:42
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Unfortunately, school days are the best of your life. Life consists of one crushing disappointment after another, until you die.

Wings Hauser rules!
Mon 13/08/01 at 15:55
SHEEPY wrote:
> Are you Thom Yorke... Kitty that is?

Just wondering.
What Radiohead wordsmith and angst mesiter? No sorry I'm not. I'm not even sure if thats supposed to be an insult or compliment. Shall go and ponder.......
Mon 13/08/01 at 13:49
Regular
"not dead"
I don't know why we force kids to go to school.

Those that really don't want to be there, those that have no desire to learn, anyway, only fail all of their exams anyway, and make the lives of kids that do want to be there a misery.

Every get frustrated at school that the problem children got special attention?

Once the kids get to 14 or so, before they start their GCSE's why not give them a simple choice, do you wish to go through this, or would you rather go out, and earn some money.

If they choose not to continue school, then they'll no longer be wasting resources, wasting teacher time etc. They could be given low paid jobs for two years (until they would have finished school) working for local councils doing things like picking up litter, or basic office work - whatever they were capable and willing to do.

If they choose not to do this either, what would you do with them though? Exterminate them?
Mon 13/08/01 at 13:42
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I've said this before, we do it the wrong way round.

Do the whole life thing backwards:

Enjoy the 1st 15-20 years of your life in "retirement" on a pension (hey, you dont need that much at that age anyway).

Choose a job, dont worry about exams because you'll learn anyway.
Work for the next 30 years.

Finish work aged 60 and then go to school.
Except you'd already have done your job, so you choose the subject you'd find interesting and would know everything anyway at that age, so it'd be more like a social club

Everyone would be calm, willing to sit and listen and no bullying.

Seems so simple, there must be a catch somewhere, no?
Mon 13/08/01 at 13:24
Regular
"not dead"
Goatboy wrote:
> I find it incredible that, aged 16, you are supposed to take exams
> that would decide your future life based on the results.

16? You
> are only just allowed to smoke, you cant buy beer or drive a car -
> Yet you are adult enough to plan your life based on some
> exams?

>Seems a little screwy to me.

But it's two years before that, at the end of the 3rd year, that you decide which subjects you will take to do GCSE's in!

You're more bothered about what your friends will do so you can sit together, and getting into the same class as the most attractive girls in the year.

But you're expected to make these choices?

Maybe we've got it all wrong?

Maybe you should only go to school until your 14 or so, go out and do a meneal job for a few years, think about life a bit, then go back into education to train to do something you'd really like to do?

A flawed idea I know.
Mon 13/08/01 at 13:19
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I find it incredible that, aged 16, you are supposed to take exams that would decide your future life based on the results.

16? You are only just allowed to smoke, you cant buy beer or drive a car - Yet you are adult enough to plan your life based on some exams?

Seems a little screwy to me.
Mon 13/08/01 at 13:17
Regular
"not dead"
School was crap.

Sixth Form was much better, as there seems to be a bit of a toe-head filter, that stops the horrible kids, those that made youe life a misery from getting in.

Luckily most of the trouble makers didn't want to pursue an education, so they didn't go when they didn't need to.

So yeah, I loved my Sixth Form days, and still go out with many of the people I knew at Sixth Form.

But it was no bunch of roses.

Growing up is touch, deciding what you want to do with your life isn't easy.

I prefer my life now, I have my family around me, I have a decent job, I have nothing to be afraid of, no insecurities, I'm perfectly happy.
Mon 13/08/01 at 12:28
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Kitty wrote:
> When you wrote about people coming up to you and
> pretending like you were big chums at school do they
> really not remember being b*****ds or is it all so far in
> the past the rose tinted glasses have got glued to their
> noses.

I think it's the usual knee jerk reaction to be nice to someone in a wheelchair. It doesn't bother me with most people but it does with those who I used to go to school with who, if I wasn't in a wheelchair, would probably just ignore me.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.