GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why? Stupid gaming cliche"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Gladius'.
Fri 20/02/04 at 23:53
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I've been enjoying Gladius. 55hrs into it, still haven't done the other storyline and haven't left the 3rd land yet.
But I've come up against that traditional, boring-ass cliche that seems to crop up in most games I've played.

The "Now's the part where it's nothing to do with skill, just repeated plays until luck falls your way" portion of a game.
Why? Why do developers do this?
This game, so far, has been tactical and almost chess-like in the necessity to plan each move, to consider where your opponents may move and how best to defend/attack.
Until now.
Having endured the oh-so-surprising "twist" where your surly companion finally decides (after *so* much whining and threats) to defect...*clasps hands to cheeks in mock Home-Alone-style surprise*...and you just know you'll end up facing him in the finale because that always happens in games - your once-close compadre decides to become evil and then disappears until the final encounter where, having spent so much time and money levelling him up/equipping him, it makes a complete mockery of your work by taking him away.

But I am now stuck.
Well and truly, red-faced-anger-inducing, swearing in guttural snarls, wanting to smash somebody's face in, hoarse-voiced-from-screaming-at-the-tv angry.
Being betrayed again...*sigh*...I now have to battle my once loyal gladiator nubian I picked up along the way.
Oh, oh...but not just him. Ohhhhhhhhhhhh no, because that would merely be bloody difficult.
No, in order to make it retardedly hard - the developers obviously sat around and thought
"Now, we've taken his two best medium fighters away from him. So, we'll give him 3 medium fighters. Against their old mate. And 3 summoners."
So you have 3 Gladiators against 4 enemy.
Fair enough, not 100% impossible with some planning and tactics. That's why this game is good.
But just to add that extra soupcon of hate-inducing frustration?

Let's have the 3 summoners able to conjure up Skeletons/Scarabs/Eagles!!!
Yeah! Because now you have 3 Gladiators fighting 7 enemies! Great! Dig it!
Ooo ooo, and to put the anger-icing on the cake?
Have your main Hero character, the one that cannot die else it's game-over be struck straight away by your ex-chum. Yep.
Oh, and then you can have the summoners bring forth their 3 extra enemies straight away before you are allowed to move!!! Brilliant!!!
So, what you have is your must-stay-alive Hero absolutely surrounded on all sides with no way to escape. And the summoners using "freeze" blasts on you, so you forfeit what occasional turns you do get.
And the other 2 of your team? They're waaaaaaaaaaaay over the other side of the arena, so by the time they get in range, it's over.
But just in case you might withstand an attack from every direction at once?
The summoners can also scatter your team with a magic-blast.
Which means instead of you being next to, finally, a summoner and ready to have a crack?
You end up the other side of the arena with 4 enemies and 3 conjured beasts coming at you.

It's retarded. No, really it is.
It's taken me 2 days off-and-on playing to repeatedly throw myself at this level until I have now reached the point of never wanting to play it again.
Stupid game design that can kill a perfectly well executed surprisingly good title.
Sat 21/02/04 at 09:37
Regular
"tokyo police club"
Developers throw everything out of the window when it comes to 'big' stuff.

'Oh, they'll enjoy this'
Sat 21/02/04 at 08:39
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
I've run up against similar idiotic game design in Kill Switch on PS2. You play through to the last level by using cover, covering fire etc. Last level has tons of rooms with NO COVER and fire coming from all 4 sides.
Sat 21/02/04 at 00:02
"I love yo... lamp."
I sympathise with you.

The only suggestion I have is you look for a walkthrough on www.gamefaqs.com, someone might have found tactics that work well and get you through it.
Fri 20/02/04 at 23:53
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I've been enjoying Gladius. 55hrs into it, still haven't done the other storyline and haven't left the 3rd land yet.
But I've come up against that traditional, boring-ass cliche that seems to crop up in most games I've played.

The "Now's the part where it's nothing to do with skill, just repeated plays until luck falls your way" portion of a game.
Why? Why do developers do this?
This game, so far, has been tactical and almost chess-like in the necessity to plan each move, to consider where your opponents may move and how best to defend/attack.
Until now.
Having endured the oh-so-surprising "twist" where your surly companion finally decides (after *so* much whining and threats) to defect...*clasps hands to cheeks in mock Home-Alone-style surprise*...and you just know you'll end up facing him in the finale because that always happens in games - your once-close compadre decides to become evil and then disappears until the final encounter where, having spent so much time and money levelling him up/equipping him, it makes a complete mockery of your work by taking him away.

But I am now stuck.
Well and truly, red-faced-anger-inducing, swearing in guttural snarls, wanting to smash somebody's face in, hoarse-voiced-from-screaming-at-the-tv angry.
Being betrayed again...*sigh*...I now have to battle my once loyal gladiator nubian I picked up along the way.
Oh, oh...but not just him. Ohhhhhhhhhhhh no, because that would merely be bloody difficult.
No, in order to make it retardedly hard - the developers obviously sat around and thought
"Now, we've taken his two best medium fighters away from him. So, we'll give him 3 medium fighters. Against their old mate. And 3 summoners."
So you have 3 Gladiators against 4 enemy.
Fair enough, not 100% impossible with some planning and tactics. That's why this game is good.
But just to add that extra soupcon of hate-inducing frustration?

Let's have the 3 summoners able to conjure up Skeletons/Scarabs/Eagles!!!
Yeah! Because now you have 3 Gladiators fighting 7 enemies! Great! Dig it!
Ooo ooo, and to put the anger-icing on the cake?
Have your main Hero character, the one that cannot die else it's game-over be struck straight away by your ex-chum. Yep.
Oh, and then you can have the summoners bring forth their 3 extra enemies straight away before you are allowed to move!!! Brilliant!!!
So, what you have is your must-stay-alive Hero absolutely surrounded on all sides with no way to escape. And the summoners using "freeze" blasts on you, so you forfeit what occasional turns you do get.
And the other 2 of your team? They're waaaaaaaaaaaay over the other side of the arena, so by the time they get in range, it's over.
But just in case you might withstand an attack from every direction at once?
The summoners can also scatter your team with a magic-blast.
Which means instead of you being next to, finally, a summoner and ready to have a crack?
You end up the other side of the arena with 4 enemies and 3 conjured beasts coming at you.

It's retarded. No, really it is.
It's taken me 2 days off-and-on playing to repeatedly throw myself at this level until I have now reached the point of never wanting to play it again.
Stupid game design that can kill a perfectly well executed surprisingly good title.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.