GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"nintendo bankrupt"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 21/02/04 at 20:12
Regular
"Underbean"
i do think nintendo will go bust and will have to sell their name to sony or something their spending loads of money on gamecubes which arent the most popular of the consoles and dont rake in a whole lot of dough, but maybe with its new game line up: zelda, ffcc, metroid2, mario golf, harvest moon maybe people will just start buying it, i don't see why they've started releasing the best games 2 years after its realease, they could have got a lot more money if they planned it out better, i mean no mario, what a let down, they should concentrate on the DS now and the gamecube 2 so they get it right on thier realease date
Tue 24/02/04 at 00:53
Regular
If Nintendo went multi-format I'd leave gaming... not because I'm a sad obsessive but because I can't afford more than one console.

The senior management aren't all stupid... they are doing really well regarding the GBA SP.

And there are still trading cards although not in huge droves as before...

And it is all still popular in Japan... toys, cards everything... Pokemon still does rule.
Tue 24/02/04 at 00:26
"I love yo... lamp."
Dringo wrote:

> Nintendo aren't as stupid as they look... sure it seems dodgy but I'm
> sure they know what they are doing.

Oh the senior mangement most defintely are...
>
> Ah the major difference here is that Nintendo make money from their
> software... The Gamecube does lose money BUT the software makes
> Nintendo money... that's the main difference to the likes of
> Microsoft and Sony.... whilst Microsoft do have their own games
> studio's they do not publish as many Games as Nintendo do.
>
True. From a business point of view that is the saving grace for the Gamecube. Whilst all games sold on any system make the makers money in royalties, Nintendo publish a lot more games than Sony or Microsoft.

Although the flip side to that is that there is less third party support. Which could possibly be just as bad.

> If the N5 isn't released until after 2005 then I see Nintendo being
> in a rather tight spot indeed.
>
> It'll be released the same time as the other systems.
>
That's what they say. But I don't trust them. Nintendo and delays are like cheese and wine, stockings and suspenders, coffee and macaroni - they just always come together.

> Oh and remember that Nintendo got only 49% of the price of Rare.
> $183.75 million.
>
> Not too much then :P

Sure, we could both find £100 million plenty, but a company with lots of employees won't find it lasting very long.
>
> Pokemon no longer makes such stupidly high amounts of money.
>
> Not in America and Europe although it still hits the number one
> spot... but in Japan 2 Pokemon re-releases released a few weeks back
> sold a million copies in a week.
>
> A million bloody copies at about £30, an upgraded port, on
> games that don't need to cost that much anyway....

Whilst I've never liked Pokemon, it is what kept them afloat through the late 90's. But it doesn't make as much as it once did, there aren't the movies, the beanie babys or even lunch boxes anymore, not to mention those trading cards.
>
> Nintendo make one hell of a living off their software.

And they blow it all on hardware. They would make so much money, and bring joy to so many more people if they went multiformat. And if the N5 doesn't capture at least 25% of the home console market, I think it is what they should do.
Mon 23/02/04 at 23:53
Regular
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> From a business point of view I am worried about the DS. Simply
> because handhelds are what have kept Nintendo afloat since the SNES.
> And by releasing a third console, the geopardise the GBA.

Nintendo aren't as stupid as they look... sure it seems dodgy but I'm sure they know what they are doing.

> The Gamecube loses money. Not as much as the Xbox true, but then

Ah the major difference here is that Nintendo make money from their software... The Gamecube does lose money BUT the software makes Nintendo money... that's the main difference to the likes of Microsoft and Sony.... whilst Microsoft do have their own games studio's they do not publish as many Games as Nintendo do.

> If the N5 isn't released until after 2005 then I see Nintendo being
> in a rather tight spot indeed.

It'll be released the same time as the other systems.

> Oh and remember that Nintendo got only 49% of the price of Rare.
> $183.75 million.

Not too much then :P

> Pokemon no longer makes such stupidly high amounts of money.

Not in America and Europe although it still hits the number one spot... but in Japan 2 Pokemon re-releases released a few weeks back sold a million copies in a week.

A million bloody copies at about £30, an upgraded port, on games that don't need to cost that much anyway....

Nintendo make one hell of a living off their software.
Mon 23/02/04 at 23:48
Regular
chatterbox wrote:
> i meant no mario on gc reales, come to think of it no zelda or metroid
> or fox or kirby, just luigi and sonic hmmmmmmmm??

And Star wars

2 weeks later there was Smash Brothers

And a month after that Pikmin.

There were a tonne of games at launch just no AAA... but it was still a more successful launch than X-box.

Oh and not to mention Super Monkey Ball.
Mon 23/02/04 at 22:34
Regular
"8==="
Notorious Biggles wrote:
>
> The Gamecube loses money. Not as much as the Xbox true, but then
> Nintendo don't make billions elsewhere.
>

True, but they do make millions elsewhere in handheld gaming.
Mon 23/02/04 at 22:13
Regular
"with a blunt knife"
and may i remind people that there were rumours of them stopping making consoles but with the management they have at the moment (thank god Yamauchi is gone) i never think that will happen.
Mon 23/02/04 at 21:47
"period drama"
I don't think so.
Actually, I don't think Ninty are going to take DS too seriously at all. More of a general poke at the market to see if their 'don't change the games, change the way we play them' idea catches any interest.

As they said - a 10% interest in it would suit them fine.
Mon 23/02/04 at 19:19
"I love yo... lamp."
From a business point of view I am worried about the DS. Simply because handhelds are what have kept Nintendo afloat since the SNES. And by releasing a third console, the geopardise the GBA.

The Gamecube loses money. Not as much as the Xbox true, but then Nintendo don't make billions elsewhere.

If the N5 isn't released until after 2005 then I see Nintendo being in a rather tight spot indeed.

Oh and remember that Nintendo got only 49% of the price of Rare. $183.75 million.

Pokemon no longer makes such stupidly high amounts of money.
Mon 23/02/04 at 19:03
Regular
"thursdayton!"
chatterbox wrote:
> the n-gage aint half rubbish

Too right, it's completely rubbish.
Mon 23/02/04 at 18:27
Regular
"Underbean"
i totaly agree, and who was the stupid one to think they could turn a phone into a games console, its a good idea kind of, but it didn't work, the n-gage aint half rubbish

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.