GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why there's no DRIV3R on the Cube"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Driv3r'.
Mon 23/02/04 at 15:33
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
In a recent interview, head honcho of Driv3r, Martin Edmondson talks about the GameCube version which was not to be; not just down to processor power, it's about how data is processed etc etc

Quote:
"Edmondson: As for the GameCube, the machine is just not geared toward games like Driv3r, it couldn't handle that level of detail. We have some ex-Rare people who know the 'Cube very well, and what it came down to at the end of the day was: "we can do it if we cut down on this detail" - and we weren't prepared to do that. "
Mon 23/02/04 at 15:33
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
In a recent interview, head honcho of Driv3r, Martin Edmondson talks about the GameCube version which was not to be; not just down to processor power, it's about how data is processed etc etc

Quote:
"Edmondson: As for the GameCube, the machine is just not geared toward games like Driv3r, it couldn't handle that level of detail. We have some ex-Rare people who know the 'Cube very well, and what it came down to at the end of the day was: "we can do it if we cut down on this detail" - and we weren't prepared to do that. "
Mon 23/02/04 at 15:35
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
fantastic reply from someone on another forum:

Chadruharazzeb

Clearly our eyes have been deceiving us, and the GC cannot handle games like F-Zero GX or Metroid Prime. You would think, though, that it'd be able to deal with a game as unspectacular as Driver.

What a pr*ck.
Mon 23/02/04 at 16:11
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Well it's being developed by some company in Durham/Newcastle, and going that they hire strange people like the ex-b/f of the girl upstaires from me to do their scripting, no wonders they're having problems getting it finished and out on the shelves on time on the platforms they are releasing it on.

They probably too rubbish to make a decent Cube version.

:)
Mon 23/02/04 at 17:26
"cheerios"
That is completely untrue - I mean if you just look at the graphics and detail on some of the Gamecube's games - it's brilliant. Anyway, I never wanted to get this game.
Mon 23/02/04 at 17:34
Regular
"tokyo police club"
And they're making a PS2 version?

hahah
Mon 23/02/04 at 17:38
Regular
That's just a cheap blow-off.

Of course the GameCube can handle that level of detail.
Mon 23/02/04 at 18:07
"I love yo... lamp."
I could have understood it if they had found the sales projections for the Gamecube version wouldn't be high enough to break even on the porting costs.

But not able to handle the detail? Crap-o-rama. The GC is similar to the Mac architecture and they are more powerful than the PC. From experience, there is no issue in shifting the bits around.
Mon 23/02/04 at 18:07
Regular
"gsybe you!"
But surely, (with any multi-format game) actual conversion is relatively cheap?! Obviously the Cube can handle far more than a PS2, that's not the real point. If the Cube and Xbox are apparantly so close, and the PS2 being a guaranteed sale, surely a conversion to all 3 formats maximises all the possible sales.

I mean, they know Cube owners can actually be over 11. How much does it really cost to give the Cube the game as well as the other two formats? Even if it actually cost them quite a lot, surely overall sales would easily offset this. I don't doubt it'd sell very well on Cube.
Mon 23/02/04 at 18:35
"I love yo... lamp."
It would probably cost fairly little, but it depends on how they coded it.

But would it sell well? I'd guess that the average age of a Gamecube owner is younger than that of an average Xbox owner, hence Xbox owners would be more likely to buy it. Well possibly, I'm just looking for reasons.

I think it looks fairly crap anyway. No big deal.
Mon 23/02/04 at 18:47
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
It looks a B**ody excellent game on PS2 (the latest OPS2 mag had a running trailer of it on the disc) and if the PS2 can do that kind of thing I don't see why the GC can't.

Having said that Driver 3 has been in development ages and I'm guessing that it's taken them ages to figure out how to squeeze the power out of the PS2. Maybe they just don't have the time or think it is worth it to do likewise on the Gamecube given likely sales ?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.