GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Scissors, Paper, Stone"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 08/08/01 at 18:20
Regular
A simple enough concept, really.

Scissors beats paper, which beats rock, which in turn beats the scissors.

Very similar to a lot of games, don't you think?

Let's take beat em ups, as an example.

We have "ordinary moves", "grabs", and "blocks/counters". You can pretty much sum up the vast majority of the play with just those three types of move.

Similar sort of thing with a lot of RTS games, too - eg, the regular troops will beat the ranged seige weapons, which beat the slow, armoured units, which beat the regular troops.

So, why is it that such an old game encapsulates the essence of so much of modern gaming? Was it ahead of its time?

Ever played rock scissors paper against a computer program?
It's not much fun - there's no psychology.

Perhaps this explains why computer opponents can never be as 'entertaining' as real life opposition?

Any thoughts?
Sat 11/08/01 at 10:39
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
shaneo wrote:
> In RPS, I almost beat everyone I play. They always choose it on
> order like this.

Rock.
Paper.
Scissors.

Now, when they draw
> Rock, I know they'll pick Paper next so I know to have scissors
> ready. No-one ever figures out how I beat them.

Thank god I'm and
> like I always say. If god was a villian, he'd be me!

HAHA!! Next time I face you in a match, you SHALL be beaten!!
Sat 11/08/01 at 10:08
Regular
i was thinkind about the rock paper scissors thing the other day, it works so well with the pokemon starting pokemon you choose from proffesor oak -
grass beat water,
water beats fire and
fire beats grass.
Sat 11/08/01 at 10:07
Regular
"( . ) ( . )"
In RPS, I almost beat everyone I play. They always choose it on order like this.

Rock.
Paper.
Scissors.

Now, when they draw Rock, I know they'll pick Paper next so I know to have scissors ready. No-one ever figures out how I beat them.

Thank god I'm and like I always say. If god was a villian, he'd be me!
Sat 11/08/01 at 10:04
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Ah, but humans are unpredictable in a more predicatble way, if you know what I mean.

Computers can do random to a sufficient degree, and they can do predictability very well, but they won't do what humans do.

In scissors paper stone, for example, a 'random' computer might do well in so far as being difficult to defeat, but a human who could analyse his or her opponents moves might do significantly better against a human opponent.

The point is, the AI doesn't need to be better in itself, it needs to be better at adapting to different opponents, analysing their performance and predicting likely strategies - and then taking appropriate countermeasures - that's what makes the difference between a good human and an AI algorithm.
Fri 10/08/01 at 13:17
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Naw Naw Naw

"Craig uve got lava an it beats yer papar, rock an scissors, so ye lose..."

Ah bog off

What a lovely childhood :D
Fri 10/08/01 at 12:00
Regular
Rock beats scissors, scissors beats paper, paper beats rock, bad tempered monkey destroys all.

If this topic is about how ai could be improved, then I suggest perhaps that a more random element to ai is used... everything is coded to react to the way that you work. If the computer has to be as human as possible, then perhaps it needs to be as unpredictable as humans...
Thu 09/08/01 at 12:57
Regular
"not dead"
The concept of rock, scissors, paper is remarkably simple, therefore suited to early games.

Many of todays games are still based on these early models, so the same rock, scissors, paper concept is used in the games.
Thu 09/08/01 at 01:35
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Rock

Paper

Scissors

I love that game... I always used to tell my younger sister that I could pick after she had because I was older... I never lost... until the day I hit my head on the patio and thought that a rock might make a hole in the scissors...!

My brother used to say water was one as well....

(Water wins 2/3 - Sinks Rock Rusts Scissors...)

What idiot wouldn't pick water...

me actually... I wasn't over 8 so I had to pick one of the other 3...

Game
Wed 08/08/01 at 22:29
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
I would like to play a real game of rock, paper, scissors. With real objects. A large stone, some really razer sharp paper, and some garden shears.

Paper vs Rock- Wrap the paper around the rock and cut the oppanant.

Scissors vs Paper- Chop the paper in half and chop opponant hand off my "mistake"

Scissors vs Rock- Let the rock beat submission into the scissors and "accidently" drop it on opponants head.

Enjoy!

I will not be held responsible for any injuries.

;)
Wed 08/08/01 at 21:14
Ok I read this post and decided to see if it was possible to make a game of Rock Paper Scissors, that it completely unbiased, so here it is.

http://members.tripod.co.uk/ MurderSite/RockPaperScissors.exe

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.