GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Looking forward..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 28/02/04 at 03:15
Regular
"8==="
Another year of Shoot 'em ups and I for one can't wait!

I bought my N64 for the shoot 'em ups and I bought the Xbox for the same reason.

So looking forward we have:

Conflict Vietnam.

Using the Conflict: Desert Storm engine this looks to be nicely evolved over it's predecessors, for starters there are points to be earned and spent on your character (no more automatic skill upgrades!) allowing you to choose how you approach missions as the gmae progresses. NAPALM, deformable structures, the system has been updated and now further encourages players to assault troops from multiple angles.
There are missions set in rivers, jungle, towns and mountainous areas. The game now has ragdoll physics with detachable limbs and bloodspray. The AI has been improved with soldiers being able to peek round doors and slide along walls to make themselves harder targets.
A lot is being thrown into this game and it looks excellent.

Armed and Dangerous

This appears to be a cross between Serious Sam#s empahasis on shooting a lot of things and Conker's Bad Fur Day, except the games difficulty level will force you to strategise a lot.

Rogue Ops

Acually out now. This appears to be a hybrid of Splinter Cell and Perfect Dark, although it is supposedly worth playing it doesn't match up to either. Looks like what I was expecting PNo3 to be.

Bond: everything or nothing

More Bond third person, new stuff etc etc. You get the picture and hey it can't be as bad as the previous 3... can it? :S

Unreal 2

Should grasp Xbox Live gamers by the goolies and possibly ease off slightly whenever the hell bungie release Halo 2.

Dead Man's Hand

About bloody time we had a Wild West shoot 'em up, full of cliches and appearing on Live, start practicing your Clint Eastwood impressions.

Deus Ex 2

If you don't know, I'm not telling you. :P

Splinter Cell 2

See Deus Ex 2

Operation Flashpoint

Perhaps Ghost Recon is going to be taught a few lessons in warfare?

StarCraft Ghost

Yep another stealth 'em up. Should be good after the amount of development time thrown at it...

Thief 3 and Full Spectrum Warrior

See Deus Ex 2

So it looks like there's a great deal of Stealthy-blasty-snipey-napalming-greatness coming our way over the following months.

Excellent! :D
Sat 28/02/04 at 22:11
Regular
"8==="
I knew about Far Cry about a year ago. I remember the nice palm tree and beach screen shots and at the time I thought 'this should give Halo a good run for it's money".

I expect it on Xbox at some point.

Failing that: Xbox 2.
Sun 29/02/04 at 00:06
Regular
Well it only just abouts runs on a Pentium 3.2GHZ with 1GB RAM and a 9800 XT 256mb graphics card. That should tell you how it will look on the Xbox aand taking away the grapyhical elements like the enemy AI and awesome ragdol physics coupled with a huge draw distance would just spoil it. The Xbox failed to replicate Max Payne 2 with any conviction so I highly doubt it will even look half as good as the PC version.
Sun 29/02/04 at 01:21
Regular
"8==="
So it'll be a "Far Cry" from the PC version then? ;D
Sun 29/02/04 at 01:23
Regular
"Remember me?"
*tumbleweed rolls past, and people cough*

A baby just died.
Sun 29/02/04 at 01:23
Regular
Heh!

If it gets released. It could do an "Operation Flashpoint" and bu*ger off for 3 years with numreous release dates. It would make sense to take advantage of Xbox 2 hardware as it won't shine on the current Xbox hardware due to limitations.
Sun 29/02/04 at 01:29
Regular
"8==="
Joke had to be done.

I really like the look of Far Cry so I hope it'll gravitate to a console at some point.

If Sony have any sense they should buy the company now and launch the PS3 with a nice Halo clone.

But only if they finally make a decent controller.
Sun 29/02/04 at 01:44
Regular
"Remember me?"
Hedfix wrote:
> But only if they finally make a decent controller.

Yeah, it is about time Sony got around to doing that.
Sun 29/02/04 at 02:46
Regular
"tokyo police club"
Halo > all
Sun 29/02/04 at 03:06
Regular
"8==="
Yeah, Halo's partly made from an art perspective which gives it an untapped edge as far as most games go.

I expect Halo 2 to be the most rounded of the three big shooters people're looking out for. I expect Half-life to excel in single player and I expect Doom III to excel online, Halo 2 will most likely be the most rounded and thus give both the other games a good run for their money.
Sun 29/02/04 at 03:32
Regular
"Remember me?"
> Conflict Vietnam.

Doesn't really interest me, this one. I'm assuming it's a sequel (of sorts) to the Conflict: Desert Storm games; only this time in Vietnam instead of Iraq/Iran/Canada. I'm not a big fan of those games, so I'll give this one a miss.

> Armed and Dangerous

This one caught my attention, but only because of the wacky weaponry available. Other than that, it doesn't look like it does anything particularly special... or particularly well. The graphics are dire; the animation jerky and nauseating; and I think that with all the other FPS's out now or coming out this year, Armed and Dangerous just won't cut it.

> Rogue Ops

Supposedly crap. It didn't interest me in the first place, so I'll avoid it.

> James Bond 007: Everything or Nothing

I bought this today and it's absolutely fantastic. Easily the best Bond game so far and the first really good Bond game since GoldenEye. Everything or Nothing is so varied and it genuinely excites me (though not sexually; no matter how sexy Brosnan is) when I'm playing it.

> Unreal II: The Awakening

If it's anything like Unreal Championship then I'll be spending hours most nights. Unreal II supposedly employs character classes and some original gameplay types too, along with vehicles(!)... which should be interesting.

> Dead Man's Hand

If this turns out to be any good, it'll be VERY good. This caught my attention immediately, as by providing players with a whole new setting online (the Wild West, as opposed to another generic not-too-distant future sci-fi setting), it instantly opens up a wealth of ideas and new gameplay elements that could be employed. I'll be keeping a close eye on this one.

> Deus Ex: Invisible War

I played the demo of this yesterday and thought it was quite good; albeit one of those games that you need to spend some serious time with before you can really get into it properly. The fact that it mixes FPS elements with RPG type stuff will keep it different enough from all the other shooters on the market.

> Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow

While I won't deny that Splinter Cell was a brilliant game, I found it far too hard. Pandora Tomorrow appears to be more of the same... however the Live play has gotten me interested. I'll be watching this one and I'll decide whether or not to get it closer to its' release; when I know more about it.

> Operation Flashpoint

From what I've heard, this is a really good game on the PC. Whether or not it'll cut it on Xbox Live - with its' obligatory 16 player limitations - remains to be seen. Nonetheless, I'm curious to see how this turns out on Xbox.

> StarCraft Ghost

Quite frankly, I'm not interested in the slightest. I haven't seen or heard anything regarding this game that makes me want it.

> Thief III

This looks like a similar thing to Deus Ex. One FPS/RPG hybrid's enough for me, so Thief III shalt not enter my house.

> Full Spectrum Warrior

I saw footage of this and wondered why anyone even wasted the time, effort and money in getting excited about it. From what I see, little or no shooting's involved. Plus it's based on software created for an actual army simulation. Muh? Who cares? Leave me alone.

-

On top of those... Halo 2 and Doom III will definately be coming my way, and Half-Life 2 will more than likely find itself shoved in my Xbox when/if it eventually comes out. Far Cry hasn't particularly interested me as of yet.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.