GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Freeola launch new Favicons - What do I win ;¬)"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 04/02/10 at 17:52
"Are you sure?"
Surprised no one else has mentioned this! ;¬)

New Freeola Favicons today!
here and here and here MyFreeola missed out and still has this...

Here's an idea - it would be nice if the forum code allowed 'trusted' members to post images directly into the forum.
This could be done on a per user user basis or by number of posts etc. then I could have shown the images rather than linked to them...
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 10/02/10 at 12:02
Regular
"Embrace the Martian"
Hmmm... wrote:
> For FF users there appear to be some plugins, search for
> Favicon
> Picker
here's one but there are others to look at.

I've tried using this or something similar before, as much as they say you gain more control over the caching of Favicon's, it still is a problem.

I might just have to make my own build of web browser using web kit and build absolutely no caching into it at all.
Tue 09/02/10 at 14:29
"Are you sure?"
LukeM and Digi wrote:
> Favicons are a bit hit or miss...

I'll agree with that.
I'm surprised it's taking so long to sort things out properly.
I'm not up with how IE8/FF3.6 (and other recent browsers) deal with it but here's my 2c...

The problem seems to be down to storing the .ico files in temporary files.

If you clear your temp files/history (or it expires) then you will also be removing your Favions. Which is fair enough - but if you've added them to your favourites/bookmarks then the browser shouldn't store them in your temp. files!

I use a program called FavOrg with IE7 (released by PCMag - used to be free but now they want $8). This works well, by storing a unique Favicon for each of your favourites. You can also override/replace Favicons if you like.
I'm looking at some early Freeola ones as I type this :¬)

AM-Deadlink is another similar program, but I haven't any experience of this.

For FF users there appear to be some plugins, search for Favicon Picker here's one but there are others to look at.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Tue 09/02/10 at 14:09
Staff
"The Killer Techie"
Warhunt wrote:
I wouldn't be suprised to find a large, if not majority, still using 7.

Such as Warhunt. Somebody care to convince him to upgrade? I've tried.
Tue 09/02/10 at 13:24
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Yeah with the Mega Explorer 6 dying out people will generally bump up to 8 (hopefully) but I wouldn't be suprised to find a large, if not majority, still using 7.
Tue 09/02/10 at 12:41
Regular
yeah but IE6 is dead and will soon be no longer used as more and more old computers die and are replaced :-)

Digi
Tue 09/02/10 at 10:20
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
You'd be suprised at the amount of users that do not use IE8. Haven't looked at the last set of "stats" but IE6 was far more used than IE7 when it was out so I imagine it was the same.
Tue 09/02/10 at 10:01
Regular
Hi Luke
I agree favicons are very hitty missy! we use them on all our sites and all show in IE8 and in Firefox and in safari. These I think will be the 3 major browsers that any of our veiwers would be using to look at our sites. But in the past browsers some days the favicons worked other days they didnt!

Digi
Mon 08/02/10 at 18:17
Regular
"Embrace the Martian"
Hmmm... wrote:
> Hi Digi,
> It looks like it's an IE8 'feature' with how Freeola created
> their .ico files.
>
> Like you, using IE8 I see different results.
> The original links I created to Freeola's Favicons all show a
> blank page apart from the newly created MyFreeola one for me.
>
> The good news is that they all display in the address bar/tabs
> etc. !
>
> I can display my new
> Favicon
directly with IE8, so I guess it's just how
> Freeola created their .ico files.

As far as we were aware we created all of the favicons in the same way but our MyFreeola one still translates into an image when view by itself in a browser. The others for gaming, freeola.com and getdotted.com all do not show because they shouldn't.

Favicons are a bit hit or miss IMHO.
Sun 07/02/10 at 17:13
"Are you sure?"
Hi Digi,
It looks like it's an IE8 'feature' with how Freeola created their .ico files.

Like you, using IE8 I see different results.
The original links I created to Freeola's Favicons all show a blank page apart from the newly created MyFreeola one for me.

The good news is that they all display in the address bar/tabs etc. !

I can display my new Favicon directly with IE8, so I guess it's just how Freeola created their .ico files.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sun 07/02/10 at 12:02
Regular
Hi Hmmm
been watching this thread but I use IE 8 with windows 7 and the 3 links you post showing the favicons I only see 1 favicon the other 2 links just show me a blank page, am I doing some thing wrong? am I lacking a plugin?

Digi

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.