GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Are you experienced? Well that's just too bad!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 02/03/04 at 03:07
Regular
It looks like it's coming towards the end of the line for me, as far as gaming goes. It's been going down hill ever since... well... ever since either Goldeneye or Pokémon Red... or maybe WWF No Mercy...

I can't remember the exact ups and downs, but I remember there being about 6 months between finishing Conker's Bad Fur Day and getting my mitts on the Gamecube, and by then something had changed.

Gaming stopped being THE most important thing in my life and from there, although I didn't really notice it at the time, I slowly started losing all interest.

Infact, the most fun I've had from gaming recently is a heavy hit of nostalgia (although Metroid Prime has managed to very pleasantly surprise me, but I know that if I'd played this game 2 years ago, pleasantly surprised would be the biggest understatement ever).

I just don't enjoy games like I used to.
And I know why.
It's because I've more or less seen it all now.

I rememer when I first played Goldeneye, it was all fresh and exciting.
Sure, I'd played FPS before but they were crap and lifeless in comparison.
The 4 player splitscreen multiplayer, the intense single player missions which changed drastically with each difficulty setting.

But that wasn't it.
Because I'd never played a game like this before everything was new and unexplored. Everything was interesting and intruiging.
Shooting glass and watching it shatter. Shooting a guards had off, sniping unsuspecting guards from a distance, playing with glitches, exploring all possibilities with cheats (sending guards flying with explosives was HILARIOUS) and messing around with the AI.

Perfect Dark came along and nearly bettered it in nearly every way.
There were almost infinately more possibilities, only... other than the parts that were completely new from Goldeneye (like the Carrington Institute target range), I'd seen or done it all before.
And besides, when it came to FPS, I was an expert gamer now. Now I played to win, to beat it, more than I played for fun.

Sure, it had moments where I would mess around, but very few compared to Goldeneye. I'd become too experienced to enjoyed the simple pleasures in the game.

Take Pokémon Red.
The first RPG I ever played through.
This game also had it all.

Sure, the fighting system was fairly simplistic to the likes of Final Fantasy, but with so many monsters with so many different strengths and weaknesses, this sort of made it work better.
I must've spent over 500+ hours on that game (the in game clock stopped working after 256 hours and I think I passed that atleast twice - two play throughs).

Even after I finished the story, I then went about tracking down the rare Pokémon (like Zapdos and Mewtwo) and catching every single last Pokémon in the game (unlike that amature Ash, I DID catch them all! - although due to the nature of the game, I DID have to trade for some of them...).
And while I mastered the entire game, gradually learning about all the different types of Pokémon, their strengths and weaknesses, what moves they learn, where you can find them, I also spent countless hours training my super-teams to level 100.

Yeah it sounds sad now, but at the time I was totally hooked.

Sure, I got Pokémon Gold before it even reached our shores (regional lock-outs on the Gameboy! :-) ) and it was better in almost every way (starting with the fact that it was in beautiful full colour rather than everything in shades of red! :-D) but when I'd finished the story, I still spent countless hours finding the last Pokémon and training more "super teams" but the new one never made it to Level 100, and although I caught all 251, most of them were traded from my old Red game, and throughout the whole game, rather than simply enjoying the adventure, I'd, in many places, been playing to beat it, scouring for secrets and basically playing like the pro-gamer I'd become.

Such has been the nature of all games I've played before.
With Mario 64 I spent hours playing with Mario's 3D jumping tricks. With Mario Sunshine, I did that a fair bit at first (that Delphino City place is great fun for jumping on roofs) but the novelty wore out faster.
With Zelda 64 I scoured the landscape for every last heart piece and Skultula.
With Majora's Mask I didn't bother with the last heart pieces and Windwaker I stopped playing once I beat the story (I did briefly start again for a re-run with the special "hero of time" mode but got bored quickly).
The original Smash Brother's was played to death as I mastered every last character and got a high score for all of them (getting over a million points of each of the 14 - and NGC gave a raving mention + prize to an amature who only managed it with 13! :-P).
Smash Brother's Melée had more moves and modes of play and infinite possibilities and has probably clocked up the most gameplay out of all my Gamecube games but was barely played compared to the exstensive play it's predecessor got.
Heck, Timesplitters 2 had it all, but bar the few new twists (mostly involving that genius flaming system) I'd played it all before.

The game I've enjoyed the most recently, were ones that I'd not played anything like - Metroid Prime, Commandos and Pikmin namely.
Even then, they would've impressed me a lot more in the day.

I'm too experienced.
After all I used to say on here about never growing up, that's what happened. I never quite left Cloud Cuckoo Land... Cloud Cuckoo Land just gradually turned into a whole new place...

Time for something fresh, something new, something I've not done to death.
And yeah... I resultantly got a life... shame on me! :-S

It's not that I've given up games, or that I don't still enjoy them.
I do. I still play them a little more than I should...
But there WAS a time when a new game would be the important thing in my life, would capture my mind in a way that I could not think of anything else (VERY dangerous during exam time! :-S).

now they're just games.

So how experienced are you?
Tue 02/03/04 at 04:41
Regular
It's alright for me for now i like chilling out for the moment but after i turn 19 next Saturday i can see everything getting a bit busier for me.
Tue 02/03/04 at 04:38
Regular
"Bicycle"
Strafio wrote:
> **knows he'll come back to find this topic as he left it - this being
> the last reply EVER!!** :-D

Just to prove you wrong ;). Also, because after awakening, I can't sleep. Until like 5:30 and a good dose of Skiing on 4. Then sleep till 1, post here some more, tweak my site, eat, play JSR for a while, then GTA, the Dark Chronicle, then Champ Man. Sleep for a few hours. Wake. Post here for a few hours, repeat.

Unless my Mum decids to wake me up to go to school, but I'm ill so nyah.
Tue 02/03/04 at 04:34
Regular
"Bicycle"
Silent-Scope wrote:
> Messy wrote:
> Thanks.
>
> Yea Just amazing at this time... have a bit of insomnia tonight but
> it'll be gone soon.

Same. I hate insomnia. I'm 14, I smoke and I have insomnia.
Tue 02/03/04 at 04:33
Regular
Hehe.

I've just finished a night shift where I probably drank too much free coca cola! :-D

I'm getting tired now though.

12 replies isn't bad in one hour.
And that's jsut from the three of us.
D'ya think we'll have more tomorrow?

**knows he'll come back to find this topic as he left it - this being the last reply EVER!!** :-D
Tue 02/03/04 at 04:26
Regular
Strafio on ultra strong caffiene?
Tue 02/03/04 at 04:26
Regular
Messy wrote:

> Violet meaning? o.O

Cheeky! :-P

> But isn't the point of games to be enjoyment? Surely the more
> original a game, the more enjoyment, therefor the better a game?

Well yeah, but if it was THAT easy to make a game completely original, EVERYONE would be doing it! ;-)

> I wouldn't call myself experienced. I've hardly played any bad games.
> I would certainly not call myself experienced. I never experienced
> Galaxian at the arcade, only on my uncle's PC. Nor did I ever play
> Final Fantasy on the NES, or SNES for that matter. I've been lucky, I
> guess, because I've read forums and have had a pretty shielded
> experience of games. That's the problem. I've played the good, but
> not the bad, which is a pity really because I guess I can never
> really give a game it's due.

If you're looking for originality in games then you're experienced.
Sure, you might not have played the exact game, but if you've played one like it then you'll feel like you've played it before.

If you think retro gaming will give you a new experience in gaming (an I bet atleast SOME Snes games will VERY pleasantly surprise you - 2D gaming has this untouched purity that just isn't seen in modern games) then I'd give emulation a good go.

I wouldn't worry too much about Nes games as they'll mostly be pre-versions of the more polished Snes (and Megadrive) games.
But even though you won't have played the exact titles, for a lot of games you'll play for a few minutes and then think "I've played a hundred games like this! Boring!" and then move on.

And that's the way that you're experienced.

Get me yet? :-)

> How true. Write more than "lololololol" and you're screwed
> ;).

Hehe! :-D
Tue 02/03/04 at 04:19
Regular
Messy wrote:
> Strafio wrote:
> Evolution in games is good... just not as mind blowing as complete
> originality.
>
> True. But a game can only evolve so much, until it becomes boring.
> MGS2, anyone?

That evolved the wrong way.
Went too cinematic and went overboard on cutscenes.
Also didn't have enough gameplay spice ups to cover up the fact that it was last year's game with a new lick of paint.

> Even then? Of course not. By evolving more, you don't get more
> original. The game gets original ideas added, but original games have
> been made. Very few ideas left. Even a game where you have to kill
> the biggest wanted terrorists, based on the cards the US brought out,
> is being released. Originality is in demand, but not in suply. And
> they need to go back to basics to get more original.

Some of the most amazing original idea's have come through evolution.
Sure, some of the quirkier games like PIkmin and Jet Set came from scratch, but others like Goldeneye (which was FPS evolution, re-defining the genre) and Pokémon (not the first RPG but did it like it had never been done before) and plenty of others, just evolved a standard genre to a new level.

> Yes. I remember playing GTA 2: London on my PC for a long time, and
> frankly I loved the whole stealing cars thing. It was proper bo. But
> then GTA:VC got a whole more violent. Chainsaws? For stealing cars?
> Really?

That way it doesn't limit the game to JUST stealing cars.
You are free to kill people in a variety of ways which is sort of fun in the world of pretend! :-)

And that's the thing, it just gave you options.
You never HAD to do ANYTHING. :-)

> The best game??? Surely not. Final Fantasy have been alright but
> er... I *think* (FFX-2?) they're finally running out of ideas.

Well each to their own.
As it is, I'd give it to Metroid Prime now, even if it would've been even 100 times better if it had let you do some Mario style platforming in the third person perspective! :-P

> Pester a DC owning friend. Play the original first, trust me.

I don't know any DC owners! :'-(
Tue 02/03/04 at 04:16
Regular
Messy wrote:
> Thanks.

Yea Just amazing at this time... have a bit of insomnia tonight but it'll be gone soon.
Tue 02/03/04 at 04:16
Regular
"Bicycle"
Strafio wrote:
> Reading your post again (I must've misread it the first time), I think
> the fact GTA sold was a mixture of originality and the violence
> factor.
> Sure, the violence factor was the big pull for kids, but there are
> thousands of violet games on the market and NONE pulled the masses
> like GTA did.

Violet meaning? o.O

> Obviously originality isn't the only ingredient to a good game, but
> as you wear down the typical game types, originality becomes more and
> more vital for your enjoyment...

But isn't the point of games to be enjoyment? Surely the more original a game, the more enjoyment, therefor the better a game?

> Now you're experienced, you can only look back in nostalgia at the
> days when it was all fresh and exciting.
> The multiplayer on the N64 was some of the best social experiences
> I've ever had.

I wouldn't call myself experienced. I've hardly played any bad games. I would certainly not call myself experienced. I never experienced Galaxian at the arcade, only on my uncle's PC. Nor did I ever play Final Fantasy on the NES, or SNES for that matter. I've been lucky, I guess, because I've read forums and have had a pretty shielded experience of games. That's the problem. I've played the good, but not the bad, which is a pity really because I guess I can never really give a game it's due.

> And thanks for managing to get through my entire topic.
>
> Most people just don't manage that nowdays! :-)

How true. Write more than "lololololol" and you're screwed ;).
Tue 02/03/04 at 04:12
Regular
"Bicycle"
Strafio wrote:
> Evolution in games is good... just not as mind blowing as complete
> originality.

True. But a game can only evolve so much, until it becomes boring. MGS2, anyone?

> Even then, there will NEVER be complete originality.
> Even games with original concepts share elements from other games, so
> as you get more experienced, even with a mainly original game, the
> core to it will be too familiar... if you know what I'm saying...
>

Even then? Of course not. By evolving more, you don't get more original. The game gets original ideas added, but original games have been made. Very few ideas left. Even a game where you have to kill the biggest wanted terrorists, based on the cards the US brought out, is being released. Originality is in demand, but not in suply. And they need to go back to basics to get more original.

> In defence of GTA by the way, the original, and GTA 3 were both VERY
> original.
> The put together a living breathing city where you could free-roam as
> you please and just do the hell you want. That in itself was
> fantastic.
> GTA started it, was expanded upon in sequels.
> GTA3 blasted it into full 3D giving the gameplay a whole new
> dimension.

Yes. I remember playing GTA 2: London on my PC for a long time, and frankly I loved the whole stealing cars thing. It was proper bo. But then GTA:VC got a whole more violent. Chainsaws? For stealing cars? Really?

> If it weren't for the crap controls, I'd probably say that it's the
> best game of the Xbox/PS2/Gamecube generation.

The best game??? Surely not. Final Fantasy have been alright but er... I *think* (FFX-2?) they're finally running out of ideas.

> PS. You just reminded me, I've not played a "Jet Set Radio"
> game yet...
> Something to pester my Xbox owning friend about! ;-)

Pester a DC owning friend. Play the original first, trust me.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.