GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Will Sega ever return?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 03/03/04 at 15:13
Regular
"Milky Milky"
Do you think Sega will ever make another games console? I'd like to think that they have a little group of brains bevering away at another console to totally suprise the world with :)
Wed 10/03/04 at 01:35
"I love yo... lamp."
I wouldn't rule it out completely as they said they would if they ever felt it was a good idea, but it seems highly unlikely.

The Dreamcast was the straw that broke the camels back. But the damage was done long before that. First of all Sega had two flops in the Mega CD and the 32X. Both of them were pre Saturn. And then there was the Saturn. A console with some classic games, but sadly underpowered and in the face of competition from sony, just uncool.

So they lost a lot of money by then. The arcade business took a bit of a downturn as well, losing them even more money. Then they pored lots of resources into the Dreamcast. But nobody bought it.

It was the best console ever in my opinion, as a post in the classic games forum testifies (and proves I think). But with big investment and little return, they were close to bankruptcy and the only seemingly plausible way out was to stop the hardware side. They had some great games, and they knew that they would sell stacks on other systems, which they did.

They make money once again. They still make some excellent games. But it still doesn't feel the same.

There have been almost constant rumours that Microsoft were going to buy them. I would like to think that is true as I think an exclusive Sega would be better. But it is not going to happen now, seeing as Sammy have an ever increasing stake in Sega.

At least they are still around. They are on my list of things to buy when I'm extremely rich.
Thu 04/03/04 at 13:16
Regular
I think that they are happy with the situation they are in now; making third party support.
The sonic games sell well, so does phantasy star online and i think that super monkey ball sold quite an amount of copies.
And I do also not believe that they have the resources to create a new console.
Wed 03/03/04 at 15:20
Regular
"Milky Milky"
Is it really that bad at Sega? The Dreamcast really screwed them up then?
Wed 03/03/04 at 15:18
Regular
"Bicycle"
No.

They promised us they wouldn't. They just don't have the money anymore. I don't think.
Wed 03/03/04 at 15:13
Regular
"Milky Milky"
Do you think Sega will ever make another games console? I'd like to think that they have a little group of brains bevering away at another console to totally suprise the world with :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.