GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"On going Problem?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 06/08/01 at 18:33
Regular
There have been many piracy discusions on here since I joined. I even won for a post about it. So why do It again? I feel I have a little more to talk about than last time.

Piracy is a huge problem for all the major software companies, more and more seem to be lured into buying copies of games from £5 to £15 which is alot cheaper that the real thing. So why do they do it. Simple why pay £35 for something when you can get the same game without the box, manual and official disk for an extra £20. People don't care about the companies it effects as the big companies don't seem to care about them. What have they ever done for us?
What they have done is made a game for you to play.

There many out there who disagree with piracy and think its wrong, but how many of you would think twice before copying a CD for a friend or downloading an MP3. In principal these are just as bad as games piracy.

These days it costs around £3 million to make an average game, better ones cost more. Alot of sales are lost due to piracy but developers still get quite alot of money, if they didn't then they wouldn't continue to make game after game. I think one of the main problems is lack of awareness. Very little is done to let people know just how wrong it is, a quick flash of a warning screen at the start of a game isn't good enough. People need to be warned more of the dangers of piracy and what could happen to them if they are caught selling or buying them.

But with every arguement there is another side to it.
Recently I read that developers want to ban companies from making mod chips, I disagree with this for two reasons.

1. The MOD chip for the PS2 allows you to play mulit-region DVD's something which we should be allowed to do if we wish. You can chip a DVD player to do this legaly so why not a PS2? Also if you buy it surely it is your to do what you want with it, you can upgrade your PC or fiddle with your TV so why can't you open your PS2 and add a MOD chip?

2. Backup disks (Now don't get this confused with pirate copies of games). Legaly you can backup a game if you own the original. But alot of developers are protecting their disks to help combat piracy. Ok so they have to help stop piracy but I don't like this method. Think about this. If you buy a game like GT3 wouldn't you rather copy it and use the backup copy so that if the game accidently gets scratched or damaged then you have another copy of it and you wont have to pay more money for it.

There aren't really any ways of totally getting rid of piracy 100%. As long as someone can create ways of stopping it sooner or later someone will find a way round it. The only real way of stopping it is if society realise that its wrong and everyone stops doing it. But with the way society is that dosn't look like happening. Looks like piracy will always be a continuing problem for developers.

AliBoy
Mon 06/08/01 at 18:33
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
There have been many piracy discusions on here since I joined. I even won for a post about it. So why do It again? I feel I have a little more to talk about than last time.

Piracy is a huge problem for all the major software companies, more and more seem to be lured into buying copies of games from £5 to £15 which is alot cheaper that the real thing. So why do they do it. Simple why pay £35 for something when you can get the same game without the box, manual and official disk for an extra £20. People don't care about the companies it effects as the big companies don't seem to care about them. What have they ever done for us?
What they have done is made a game for you to play.

There many out there who disagree with piracy and think its wrong, but how many of you would think twice before copying a CD for a friend or downloading an MP3. In principal these are just as bad as games piracy.

These days it costs around £3 million to make an average game, better ones cost more. Alot of sales are lost due to piracy but developers still get quite alot of money, if they didn't then they wouldn't continue to make game after game. I think one of the main problems is lack of awareness. Very little is done to let people know just how wrong it is, a quick flash of a warning screen at the start of a game isn't good enough. People need to be warned more of the dangers of piracy and what could happen to them if they are caught selling or buying them.

But with every arguement there is another side to it.
Recently I read that developers want to ban companies from making mod chips, I disagree with this for two reasons.

1. The MOD chip for the PS2 allows you to play mulit-region DVD's something which we should be allowed to do if we wish. You can chip a DVD player to do this legaly so why not a PS2? Also if you buy it surely it is your to do what you want with it, you can upgrade your PC or fiddle with your TV so why can't you open your PS2 and add a MOD chip?

2. Backup disks (Now don't get this confused with pirate copies of games). Legaly you can backup a game if you own the original. But alot of developers are protecting their disks to help combat piracy. Ok so they have to help stop piracy but I don't like this method. Think about this. If you buy a game like GT3 wouldn't you rather copy it and use the backup copy so that if the game accidently gets scratched or damaged then you have another copy of it and you wont have to pay more money for it.

There aren't really any ways of totally getting rid of piracy 100%. As long as someone can create ways of stopping it sooner or later someone will find a way round it. The only real way of stopping it is if society realise that its wrong and everyone stops doing it. But with the way society is that dosn't look like happening. Looks like piracy will always be a continuing problem for developers.

AliBoy
Mon 06/08/01 at 18:44
Regular
"Back For Good"
Piracy isn't a rare thing and shops pretty much tell you how to do it and supply you with the right equipment. Alot of people buy pirate games for a number of reasons mostly because nearly everyone out there has chipped playstations and get games for £2 why should they pay high retail prices.

I never got my PS chipped for the main reason that it was difficult to get games where as PS games were hardly expensive anyway. DVD writers are out there but aren't as common or cheap as cd writers so some of the ps2 games are safe for now.

I've never used pirate software except for a couple of rare pc games which weren't availible to buy but i will never use pirate playstation discs because it still costs a bit to get them and i prefer the nice case and instructions.

I will however when a completly extenal chip is availible make my console play Japanese and US games for the U.K unreleased titles and nearer release dates.

Nothing wrong with that!
Mon 06/08/01 at 18:55
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Do you think piracy had anything to do with the outcome of the last 'console war'? I mean, it didn't take long for someone to copy a load of PSX games and even though the 'real' reason, according to Sony, was the whole 3D games thing people could have latched onto the idea that they'd be able to get top games for no more than £5.

I don't really see how piracy can be acceptable, people who make games and publish games are in 'the game' to make money not to act as an anti-boredom chairty.

Rareware - Registered Charity #2239734? - I don't think so!

It isn't fair... Okay so you can go to your local corner shop and barter with the asian onwer until you get the trade price for your sliced bread, but getting cheaper 'stuff' the right way isn't as bad as stealing... Which is effectively what piracy is.

I don't think i'll ever buy a pirate game... it's just as bad as stealing a game and I won't do that. I would much rather have proper copies of 6 good games that I would 'dodgy' copies of 20 games.

Game
Mon 06/08/01 at 19:11
Regular
Nintendo have done something about it, on the Gamecube the disks are smaller so they cannot be copied. Maybee other console developers should take this idea up. It doesn't even affect the ammount of data that can be stored on the disk. Nintendo have also produced cartridges on other consoles that they have made before which can't be copied.
Mon 06/08/01 at 19:24
Regular
""
But if you think about it some time the people that do piracy will figure out someway of accomplishing the task of copying GC games! They should have stuck with carts!
Mon 06/08/01 at 19:27
Regular
If Nintendo had stuck with carts then that would have been the end of Nintendo as a games company, they made the mistake with the N64 of sticking with carts, but if they had kept them for the gamecube it would be a complete flop.
Cartridges are old and dated theres no way they could have stuck with them.
Mon 06/08/01 at 19:35
Regular
""
But if you think about there is 2 sides.
Bad: Expensive.
Good: Don't get scratched, no load time, hard to damage even if you do smash up the cart.
The price is the only disavantage in my eyes. I mean if the gamecube had not just a CD bit but also had a backwards compatable cart slot it would be the one and only true reinging gamesconsoles.
Mon 06/08/01 at 20:38
GC's piracy prevention method, involvig cuts in their mini DVDs, is quite clever.
Mon 06/08/01 at 20:42
Regular
And the small discs and it cant play CD's.
Mon 06/08/01 at 21:05
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
But don't you think we should have the rights to backup a game for our own personal use, just incase something happens to the original. You wouldn't want to have to pay for the game and the developers aren't going to replace it.

I think the developers do to much with the hardware to prevent piracy when they would be better trying to get the message across to the public. Let people who do it that they will be punished more for their crimes.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.