GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes First Impressions...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Metal Gear Solid : Twin Snakes'.
Fri 12/03/04 at 17:43
Regular
"Rasmus R The Best!"
Well after a bit of hassle with my delivery, Metal Gear Solid The Twin Snakes is in my hands! I bought the JAP version, purely because i couldn't wait any longer and that it has swicthable language so everything is in English! (why all import games can't do this is beyond me). Read on to see if it's what your expecting.

Now first things first, I HAVE NEVER PLAYED the original version of this game, if you have (to death) then i would consider not buying this purely because reviews have stated it's identical! This mini-review is based on never playing the original and so is the score...

Graphics,
Well what can i say? Metal Gear Solid 2 on the Ps2 comes into mind! The graphics are near identical to that, however there is a tad more sharpness. Snake looks better and so does the whole game when you go into First-Person mode, but you must hold down the Z button to keep Snake in this. The first major level is snowy, the snow effects are brilliant, but again come into there own when you go into first person, the snow melts on the TV screen and turns into droplets of water (an effect much like Wave Race Blue Storm). The Cut-Scenes are great, the graphics are very sharp and face animation is right up there..I don't know if any levels go outside but if you do then i'm looking forward to seeing how the graphics look. 8/10

Controls,
Well at the moment they are taking a bit of time to get used to! To go up against a wall is quite difficult, you must press up on the control stick and hold it there, otherwise Snake comes away from the wall, i've died many times trying to hide from Soldiers, also you must press the L and R triggers to look around the appropriate corner, if you want to look around a left corner you press L for example. It would of been better if you press one button once and Snake stays there! Much Like EON. Crouching is OK, you press the X button and then move the control stick for Snake to go down! I haven't actually found a pause button yet! What you must do is Press Start and A together to it goes into the Codec screen, other then that, it's not a simple Press Start to stop playing... 8/10

Sound,
Now this is very good! The speech is extremely cinematic and quite polished, there's no fuzzyness or interruptions, you can hear every word cleanly, quite crisp. Snake makes different sounds on whatever flooring he is on, quite aloud banging on metal floor and a nice crispy sound on the snow! Extremley polished and great for Dolby Logic II uses. 10/10

Enemy AL and Difficulty,
OK, Enemy AL is SUPERB and the game is in my opinion VERY DIFFICULT. Guards seem to take no prisoners now, make any noise and there coming towards you, make an alarm go off and about 4 guards will be there which in conclusion makes a very quick death. It seems to be less forgiving then MGS2 on the PS2. Cameras spot you if your slightly out with timing, and overall the number of guards in one area has been greatly increased. It might be that i'm rubbish at the game but i believe it's pretty difficult, it really does make you think much harder this time round and the stealth has to be used more effectively to stay alive for at least 10 minutes. 10/10

Well that's all i can say at the mo, i'm literally playing this game very slowly and not far into the game at all. My score at the moment would be 89%-90% but i'm sure it could make 92% when i get to see some cool secrets and extras etc i will update the score soon when i'm alot further in, as my opinion could change and the game could take a turn for the worst! At the Moment though, i'm extremeley grateful Snake has came to the Gamecube and i'm sure this will help Gamecube Sales...

METAL GEAR SOLID cube-europes comp, The competition is now closed but what name did you come up for a new Metal Gear Game?
Mon 15/03/04 at 16:56
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
They haven't totally lifted the style of MGS2 either, the codec scenes are not in full 3D a la MGS2, they are the same 2D sketches from the original. This may have been a disc space issue, as it is already split over 2 discs.
Mon 15/03/04 at 16:50
Regular
Never played an MGS game... so I can't wait for this.
Mon 15/03/04 at 14:30
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Yeah, Al's a b!tch. Actually I disagree with what the reviewer said - they are super sharp at catching you up close, but I killed one of the 2 guards in the Tank Hangar with the SOCOM, and the other one never responded to the gun shot. And I checked, he's not wearing a walkman ;-)
Mon 15/03/04 at 14:00
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Enemy AL.

Arrhar.
Mon 15/03/04 at 11:50
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
I both love it and feel disappointed at the same time. The GC controller is not suited to the MGS2 game mechanics.. holding guards hostage without shooting them in the back is tricky without the pressure sensitive buttons. Also the analogue stick is not as smooth, harder to judge walk/run.

Still gutted about the music changing, and some major disappointments in the voice acting:

Naomi isn't english.

Mei-ling isn't chinese

"Shut up in there will ya?!" is not the same.

I actually think even Col. Campbell is a different actor.

But David Hayter as Solid Snake still rocks!!

To make up for this, the new cut-scenes are breathtaking, especially Psycho Mantis introduction.
Sun 14/03/04 at 20:26
Regular
:-)
Sun 14/03/04 at 20:25
Regular
"Rasmus R The Best!"
Talking to 'Maverick' by the way lol ;)
Sun 14/03/04 at 20:24
Regular
"Rasmus R The Best!"
HAHAHAHA god you have a great sense of humour! :)
Sun 14/03/04 at 20:23
Regular
"gsybe you!"
sPiKeCaSt wrote:
> Arghh too many games, got UT 2004 on order + Athena Sword coming this
> week, then i've got Far Cry and Splinter cell 2 on the 26th, and this
> seems too good to miss for £28!

Oh jesus!

Far Cry, Splinter Cell: PT, Harvest Moon + Twin Snakes on the 26th!
Sun 14/03/04 at 16:12
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Sssh :P

But Amazon do rule.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.