GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Google calling time on Internet Explorer 6!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 30/01/10 at 11:03
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
It has been announced that Google is to phase out support for IE6 on some of its web site services, such as Google Docs and Google Sites, beginning in March of this year.

I think this is great news, with such a high profile company giving IE 6 the boot, and Microsoft under way on Internet Explorer 9, that hopefully IE 6 will see its remaining users upgrade or download a different browser, and Hmmm... can finally make use of my article CSS Rounded Corners - a feature you may not be familiar with!!! :)
Thu 18/02/10 at 17:38
"Are you sure?"
Tony wrote:
> Well I'm sure, in this case, that it's not malicious. But you
> can appreciate our concerns about search engine results and
> landing pages and incorrect impressions which a list of status
> messages in isolation might give.

It does show the power of Google and especially it's new 'real time' results that really 'like' Twitter!

Sometimes you have to embrace these new changes so that you 'own' the search results. If you don't then the search results will still be there but not under your control.

As for the 'Free Speech on the web' debate that's one for General Chat ;¬)

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 18/02/10 at 17:01
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
Hmmm... wrote:

> That's good, otherwise we might as well be living in China where
> free speech on the 'web' isn't encouraged ! ;¬)

Free speech - I challenge you to show that any such thing exists!

Armies of corporate intellectual property rights lawyers and litigation teams exist to prevent this, and we live in an era of political correctness and censorship of all kinds, which extends to all aspects of day to day life.

That's not a complaint, just a fact of life in the 21st century.
Thu 18/02/10 at 16:49
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
Hmmm... wrote:

> I've found the FreeolaStatus one you are referring to - looks
> like they've just closed it down! But it didn't look at all
> malicious to me...

Well I'm sure, in this case, that it's not malicious. But you can appreciate our concerns about search engine results and landing pages and incorrect impressions which a list of status messages in isolation might give.
Thu 18/02/10 at 15:17
"Are you sure?"
Tony wrote:
> Absolutely. We don't have any problem in general with people
> discussing Freeola on Twitter.

That's good, otherwise we might as well be living in China where free speech on the 'web' isn't encouraged ! ;¬)

Tony wrote:
> a Twitter account which exists purely to copy our status
> message alerts from our site, and of course that appears
> negative in isolation, and might even be malicious.

Sounds like a good idea to me! I follow a number of Twitter accounts providing similar services for various providers.
Searching around I can see this is a popular thing to do - some maintained by the companies some by their users.

I've found the FreeolaStatus one you are referring to - looks like they've just closed it down! But it didn't look at all malicious to me...

[s]Hmmm...[/s] @twitter
Thu 18/02/10 at 14:04
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
Getting back to the subject of this thread.

I think all the old browsers should be supported so that our old computers will work for longer. Long live Netscape 4.7. I still use Mozilla for my email client (it can't be beaten) and, remarkably, I still find that the Navigator browser which is part of the Mozilla suite is compatible with most sites (though I generally use Safari and Firefox).

As for IE6, 7, 8 or whatever - I use a Mac. The only site which is completely incompatible with everything but Internet Explorer is Microsoft Ad Centre, but I do have a bank dongle and a program or two which require a PC. Having been "through the hoop" a few times with Parallels running a PC on the Mac, I have now invested in a posh Sony Netbook which I now use for 3 minutes a week.
Thu 18/02/10 at 13:51
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
Hmmm... wrote:

> Re. Twitter, my address is below and I do mention Freeola quite a
> lot! Hope that's ok?

Absolutely. We don't have any problem in general with people discussing Freeola on Twitter. In this particular case there is a Twitter account which exists purely to copy our status message alerts from our site, and of course that appears negative in isolation, and might even be malicious.
Thu 18/02/10 at 13:43
"Are you sure?"
Tony wrote:
> A couple of issues have been found with the hottest page failing
> to register the hits on some websites. We are working on this to
> fix it. Once fixed it might take a few weeks for the correct
> results to filter through.

Thanks for that.

I did think something looked a bit strange when I was poking about some of the current 'Hottest Sites'.

Just hope my site's current popularity lasts!
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 18/02/10 at 13:33
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
Tony wrote:

> I'll check out the situation with the hottest page.

A couple of issues have been found with the hottest page failing to register the hits on some websites. We are working on this to fix it. Once fixed it might take a few weeks for the correct results to filter through.

Thanks for reporting the problem.
Wed 17/02/10 at 18:19
"Are you sure?"
Tony wrote:
> Please bear in mind, if you are building up strong traffic to a
> site, that Freeola500 addresses (ip3.co.uk) are not guaranteed
> continuity.

Thanks for that - I had thought about it when a domain Digi was using became unavailable.

I'm assuming if Freeola ever sell 'ip3.co.uk' you will give your customers plenty of warning?

I have many 'paid for' Freeola domains so it won't be an issue to register another. But I quite like showing people what can be done when you become a Freeola ADSL customer and how your 'addons' can work well.

Tony wrote:
> I'll check out the situation with the hottest page.

Thanks for that :¬)

Re. Twitter, my address is below and I do mention Freeola quite a lot! Hope that's ok?

[s]Hmmm...[/s] @twitter
Wed 17/02/10 at 17:56
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
Hmmm... do you have a Twitter account up for our status messages?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.