GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"UGH ! Add choice of harsh words here..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 15/03/04 at 02:49
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Poxy console ! While playing my XBox lately, I've noticed a rapid downhill spiral in its reliability. At first, it started crashing a couple of times and I got the dirty disc message for games that didn't have a mark or scratch on them.

Then a few weeks ago, I decded to go online with Mech Assault and have a few games. It crashed and gave me the dirty disc message like 4 or 5 times. Then I bought Morrowind GOTY and every now and again, it would crash and need to be reset. Then over the past week, besides crashing, it would pause a lot as I moved around, constantly giving the threat of crashing. I also started to find circular scratches on the Morrowind disc which the console must be doing because it was perfectly fine when I bought it.

Now today, because Morrowind is having so many problems, I thought I'd try Whiplash seeing as I'd been waiting so long to get it since I saw the early news on it. I was enjoying it and just to be on the safe side, took every opportunity to save the game. As usual after a short time of playing, the game crashed followed by the dirty disc message, but just to add to it, I put the game back on and find out that my game save is damaged, so I have to start again. Then the same happened again.

So now, when I really could do without it, I'm gonna have to fork out for a new XBox cause by the looks of it, I've found out that apparently the early systems have crap DVD drives. Wonderful. And if I want to salvage any game saves, I'm also gonna need a new memory card. I have one, but that went crappy awhile back - damaging any saves I put on it (and it was an official one - not the third party crap).
Seeing as it comes out on Friday, I guess I might as well get the Crystal one, so at least I know I have the latest stuff inside it rather than the old DVD drive and whatever other second hand stuff they pulled out of a skip to put in it.

Now, the coming loss of cash aside, I could have ended up a lot more volatile, angry and well, just plain violent, but after the experience of owning the early PS1 console, that has helped to make me numb to that kinda stage. I can't even throw tantrums and elbow drops at the poxy thing cause I need to attempt to salvage at least a few game saves onto the next console before the postal style violence can begin...
Poxy disc consoles.
Mon 15/03/04 at 20:48
Regular
"Football is #1"
Savatt78 wrote:
> Poxy console ! While playing my XBox lately, I've noticed a rapid
> downhill spiral in its reliability. At first, it started crashing a
> couple of times and I got the dirty disc message for games that
> didn't have a mark or scratch on them.
>
> Then a few weeks ago, I decded to go online with Mech Assault and
> have a few games. It crashed and gave me the dirty disc message like
> 4 or 5 times. Then I bought Morrowind GOTY and every now and again,
> it would crash and need to be reset. Then over the past week,
> besides crashing, it would pause a lot as I moved around, constantly
> giving the threat of crashing. I also started to find circular
> scratches on the Morrowind disc which the console must be doing
> because it was perfectly fine when I bought it.
>
> Now today, because Morrowind is having so many problems, I thought
> I'd try Whiplash seeing as I'd been waiting so long to get it since I
> saw the early news on it. I was enjoying it and just to be on the
> safe side, took every opportunity to save the game. As usual after a
> short time of playing, the game crashed followed by the dirty disc
> message, but just to add to it, I put the game back on and find out
> that my game save is damaged, so I have to start again. Then the
> same happened again.
>
> So now, when I really could do without it, I'm gonna have to fork out
> for a new XBox cause by the looks of it, I've found out that
> apparently the early systems have crap DVD drives. Wonderful. And
> if I want to salvage any game saves, I'm also gonna need a new memory
> card. I have one, but that went crappy awhile back - damaging any
> saves I put on it (and it was an official one - not the third party
> crap).
> Seeing as it comes out on Friday, I guess I might as well get the
> Crystal one, so at least I know I have the latest stuff inside it
> rather than the old DVD drive and whatever other second hand stuff
> they pulled out of a skip to put in it.
>
> Now, the coming loss of cash aside, I could have ended up a lot more
> volatile, angry and well, just plain violent, but after the
> experience of owning the early PS1 console, that has helped to make
> me numb to that kinda stage. I can't even throw tantrums and elbow
> drops at the poxy thing cause I need to attempt to salvage at least a
> few game saves onto the next console before the postal style violence
> can begin...
> Poxy disc consoles.

Your point is?
Mon 15/03/04 at 20:41
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
tributé wrote:
> My PS2 played DVD's with a tint of green.

My PS2 used to do that too, I said to the guy in GAME about it and he just said it there wasn't anything I could do about it as it was part of the design apparently. Which struck me as really stupid, but since I had a DVD player anyway, I didn't bother trying to fix it. But then I got a new TV and all of a sudden the PS2 stopped playing DVD's with the green tint.

Anyway, apart from that I've never had any real problems with any of my consoles; PS2 has crashed once since I got it in 2002, my X-Box has crashed about 4 times but I think that's mainly due to a problem with True Crime itself, and my GC has never had a single problem, but that's mainly due to the fact that I hardly use it.
Mon 15/03/04 at 20:00
Regular
Every Rainbow Six game I loaded through LIVE used to throw me back to the menu wuth a dis read error towards the end, thankfully someone bought it before it went completely.
Mon 15/03/04 at 19:58
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Yeah I posted about this on the official forum too. I've had probelsmwith all the disc consoles I've owned, well, except the Neo Geo CD. PS1 was the worst by far - think that black surface on the games really didn't help things.

Thing is with the XBox problems, its come at a time when I could really do without it.
Mon 15/03/04 at 19:48
Regular
tributé wrote:
> My PS2 played DVD's with a tint of green,

Same with mine when I had it, it's because you aren't running an RGB cable with one of the options within the PS2 interface switched on.
Mon 15/03/04 at 16:18
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Out of all the consoles I've owned, I've had the most problems with my
> Xbox.

My Xbox is near to a world of pain.
Mon 15/03/04 at 16:04
Regular
The only problems I've ever had are with EA Games.

Need for Speed Underground crashed once, and after the disc drive refused to open with Everything or Nothing in there, the console told me I needed contact customer services (not that I did, I blame the fact that it was a EA Game)

Meh, haven't had a problem since (expect Rainbow Six 3 sometimes goes black and goes to the opening screen for no aparant reason) and sometimes when things move a little fast on DVD's, the picture goes a bit jerky for a second or two, but it hardly ruins the enjoyment.
Mon 15/03/04 at 12:07
Regular
"Selected"
all 3 of mine or fine apart from the strange scraping sound the ps2 makes sometimes
Mon 15/03/04 at 11:59
Regular
"tokyo police club"
My PS2 played DVD's with a tint of green, My XBOX has crashed about 4 times in 4 months, and my GC has only ever had, like, one crash in nearly 2 years
Mon 15/03/04 at 11:45
Regular
Out of all the consoles I've owned, I've had the most problems with my Xbox.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.