GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"UGH ! Add choice of harsh words here..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 15/03/04 at 02:49
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Poxy console ! While playing my XBox lately, I've noticed a rapid downhill spiral in its reliability. At first, it started crashing a couple of times and I got the dirty disc message for games that didn't have a mark or scratch on them.

Then a few weeks ago, I decded to go online with Mech Assault and have a few games. It crashed and gave me the dirty disc message like 4 or 5 times. Then I bought Morrowind GOTY and every now and again, it would crash and need to be reset. Then over the past week, besides crashing, it would pause a lot as I moved around, constantly giving the threat of crashing. I also started to find circular scratches on the Morrowind disc which the console must be doing because it was perfectly fine when I bought it.

Now today, because Morrowind is having so many problems, I thought I'd try Whiplash seeing as I'd been waiting so long to get it since I saw the early news on it. I was enjoying it and just to be on the safe side, took every opportunity to save the game. As usual after a short time of playing, the game crashed followed by the dirty disc message, but just to add to it, I put the game back on and find out that my game save is damaged, so I have to start again. Then the same happened again.

So now, when I really could do without it, I'm gonna have to fork out for a new XBox cause by the looks of it, I've found out that apparently the early systems have crap DVD drives. Wonderful. And if I want to salvage any game saves, I'm also gonna need a new memory card. I have one, but that went crappy awhile back - damaging any saves I put on it (and it was an official one - not the third party crap).
Seeing as it comes out on Friday, I guess I might as well get the Crystal one, so at least I know I have the latest stuff inside it rather than the old DVD drive and whatever other second hand stuff they pulled out of a skip to put in it.

Now, the coming loss of cash aside, I could have ended up a lot more volatile, angry and well, just plain violent, but after the experience of owning the early PS1 console, that has helped to make me numb to that kinda stage. I can't even throw tantrums and elbow drops at the poxy thing cause I need to attempt to salvage at least a few game saves onto the next console before the postal style violence can begin...
Poxy disc consoles.
Thu 18/03/04 at 17:18
Regular
Indeed, those ideas would make a good sequel.

I feel the multiplayer mode needs to be better implemented too - with only two players and a few bots available, you'll often spend 90% of the time looking for someone to attack, rather than fighting. The arenas were stunning, but it just didn't work, due to the lack of people. I thought to myself one thing - "online". Imagine Star Wars: Galaxies with the flying engine of Rebel Strike. That would be incredible.

Some kind of scenario mode would also be good, with a variety of ships and situations to choose from. You could set up a deep space dogfight, for example, or ambushes, or stealthy missions - any number of possibilities. If you could save your favourite scenarios, it would do a great deal to improve the replay and arcade value.
Wed 17/03/04 at 20:32
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
What they need to do is stick with the vehicles and leave the stuff like platform levels to other games. As far as improvements go, the should...

Add more rebel forces into the levels. Sorry, but I don't remember ever seeing one person sent in against a huge Imperial army with 2 wingmen that do nothing to really help you in the films.

Add more variation in the vehicles. They did this pretty well in Rebel Strike - a few chances to use an AT-ST, Speederbike and very briefly, an AT-AT. They could add further to this by adding more via the next idea I'm about to mention.

The chance to play from both sides. Instead of being restricted to the rebels, it would be good to be the Imperials. This would open up more ships and other vehicles to the player such as a chance to play Hoth in an AT-AT. Not to mention the full compliment of TIE fighter variations. I think they should also make you a basic pilot rather than a character from the films. Cause when you do that, theres a pressure to get all the voices right and although the series does that ok, a few sound a bit crappy. But at the same time, when playing in battles from the films, they could use certain phrases straight from the them.
For example, think of Hoth and some of the key things said as the Snowspeeders attack the AT-ATs. Instead of having them all redone, you could take the lines straight out of the film so that your average pilot hears them over his/her comm. In this particular battle, if you're in the right place at the right time, you could even see Lukes Speeder crash. As for the other missions not in the films which don't have any lines to put in from them, who says the likes of Luke and Wedge need to be there ? Its not as though they have to fly every mission. So voices that are added in with voice actors can be for other basic pilots and the commanders giving the orders.
Wed 17/03/04 at 17:43
Regular
Mixing genres is becoming a potential minefield - if there was more time focused on the decent parts of RS, then it could've been a great game.
Tue 16/03/04 at 21:18
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
The AT-ST levels were pretty good and the brief moment in an AT-AT was cool. Let us pray that they never get the bright idea of doing on foot levels in a Rogue Squadron game again.
Tue 16/03/04 at 18:27
Regular
Yeah, Rebel Strike was a disappointment - there's no other way to describe the on foot levels than absolutely awful.

But for the Rogue Leader co-op, flying/speederbike/any-other-vehicle parts, it's worth the cash.
Tue 16/03/04 at 01:53
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Yeah I've been doing that lately Mav. I'll probably get rid of Steel Battalion soon too. Its a decent game and of course the online sequel is coming out, but with the setup in my room, I have to set up the controller and stuff when I want to use it because it really takes up a lot of room and I haven't got much space to move around as it is.

Its just too much of a pain to set up to play for a little while and even though I'm a fairly decent player of the game, when I set up the controller, I haven't got a great angle to keep my eye on the TV properly. So I've decided to just stick to the games that use the normal controllers. I have like 30 games now. I'm gonna sell or trade in MOH: Rising Sun when I get it back from my friend and I'm gonna also dump Sega GT Online. I'll probably put a couple of games as a trade in for my new XBox and at least I haven't gotta fork out for a new memory card cause a friend of mine is lending me his so I can transfer as many saves as I can on Friday.

Actually played on a Gamecube today - haven't done that in awhile. Finally got to try out Rebel Strike. Was pretty disappointed with a lot of it, but some levels were pretty good. The platform stuff is crap and I was gutted with the Hoth battle - was expecting a lot more out of that, but instead it was just a case of milking the part in the film where Luke uses the rope, saber and grenade. After that it was just a case of shooting a few stormtroopers, then the part in the X-Wing - which was probably the best bit of the level.
Was pretty fun to play the second game in co-op, but the Razor level was pretty hard and frustrating - I guess me and my friend really need to find the powerup weapons again, but it took ages to take out the shield generators, while our frigate seemed about as weak as an A-Wing.
In the end we got through the level when we just turned it into a race to blow up the stardestroyer before the TIEs got the frigate. We basically used the tactic of unloading all our torpedoes, then crashing into it in a hail of glory and then coming back at it with more torpedoes - cheap, but it worked. Even salvaged a bronze medal out of it. ;-))

Played a little of my Dremacast games tonight and soon remembered why I threw the damn thing up in the loft in the first place. Roll on Friday.
Tue 16/03/04 at 01:48
"I love yo... lamp."
I have a Samsung drive in my Xbox. Number of problems I've had with it: 0.
Actually I did have a crash once, but that was a glitch in the game.

As for the marks on the discs, contact MS about it. They might do something, seeing as this is what happened with early Japanese Xboxes, and I think they ended up giving away a free game to every one, as well as fixing all the Xboxes. I would also contact them about the memory card, that shouldn't happen.

In my experience Sega consoles are the most reliable. My DC has never had any problems whatsoever. Nor has my Saturn, although I have only owned it a few months. But neither have I ever had any issues with my Master System and that is older than half the people on the forums!

N64 and GC have crashed on occasion.

Cwazy Wabbit: open your Xbox drive. If the DVD ROM tray has two small holes in it you have a Samsung drive. They are the most reliable.
Tue 16/03/04 at 01:35
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
iz6 wrote:
> Your point is?

Whats the matter mate, desperately trying to get your word count up ?
Mon 15/03/04 at 22:15
Regular
Sav, don't you own hundreds of Xbox games or something?

Keep the ones you're playing and those you enjoy, and sell the completed and naff ones for extra cash.
Mon 15/03/04 at 21:22
Regular
Did you have to quote all of that?

Anyway, I guess my Xbox is my most problematic console, as my Gamecube has only crashed once or twice, although the first time was on Turok Evolution and it started making a very loud buzzing sound...

Any problems I had on the N64 could be cleared by just getting the dust off of the bottom of the catridge...

:)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.