GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The next-gen 'console war'"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 03/08/01 at 11:07
Regular
As the PS2 continues to sell consistently, whilst gaining some fantastic titles that finally live up to Sony's early boasting (Gran Turismo 3 being a prime example), and the release of the Gamecube and the X-Box draw ever nearer, it's surely time to ask some serious questions concerning the state of the videogames market. Every few years the same issues are discussed:Which consoles have the biggest chances of success? Which will fail?, but for the first time in possibly the whole history of gaming, (and in a notion supported by the likes of Digitiser), it looks as though the market will be big enough to support ALL these three formats. The facts are all positive:The video games industry is growing on an annual basis, revenue soon to be approaching the $1billion mark (unless of course that's happened already). More people are playing games, and consequently they are gaining more exposure.
Sony's PS2 already has a massive userbase, and the un-equalled 'everyman' image. They've become the image of gaming for the majority of the public, arguably the most important type of consumers, the so-called 'casual gamers'. It's a measure of how far gaming has come that, whereas previously these people considered the likes of Mario and Sonic un-cool, they are now the same people looking forward to Metal Gear Solid 2, or playing Tekken Tag.
Then there's Nintendo. They have a dedicated fanbase, who will purchase any new hardware the company release, and, assuming that this time around the Gamecube's launch is met with an extensive list of software, and sensible pricing (problems which afflicted the N64's launch in 1997), Nintendo, like Sony, should also find themselves in a healthy position within the market.
Microsoft however is the 'dark horse', the underdog with little expertise in this field, but a massive budget. However, they have the proven marketing nous, and the machine to really make a large impact on the market, something I doubt they'll fail to do. More of a threat to the PS2 than a serious alternative, the underlying point is that it's un-likely either of these consoles will lose out, which is only good news for gamers like us.
The videogames market has, in my opinion, reached a stage where more than two formats can be supported, where consequential profits will be sufficent for Sony, Nintendo AND Microsoft to continue producing hardware and creating great games, because of the far larger number of customers. It is arguable, that given a stronger financial status, Sega and their Dreamcast would also have survived it's culling, as it's sales figures were quite impressive considering it's lowly status among 'casuals'.
These are very healthy times for the industry. Let's just hope the major players can realise that, using that knowledge to their advantage.
Fri 03/08/01 at 14:49
Dan2K1 wrote:
> I COMPLETED VIRTUA TENNIS YEEEHAAAA!!!

:D

What a brilliant game. Now try to earn all he extra kits-It's so hard! My bro (who plays it way more than me), had to go through the whole world circuit for a second time after his friend erased all the original data lol. Anyway, surely Virtua Tennis is the Dreamcast's best sports game?
Fri 03/08/01 at 14:48
Regular
Dan2K1 wrote:
> I COMPLETED VIRTUA TENNIS YEEEHAAAA!!!

didn't u do a review on that or something
Fri 03/08/01 at 14:44
I COMPLETED VIRTUA TENNIS YEEEHAAAA!!!

Fri 03/08/01 at 14:41
SHEEPY wrote:
> Excellent... ha ha like you all ready :)

Take it you're a fan too? I once made an interesting analogy between Rare and Radiohead, but I seem to have forgotten it lol.
Fri 03/08/01 at 14:17
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Excellent... ha ha like you all ready :)
Fri 03/08/01 at 14:12
Yay! Woo-hoo! I was wondering if anyone would work that one out. Best group in the world they are, Radiohead!
Fri 03/08/01 at 13:59
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Are you a CREEP? Are you a weirdo? Do you wonder what the hell you are doing here?

Sorry if you like Radiohead then you'll kniw what I mean :D
Fri 03/08/01 at 13:39
Yeah, hopefully the Gamecube will shake off the Nintendo 'kiddie' tag, but do most gamers really care about the perceived image of a game? As long as a game's fun and plays well (which Nintendo games seem to be), than I'll most likely be happy, be it about some land of flowers, or a mission on an oil rig or something.
Fri 03/08/01 at 13:28
Regular
Historically, most Nintendo owners have been youngsters due
> to the style and appearance of their games.

Rightly or wrongly,
> they are still viewed that way by many, and it's a difficult tag to
> shake off.

hopefully the game cube will shake off the tag
but i know more people are buying the GBA
Fri 03/08/01 at 13:09
Sorry you regular guys, if I had known this topic is always discussed by newbies, I would have at least given my post a different title lol, but I'm glad some of you found it interesting, and saw that I wasn't making the same points. What other topics are newbies associated with? As for the X-Box, you could draw a lot of un-welcome comparisons with something like the 3DO:A company un-familiar with videogames hardware trying to cram in everything they can into their machine, without working out who'd actually want to buy the thing. It does seem kind of self-indulgent at the moment on Microsoft's part if you know what I mean.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.