GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Huzzah!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 17/03/04 at 07:33
Regular
"\\"
I finally got my new PC... True, it's still in bits. But it will be oh so much more powerful than this one.

Anyway, soon as this PC is rubbish, and i wouldn't even think of playing ANY 3D game on it, I have no idea what games are good and what are not.

So. Would anybody me so kind enough to give me a short list of games i should look for?
Fri 19/03/04 at 11:15
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Soldner = on list
Fri 19/03/04 at 10:56
Regular
"8==="
I used to play Tribes it was great fun.
Fri 19/03/04 at 10:56
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Cyclone wrote:
> Far Cry is a dead certain buy.
>
> Hmmm.....when is Soldner out?

According to the official site, "Currently scheduled release is Spring 2004." the site gives you all the nessesary info: [URL]http://soldner.jowood.com/?RubrikIdentifier=714&lang=en[/URL]

One of the things I'm looking forward to is the destructable terrain. You'll be able to hide in houses and buildings for cover, but that doesn't mean it can protect you from a tank shell or two. It should make for some interesting tactics.
Fri 19/03/04 at 10:47
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Far Cry is a dead certain buy.

Hmmm.....when is Soldner out?
Fri 19/03/04 at 10:44
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Cyclone wrote:
> cipro wrote:
> Tribes 2 had 128 player servers as will its sequel and the
> forthcoming Soldner: Secret Wars.
>
>
>
> Soldner's the one in Europe/moder/near future times yeah?
>
> 128 players.......?
>
> Yoink!

Yep, that's the game, and from what I've read 128 player servers where the only choice as the game is looking big, huge in fact. Around 50 vehicles, maps that are miles long and an interesting feature where your team has to allect a commander to lead you to victory. It's looking good, though I hope it doesn't turn into another Breed fiasco.

> Hmm, with Broadband, online play is really opening up - Xbox Live and
> many games on PC....the two Battlefield games....UTK2004...more. Does
> Far Cry have a multi element?

Yes, Far Cry does have multiplayer, and having played the BETA I can say it's bloody good as well. Nice big maps to play around with and a cool UT Assault style game mode which I found very entertaining. Wasn't many people on the BETA though, a bit of trouble since the maps available really did need lots of players in them.
Fri 19/03/04 at 10:34
Regular
"gsybe you!"
cipro wrote:
> Tribes 2 had 128 player servers as will its sequel and the
> forthcoming Soldner: Secret Wars.
>
>

Soldner's the one in Europe/moder/near future times yeah?

128 players.......?

Yoink!

Hmm, with Broadband, online play is really opening up - Xbox Live and many games on PC....the two Battlefield games....UTK2004...more. Does Far Cry have a multi element?
Fri 19/03/04 at 10:30
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Aoe wrote:
> You need to buy Half Life though, and i didn't find CS at all
> entertaining for the xbox, so how it could be lots better for the PC
> i do not know

I'm not sure that you do need Half-Life though, at least not if you download it via Valves Steam network. But if you don't like, don't bother downloading it, it's identical to the x-box version as far as I'm aware, but it's not the only free multiplayer you can download off Steam, others such as Team Fortress and Day of Defeat are some of my favourites and games I enjoy far more than CS, which I think is vastly overrated.

> 64 player eh... Cool.

Yep, I enjoy 64 player servers allot, they are the closest thing you'll get to a full-scale online war, and they aren't even the biggest. Tribes 2 had 128 player servers as will its sequel and the forthcoming Soldner: Secret Wars.

> I'll have a look.

[URL]http://farcry-thegame.com/uk/index.php?changesite=flash[/URL] The official Site for anything you need to know about the game.

> Can't say i enjoyed the first one much... has it improved much since
> the first?

Hmmm, well I'd say if you didn't get into the first game then there’s probably not much to tempt you here. It's basically the same but with better graphics, and improved bullet time feature and a shed load of baddies to kill. I enjoyed it more than the original (which I loved) but I suppose you really have to have been a big fan of Max Payne to get the most out of this one. It's painfully short too, which is a disappointment even for me.
Thu 18/03/04 at 17:49
Regular
"\\"
cipro wrote:
> Aoe wrote:
> I have KOTOR for my xbox, as well as Counter Strike + live making
> them
> quite unecesary. What's the multiplayer like on CoD?
>
> CODs multiplayer is quite good, not played it allot myself but it is
> very entertaining though limitations in the graphics engine means the
> maps aren't really that big, Also, too bad you bought CS for X-Box,
> you can download it for free on the PC.

You need to buy Half Life though, and i didn't find CS at all entertaining for the xbox, so how it could be lots better for the PC i do not know

> Games I'd recommend:
>
> UT 2004 - Excellent multiplayer, I'm am judging it from the demo
> though but that kicks ass and it's much better than the disappointing
> UT 2003

Been on the website, looked at trailer, ordered. Looks fantastic.

> Battlefield: Vietnam - Another multiplayer one, battle across Vietnam
> as either the US of Vietcong with a range of vehicles at your
> disposal, and it has cool 64 player servers which are just chaos to
> play.

64 player eh... Cool.

> Far Cry- Pleased with the demo looks great, very open with the
> opportunity to approach the game how you want be it stealthy or just
> blasting your way through.

I'll have a look.

> Max Payne 2 - Great action game with some excellent mods for it,
> which make it even better.

Can't say i enjoyed the first one much... has it improved much since the first?
Thu 18/03/04 at 13:41
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Aoe wrote:
> I have KOTOR for my xbox, as well as Counter Strike + live making them
> quite unecesary. What's the multiplayer like on CoD?

CODs multiplayer is quite good, not played it allot myself but it is very entertaining though limitations in the graphics engine means the maps aren't really that big, Also, too bad you bought CS for X-Box, you can download it for free on the PC.

Games I'd recommend:

UT 2004 - Excellent multiplayer, I'm am judging it from the demo though but that kicks ass and it's much better than the disappointing UT 2003

Battlefield: Vietnam - Another multiplayer one, battle across Vietnam as either the US of Vietcong with a range of vehicles at your disposal, and it has cool 64 player servers which are just chaos to play.

Far Cry- Pleased with the demo looks great, very open with the opportunity to approach the game how you want be it stealthy or just blasting your way through.

Max Payne 2 - Great action game with some excellent mods for it, which make it even better.

There are plenty other game besides, but these should tide you over for the time being.
Thu 18/03/04 at 08:30
Regular
"\\"
Too bad my RAM doesn't get here till saturday.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.