GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Did you know..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 25/01/07 at 09:42
"possibly impossible"
They say 'You learn something new every day'. Well, I thought I'd start a new thread of useful (useless?) information you might not have known. Feel free to add your own (as long as they are interesting).

Mobile Phones and Petrol Stations
---------------------------------
Despite the huge signs and angry petrol pump attendents, it's actually never been scientifically proved that a mobile signal could set off a fire in a petrol station. In fact, all electrical devices have to meet certain standards and creating a spark of sufficent amounts to ignite petrol fumes would usually mean you need to chuck your mobile away immediately.

There have never been any verified cases that I could find where this has actually happened, either. Which either shows that it's not possible, or that people don't talk on the phone while filling their cars.

That said, I've been told by Tesco staff that they have a health and safety video with an incident of someone using their phone and causing a fire, but this is more than likely a mock up.

Ring a Ring a Roses.
--------------------
Despite popular belief, this old nursery rhyme is not connected with the Black Death (Plague). The rhyme hasn't actually been around long enough to have been created at the time and the several original versions were not as easy to connect to the plague details as they are now.

However, it's just possible that the modern version could have been created by some creative minded children who had just finished a history lesson before entering the playground...
Thu 25/01/07 at 09:42
"possibly impossible"
They say 'You learn something new every day'. Well, I thought I'd start a new thread of useful (useless?) information you might not have known. Feel free to add your own (as long as they are interesting).

Mobile Phones and Petrol Stations
---------------------------------
Despite the huge signs and angry petrol pump attendents, it's actually never been scientifically proved that a mobile signal could set off a fire in a petrol station. In fact, all electrical devices have to meet certain standards and creating a spark of sufficent amounts to ignite petrol fumes would usually mean you need to chuck your mobile away immediately.

There have never been any verified cases that I could find where this has actually happened, either. Which either shows that it's not possible, or that people don't talk on the phone while filling their cars.

That said, I've been told by Tesco staff that they have a health and safety video with an incident of someone using their phone and causing a fire, but this is more than likely a mock up.

Ring a Ring a Roses.
--------------------
Despite popular belief, this old nursery rhyme is not connected with the Black Death (Plague). The rhyme hasn't actually been around long enough to have been created at the time and the several original versions were not as easy to connect to the plague details as they are now.

However, it's just possible that the modern version could have been created by some creative minded children who had just finished a history lesson before entering the playground...
Thu 25/01/07 at 09:57
Regular
"Previously Vampyr"
someone watches Mythbusters and QI.

pb \o/
Thu 25/01/07 at 10:01
Regular
"eat toast!"
Or went to eyam village where they heard the nursery rythme.
Thu 25/01/07 at 10:04
Regular
"Previously Vampyr"
spoonbeast wrote:
> Or went to eyam village where they heard the nursery rythme.

i prefer my reasons :p
Thu 25/01/07 at 11:44
"possibly impossible"
Try Fortean Times as well...

{regular subscriber}

However, all in my own words, with my own thoughts about it.
Thu 25/01/07 at 11:59
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
pb wrote:

> Ring a Ring a Roses.
> --------------------
> Despite popular belief, this old nursery rhyme is not connected
> with the Black Death (Plague). The rhyme hasn't actually been
> around long enough to have been created at the time and the
> several original versions were not as easy to connect to the
> plague details as they are now.
>
> However, it's just possible that the modern version could have
> been created by some creative minded children who had just
> finished a history lesson before entering the playground...

I always believed this myth and I think I learnt it at school :D, I have a few to post when I've got time :)
Thu 25/01/07 at 16:08
Regular
"I may return"
Today I learned that loadsa people are friends with my midget enemy, including my friends :(
Thu 25/01/07 at 16:14
Regular
"Previously Vampyr"
midget sure is takin you for all you have :o
Thu 25/01/07 at 16:16
Regular
"I may return"
My current enemies I still have others to add but I can't be bothered...
Thu 25/01/07 at 16:23
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
You don't like midgets then?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.