GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"OK, XBOX IS A BIG PC"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 01/08/01 at 20:50
Regular
Not many people get the thing about Xbox using PC architecture, but not being a PC (just like the PSone and Dreamcast)... so let's say:

XBOX IS A BIG PC

So what? Who cares? At the end of the day any gamer- hardcore or casual- want to have fun with their games. I couldn't care whether the Xbox had a dual 100000MHz processor or a 5MHz one... all I care about is the games. If you disagree then ask yourslef why you play games? Not to say "I have a 64 bit console"... but to have fun.

So, the games. Well, MS are good at flightsimulatrs...
Actually, none of these PC "games" are coming to the Xbox. Instead MS have secured dozends of exclusive games contracts as well as having had developers say "We'll make this exclusive".

So far the Xbox has exclusives like Halo (Bugie have been bought by MS... and that really shows dedication), as well as Munche's Oddessy (which PS2 fans were going on and on about until it was announced to be for the xbox... at whic point "it's not that good".). Also, the sequal to MSR, Project Gotham and Sega's Jet Set Radio Future are all coming to the Xbox exclusively.

It also has the pic of PS2 games, with developers like Konami and Capcom making MGS and Res evil games on the console. Many Japanese developers have their kits ready, and American firms are very eager to work on an American console.

So why are people whining about "it;s a PC". Who care if it is or isn't. It has great games. I'm not saying that everyone will like them- I shall be getting a GC because of Zelda, and will probably miss the xbox... but that's not to say I hate the thing!

Use your common sense... gamers like games... not console specs

NiGHTS!
Fri 03/08/01 at 22:35
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
yes, but they showed neiter Mario nor link at E3... the whole point of e3 is to say to developers "look at these great games, make more for our console", and to tell gamers "We have these games... they're great". So why would they not even show a video or one of the 3 mario games, or zelda? This is pathetic.

NiGHTS!
Fri 03/08/01 at 20:00
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
How do you know they won't be released for ages? There is not a hope in hell that they let Spaceworld go off without at least one major suprise. It right before the consoles Japaneese launch too, so they'll want to get consumers wipped into a frenzy that will have them running straight to the shops, cash in hand.
Fri 03/08/01 at 19:49
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
What is Ninty doing? They have loads of mario games (3) and a zelda game that won't be released for ages in development, and Luigi Mansion is their only "serious" launch game! Hopefully there will be good 2nd and 3rd party games too? Otherwise it's another console for me (the one with the best games)

NiGHTS!
Thu 02/08/01 at 22:35
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
Today I wa really getting excited while thinking about the Xbox because I it looks to me more promicing than the GC and PS2.

Yes, I know that you will all scream the GC will have great games but ones like donkey kong racing and luigis manson, altough promicing just don't excite me as much as Halo and Munchs oddessy do.

I belieave the Xbox has more games that will appeal to the mass market then the GC does which means more support and more games coming through.

I am currently deciding to start saving for a Xbox now so come launch day I might be able to get my grubby mits on it. Fingers crossed my DC will last me untill the spring.
Thu 02/08/01 at 20:44
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
Sureley the XBOX being like the PC is no bad thing is it not?
That is without the Glitches,Bugs etc which Microsoft assure us it wont have.
I remember speaking to several of the core designers of the XBOX several months ago on a live online chat and they assured me there will be no such problems.
Thu 02/08/01 at 20:40
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
years??? MS bought halo about a month after announcing Xbox officially! Thats why it's on the Pc... because it was already mostly developed!

I think

NiGHTS!
Thu 02/08/01 at 18:48
Regular
Yep, MS bought Bungie a couple of years ago I think.

I was quite surprised to hear that Halo is going to be available on PC. Especially considering the multiplayer as well.

But MS have touted Halo as their big launch game, so it has to be ready for launch.

I'd rather play a really good one player and all-round-the-telly multiplayer and have now internet, than them try and get the 'net play working and end up with average everything.
Thu 02/08/01 at 18:46
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Your Honour wrote:
> Well, I'd like to break some news to you now.

*Ahem*

Halo is
> not an XBox exclusive. It's coming out on the PC, and the PC will
> have internet multiplayer, and the XBox version won't.

They can't
> impliment it in time for the XBox lunch in the US in November (or
> whenever it is), so they're leaving it out.

woops! My mistake! What I MEANT to say was that Bungie, who make Halo, are now owned by MS. This makes Halo an Xbox exclusive, and most of their future games Xbox only.

Anyhow, the list of games is still very impressive!

NiGHTS!
Thu 02/08/01 at 18:25
Regular
Well, I'd like to break some news to you now.

*Ahem*

Halo is not an XBox exclusive. It's coming out on the PC, and the PC will have internet multiplayer, and the XBox version won't.

They can't impliment it in time for the XBox lunch in the US in November (or whenever it is), so they're leaving it out.
Thu 02/08/01 at 18:21
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
hmmmmm... did people miss my first post? Someone just said "I'm more excited about the specs"... the whole point of the topic was to point out specs meant nothing! It's the games...

And it seems amazing to me that more people aren't excited by the games. The fact is that the Xbox is pretty much matching the PS2 in terms of range of games and quality.... yet everyone is saying "The games don't appeal... my PS2 has better"- or words to that equivilant.

Name one of your current console games that you love... there is an Xbox equivilant for 99% of games that people will pick! And people still say they games aren't exciting!

NiGHTS!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.