GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I'm disliking my PS2 more and more..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 22/03/04 at 07:29
Regular
After reading some posts moaning about boring threads, I thought I'd...er...add to them :P

This post isn't groundbreakingly fantasticallistimo, but it should (hopefully) make a change from all the retarded posts filling up the PS2 forum right now.

Yes, my love for PS2 is continually declining. Why? How? Who? Well, it all started...

*cue ripply effect to show transition into flashback*

Wow! Xbox Live! *buys*

*cue another ripply transition back to current time, GMT of course*

That's it. Since discovering the wonderous magic of Xbox Live, I have played on my PS two a mammoth 1 time, to have a quick go on SOCOM.

Now, PS2 future hanging in the balance, I reflect on the good times. We've had classics aplenty on this vertical black box of tricks. We've experienced the next-gen greatness of classics like Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec, Grand Theft Auto 3, MGS2, Final Fantasy X etc. We've had not-so-classic yet still highly enjoyable games like Manhunt, Vice City, Tekken 4 and Prince of Persia (OK, that would probably count as a classic IMO). And we've had to tolerate literally hundreds of titles that would make you peel your own skin off and go for a swim in a vinegar lake. Yes, they were that bad.

Now what do we have to look forward to?

Gran Turismo 4? Meh, I've pre-ordered Prologue, but I doubt this is going to be a patch on Project Gotham 2.

Final Fantasy XI? Yeah, we're really going to see this in the UK before it's too late!

Splinter Cell 2? See Xbox.

Even Sony-sellers like Resident Evil have moved on to other consoles. RE:Outbreak? Sod that, RE4 is the real gem.

So what do we have? Well, There are now only two (maybe 3) games I am showing interest in on PS2 - Killzone and San Andreas. Not really much is it? And they're both a long way away.

This isn't a post on how you should all go and get an Xbox with Live, I'm just pointing out the fact that Sony don't really have any 'killer titles' on the horizon and that I am afraid I may be forced to offload my PS2. Again.

These days, anything worth buying for PS2 is available on Xbox or Gamecube. Splinter Cell 2, PoP, even Pro Evo is dabbling with Microsoft - there's another Sony Exclusive out the window.

So, what does the future hold for Sony's current generation of console? Be honest now, and think hard. I know a lot of you disagree with me but come on, can you really say that you are looking forward to Ratchet & Clank 3? Yet another Dancing Game? Yet another Jak ripoff?

Put your minds hard to work. Even the online aspect has sadly failed. There was so much potential yet Sony weren't as comitted as they claimed. Microsoft went on and on about how Live would kick ass. and it did. Microsoft did something right for a change. Nintendo said they weren't too bothered about online gaming. They have now proved they don't need it.

Now, looking at the time, ansd summarising on this post, I will stop now before I drag it out.

Bullett's Final Thought

What is left for the PS2? At least for us Europeans, can you see anything outstanding coming this way? We've already been denied the HDD along with FFXI, what else are they going to keep from us? Is it worth staying with Sony or should we all go elsewhere where the companies there have got it right?

What do you think?

DISCLAIMER - The HDD has NOT been denied, just that it seems to be taking forever to reach us. It's early, so sorry if this post doesn't make sense and I've just wasted 5 minutes of your life. I'll send you a replacement 5 minutes in the post :)
Tue 23/03/04 at 19:22
"period drama"
Sounds very interesting indeed.
*Watches*
Tue 23/03/04 at 19:05
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Lou Role wrote:
>The only exception may be a game called 'MERCENARIES' which is due out >in October, I read about it in the new OPS2 mag and it's basically "GTA >in a Warzone". You can steal jeeps, tanks, helicopters etc, as well as >buy them and it's completely free roaming with COMPLETELY destructible >environments, and for a PS2 title, the graphics were quite impressive.

I read about this game a little more last night and I think you guys will be interested to know a little about it; it sounds amazing. Even if it's not a PS2 exclusive, it certainly looks like one of the strongest PS2 games I've seen in a long time.

There's the one massive city and you have complete freedom to do whatever you like; for example, you can hire the Russian Mafia's help or buy ammunition off them, or any other organised crime syndicates, you can also just simply steal their stuff too. And like a lot of the latest games, there's many ways in which you can do the same mission. There was an example given in OPS2.

There was an enemy bunker and they gave 3 different ways on how to destroy it:

1.Walk in guns blazing
2.Roll a jeep down the hill and shoot it's fuel tank to take everyone out.
3.Take a helicopter, use it's winch to grapple a car and then start hitting the ground troops with it.

There seems to be an awful lot to this game, I know I'll be watching it's progress.
Tue 23/03/04 at 18:25
Regular
"Time Up"
There is only one thing to say : Final Fantasy
Mon 22/03/04 at 21:38
"period drama"
My PS2's taken a back seat since I got my GC.
It's just not as good.
Mon 22/03/04 at 20:16
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Icaruss wrote:
> Yes, but of the majority of online PS2 gamers who can't be bothered/
> can't afford to get Everquest?

FantasyMeister wrote:
> They should get off their backsides, get a job, and then buy it.

For me, it's not a case of not being able to afford playing a game like that, it's just that I would rather spend money on other things besides broadband connections and online gaming.
Mon 22/03/04 at 20:10
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
ßulle†† wrote:
> Is it worth staying with Sony or should we all go elsewhere where the
> companies there have got it right?
>
> What do you think?

I understand what you mean about losing interest in your PS2 as I feel the same way, and like yourself I decided to get the X-Box. The only real reason I'm keeping the PS2 for is San Andreas. I'm a pretty patient person for the most part so I don't mind waiting on it, and besides, I've already ordered it from SR.

But all the other big games are going to be available on the X-Box, like Driver 3 so there isn't really much due to arrive on the PS2 that's worth buying. The only exception may be a game called 'Mercenaries' which is due out in October, I read about it in the new OPS2 mag and it's basically "GTA in a Warzone". You can steal jeeps, tanks, helicopters etc, as well as buy them and it's completely free roaming with COMPLETELY destructible environments, and for a PS2 title, the graphics were quite impressive. It may worth watching, but it would have to be a PS2 exclusive to be worth it.
Mon 22/03/04 at 17:33
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
I'm in the exact opposite boat as you at the moment, because i don't bother to wait for the lazy publishers to actually get round to releasing poorly translated crap for us European gamers i go out there and import my stuff. So right now i'm trying to evenly spread my time out amongst 4 or 5 games. Until La Pucelle and Star Ocean 3 come out i don't think i could love my PS2 anymore than i do now
Mon 22/03/04 at 17:01
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Star Wars Galaxies, which is also heading for X-Box if I've read correct. The only other game besides Everquest and Galaxies that I know has been developed by Sony Online is Planetside, kind of a cross between a FPS and MMORPG.
Mon 22/03/04 at 16:41
Regular
"8==="
Hmmmm I must've confused it with a Microsoft title, What've they done similar to EverQuest?
Mon 22/03/04 at 15:40
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Hedfix wrote:
> Isn't EverQuest a Microsoft title?

Nope, Sony Online

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.