GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Upgrade advice!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 23/03/04 at 20:47
Regular
"Tag This."
Hey people.

I'm looking at upgrading me machine cos she's getting a bit old now. Her stats are:
AMD Athlon 1.2 Ghz
512mb RAM
Gigabyte MAYA Raedon 9000 Pro (128mb)
SBLive! PCI
60GB HD

I've got about £300 - £350 to splash out. What do I go for? I'm looking for gamesplaying (obviously!). Got Farcry on order and would like to be able to run it :)
Wed 24/03/04 at 00:29
Regular
Given your specs, yes.
Wed 24/03/04 at 00:25
Regular
"Tag This."
So you would go for a better graphics and slightly better CPU (+RAM, mobo) over top end CPU (no graphics upgrade)?
Tue 23/03/04 at 22:29
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Probably looking at an ABit NF7 or a DFI Infinity, an AMD 2500+ Barton, Sapphire rad 9800pro, about 1 gig of crucial RAM.

That would come in around your budget. You may need a new Power supply though.
Tue 23/03/04 at 22:23
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Well really you would need a new graphics card some new RAM and a CPU. Being a old CPU your motherboard would need replacing if your going to get a faster CPU. Also all the RAM would probably need replacing if you got a new CPU. The graphics card isnt brilliant and to run Far Cry you will need a beast of a PC.

A new motherboard is only £50 even less for a decent AMD one. RAM would be about £70 for 1Gb and then a decent CPU another £80 or so. A decent graphics card like a 9600XT or 9800 Pro would set you back £100-180.
Tue 23/03/04 at 20:47
Regular
"Tag This."
Hey people.

I'm looking at upgrading me machine cos she's getting a bit old now. Her stats are:
AMD Athlon 1.2 Ghz
512mb RAM
Gigabyte MAYA Raedon 9000 Pro (128mb)
SBLive! PCI
60GB HD

I've got about £300 - £350 to splash out. What do I go for? I'm looking for gamesplaying (obviously!). Got Farcry on order and would like to be able to run it :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.