GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Could the PS3 harm success Blu-ray?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 24/01/07 at 15:28
Regular
"eat toast!"
An interesting article i found from my recently delivered Gamestm mag:

Amid all the clamour surrounds PS3's inflated price tag was the assertion by sony itself that you were not simply buying a console; you were buying an entertainment centre. Online capablities certainly help in this respect, but even though it has rarely been made implict by sony, the inclusion of a blu-ray drive was always intended as a huge selling point

It is a harsh irony that the inclusion of the drive led to manufacturing shortages and did much to sabotage the console's early public image, and now analysts are claiming that the ps3 have a detrimental effect on the success of the blu-ray format as a whole.

Time warner chief executive officer Richard P earson said "Do i think that [PS3] is really going to drive the conversion of blu-ray? i don't think so. People get those things to play games, not watch movies".

Whatever the degree of success ps3 eventually enjoys, there simply aren't enough consoles available in the market place and sony's manufacturing problems are far from over. Ron Enderle of technology analysts the Enderle group, feels that Microsoft's optional HD-DVD drive will win over more converts, and help decide the console war. "HD DVD wins because of xbox 360" he commented. "There may be as many as ten times more HD dvd players by the end of the year.

The PS3 will no doubt do well, there are enough fanboys and decent games to ensure that will happen. But there are several outcomes that COULD happen with Blu-ray.

The first is that with many people buying PS3, blu-ray media players will find it difficult to gain a footing in the market because the PS3 has one and everyone will simply use that instead.

Another possablitiy is that when a new Blu-ray player comes out, it will have far better performance whereas the PS3 blu-ray would be lacking. Its highly improbable that it would never happen as its the same tech though.

Another possablity, it would be more popular to buy a blu ray player then to use the PS3 to watch movies. esstentially suggesting PS3 could have sold just as well selling on its processing power and games and using a DVD drive. Hence confirming certain peoples opininons that PS3 was expensive (thanks to the new blu ray tech) and the delays the losses sony incurrs just to produce the machine could have been avoided. That would probably anger more people and make people already angry of Sony's conduct of lauching the PS3 even more angrier.

One could argue that the customer could benefit by buying a PS3 as it will future proof sony custmers in entertainment. But thats IF Blu-ray takes off like the DVD and everyone embraces it. But to do that pretty much everyone would need to embrace it and with sony's console paving the way, it could be questionable. With sales dented from WII and xb360 and the price detering more people. Blu-ray might not fully take off for a long long time and instead is replaced by HD DVD and becomes the next progressive step for recording, viewing films,media etc etc. TBH we're at a sort of cross roads here. Blu ray tech isn't really required right now, but DVD might not be sufficent for storing ever larger files of games, movies etc soon. But who knows? Sony might triumph and blu ray will be a success too.

So your thoughts on Blu ray?
Thu 25/01/07 at 14:36
Regular
For films though it doesn't make a great deal of sense to have discs of that size, certainly doesn't weigh in as an argument on why one is better than the other.

If I record a movie to my Sky HD box, a length of around 2 hours in 1080i it takes up 12-14% of what I think is a 180gb drive so that's what, 20gb or around abouts. I am picky when it comes to picture quality and stuff but I can't honestly see why they would need to go any further, when you consider menus + features take up around 4gb on standard DVD's I am not sure what this big urge is to go further and further because all they are touching on is realms of quality that people can not distinguish.

The eye can only see so much detail and yes HD vs Standatd Def there is a crazy difference in quality, both films and games show that but since watching HD films on Sky HD I can't honestly see how much better or where they can take it next.

If you look around thhe net you'll find a lot of people saying very similar things about 1080i vs 1080p. It's the quality of the film that's worryinng me these days not the picture quality ;)
Thu 25/01/07 at 14:19
Regular
"lets go back"
Bullett wrote:
>
>
> p.s. for the disc argument, Toshiba has created a new 51Gb
> HD-DVD, that's more than Blu-Ray. Storage size was pretty much
> Blu-Ray's biggest selling point.

They are currently developing 100GB and 200GB blu Ray discs so I guess they will both improve as time goes by.
Thu 25/01/07 at 11:23
"possibly impossible"
hm. I don't think it will harm sales of Blu-ray. Despite not having the full functionality of a stand-alone Blu-ray player, the PS3 will appeal to early adopters. Anyone waiting a year will get a vastly discounted player or still pick up a new PS3 for the same price, more than likely containing new firmware which, I assume, Sony would have designed into the PS3 as they did with the PSP (and Microsoft have done with the 360 dashboard).

But it does seem to be the cheapest system that wins, so HD-DVD is still the favourite in that respect. However, never count those digital chickens...
Thu 25/01/07 at 10:23
Regular
Yes, both HD-DVD and Blu Ray have been out for some time now, just not many stores are going all-in becuase ther'es still a 'war' going on.

I was hoping that Combo player would see the light of day, but apparently it has a major flaw in not supporting HDi, yet supports the Blu Ray version. Effectively that means your interactive menus won't work as they should on HD-DVDs.

I'm sure someone will develop a complete player soon enough though.

p.s. for the disc argument, Toshiba has created a new 51Gb HD-DVD, that's more than Blu-Ray. Storage size was pretty much Blu-Ray's biggest selling point.
Wed 24/01/07 at 22:01
Regular
"eat toast!"
Are there any blu ray movies out?
Wed 24/01/07 at 16:14
Regular
"lets go back"
Blu-Ray players cost £1000 but PS3s cost £500. It would make sense to get a PS3 for half the price of a normal player and then be able to play games too.

I think the problem though it that not many people want a blu-ray player yet anyway, even if it is only £500. Lots of people do want games consoles however. For £500 you could buy an XBOX 360 AND a Wii, have a game for each and still have £20 spare.

The inclusion of Blu-ray in the PS3 is a great bargain if you want a blu-ray player, but for those who dont then it outprices the console.
Wed 24/01/07 at 15:28
Regular
"eat toast!"
An interesting article i found from my recently delivered Gamestm mag:

Amid all the clamour surrounds PS3's inflated price tag was the assertion by sony itself that you were not simply buying a console; you were buying an entertainment centre. Online capablities certainly help in this respect, but even though it has rarely been made implict by sony, the inclusion of a blu-ray drive was always intended as a huge selling point

It is a harsh irony that the inclusion of the drive led to manufacturing shortages and did much to sabotage the console's early public image, and now analysts are claiming that the ps3 have a detrimental effect on the success of the blu-ray format as a whole.

Time warner chief executive officer Richard P earson said "Do i think that [PS3] is really going to drive the conversion of blu-ray? i don't think so. People get those things to play games, not watch movies".

Whatever the degree of success ps3 eventually enjoys, there simply aren't enough consoles available in the market place and sony's manufacturing problems are far from over. Ron Enderle of technology analysts the Enderle group, feels that Microsoft's optional HD-DVD drive will win over more converts, and help decide the console war. "HD DVD wins because of xbox 360" he commented. "There may be as many as ten times more HD dvd players by the end of the year.

The PS3 will no doubt do well, there are enough fanboys and decent games to ensure that will happen. But there are several outcomes that COULD happen with Blu-ray.

The first is that with many people buying PS3, blu-ray media players will find it difficult to gain a footing in the market because the PS3 has one and everyone will simply use that instead.

Another possablitiy is that when a new Blu-ray player comes out, it will have far better performance whereas the PS3 blu-ray would be lacking. Its highly improbable that it would never happen as its the same tech though.

Another possablity, it would be more popular to buy a blu ray player then to use the PS3 to watch movies. esstentially suggesting PS3 could have sold just as well selling on its processing power and games and using a DVD drive. Hence confirming certain peoples opininons that PS3 was expensive (thanks to the new blu ray tech) and the delays the losses sony incurrs just to produce the machine could have been avoided. That would probably anger more people and make people already angry of Sony's conduct of lauching the PS3 even more angrier.

One could argue that the customer could benefit by buying a PS3 as it will future proof sony custmers in entertainment. But thats IF Blu-ray takes off like the DVD and everyone embraces it. But to do that pretty much everyone would need to embrace it and with sony's console paving the way, it could be questionable. With sales dented from WII and xb360 and the price detering more people. Blu-ray might not fully take off for a long long time and instead is replaced by HD DVD and becomes the next progressive step for recording, viewing films,media etc etc. TBH we're at a sort of cross roads here. Blu ray tech isn't really required right now, but DVD might not be sufficent for storing ever larger files of games, movies etc soon. But who knows? Sony might triumph and blu ray will be a success too.

So your thoughts on Blu ray?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.