GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Goldeneye Needs You!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'GoldenEye 007'.
Fri 26/03/04 at 01:08
Regular
"everyone says it"
[URL]http://archive.gamespy.com/titlefight/matches/0307.shtml?[/URL]

Go vote for the best console FPS game ever.

Hurry! GO!
Sat 27/03/04 at 21:25
Regular
Had my first experience of Halo on system link today with about 6 players (3 on one, 3 on the other) and it restored my faith in Halo.

After buying it last summer and barely touching it after completion, I thought it was extremely overhyped. But playing it on system link has restored my faith, and even with 6 players it was great.

Blood gulch with all vehicles was fantastic, and our team stole all the vehicles and hid them at the very end of the map, behind our base. Twas great watching them trying to figure out where they'd all gone...

Can't wait for Halo 2 now on Live

Anyhoo, that said, Goldeneye still remains my 2nd favourite game ever (2nd only to Perfect Dark)
Sat 27/03/04 at 16:33
Regular
Everything Afroe said.

Also, Halo's multiplayer is one of the best post-Goldeneye's I've come across. I played 4 player gunfights to death in the original Goldeneye.
Wonderful at first, but like everything, it slowly got worn out.

It wasn't the same in Perfect Dark.
It spiced it up with simulants and new weapons (like the Farsight) and a bit more innovation in the multiplayer level design but we never QUITE enjoyed it as much as Goldeneye (this could possibly be partly blamed on the fact that if you tried to put too many sims on then the whole game started to chug at a snails pace).

Halo wasn't a Goldeneye, but it gave a new lease of life to genre more or less the same as Perfect Dark did.
The grenade system, the "1 hit from behind kills" melee system, the "one headshot kills" sniper system, the way all the weapons were balanced in some way so that you could be a killing machine with the most basic pistol and be vunerable in the biggest tank.
The vehicles put a whole new slant on the game too.

The ONLY flaw was that to get the best from most of the levels, you needed more than just 4 players, and even THAT wasn't a flaw if you had the luxury of experiencing a giant 16 player link-up battle.

Halo 2 should make this even better, with the expanded options and live features.

Wireless Goldeneye on a handheld would own it though! :-D
Fri 26/03/04 at 22:50
"I love yo... lamp."
To a small extent graphics and sound do make a difference to a games greatness. Sometimes they just make you sit up and go Wow! and you end up just in love with a game. I'm thinking of PGR2 here, it was just sensational. If Halo hadn't looked as nice, then it wouldn't have been quite as good.

As for Halo's multiplayer... 16 player system link. Best offline game experience ever. Some of the levels are just breath taking. Can't remember what one it is, but the one in space, with two sides of a ship with space between them... Superb. As is the snow one, the big huge one. Warthogs make that level stupendous. Nothing quite measures up to playing chicken with two warthogs and when they crash, having yours land on top of your opponent. What an experience.
Fri 26/03/04 at 22:47
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
It's got to be Goldeneye, simply because it revolutionised the First Person Shooter genre. As many of you have pointed out, Halo took the good bits out of Goldeneye and added extras: well, to me, that's a reason Goldeneye should be considered the better of the two. It may not have the sparkle of Halo, but what it does have is the claim to being a benchmark for future games. Which Halo is. And which is why it is really second best.
Fri 26/03/04 at 22:40
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> From an unbiased stand point :-P, Halo is the better game in most
> ways. It has better graphics, sound

An Xbox game has better quality graphics and sound than an N64 game? Shocker!
Fri 26/03/04 at 21:37
"Uzi Lover"
Rickoss, can you point out for me what is so bad about Halos level design?
Fri 26/03/04 at 21:16
Regular
I agree with Biggles.

Halo basically copied everything great about Goldeneye, added more idea's on and beefed up with Xbox power.

The single player level design let it down a bit, but the rest was almost flawless.
Playing multiplayer with the vehicles... I'd say the best current generation multiplayer bar-Smash Bros Melée (and that's including TS2), and even then, Smash Brothers it's THAT comfortably in the lead! :-)
Fri 26/03/04 at 16:31
Regular
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> From an unbiased stand point :-P, Halo is the better game in most
> ways. It has better graphics, sound, multiplayer, the game play is
> just as great and involving, and the tanks so much cooler. It is
> simply better than Goldeneye.

I wouldn't say it's half as involving as Goldeneye, for the most part when I try to play, it seems too much of a mindless blaster for the most part, and I'm constantly battling with sloppy level design, Goldeneye has ten times more depth and thus engrossed me a lot more when I played it. Oh, and better in multiplayer? Now this is very untrue.

Having said that, Halo's still a great game.
Fri 26/03/04 at 16:30
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Goldeneye gets my vote of course. Halo is just *so* overated. Sure, it's good, but it ain't all it's made out to be. It's just there's not much else good on the Xbox to compare it to.
Fri 26/03/04 at 15:53
Regular
"Whatever!"
My vote goes to Goldeneye - One of the best games ever!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.