GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gameboy Advance is it really 32bit?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 30/07/01 at 19:51
Regular
ok i have just seen the screen shots for Mario Advance II and yes it looks exactly like the Super Nintendo version but the SNES was a 16bit console right? And the GameBoy Advance is a 32 bit console so why do we keep seeing conversions from 16 bit machines?(Mario 2,Earthworm jim). Maybe i have missed something so can someone please explain
Tue 31/07/01 at 23:30
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Dr Gonzo: needing to pop his brain in its jar and have a nice long sleep.
Tue 31/07/01 at 22:53
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
LOL, yeah I was being serious!

FM: Being serious for once.
Tue 31/07/01 at 22:31
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
I only put it in reply to yours as it was the shortist and seemed to point out the confusion over the matter found in the whole thread nice and easily.

As for the ECTS thing, surely the four story games store and PC repair/retailing venue you own in the heart of would be more relevant?

Note: I've never tried to register with a fake store, just from walking around the show floor last year either there are more 14 year old company MDs than you'd think or some were bluffing :)

Though I am now confused as to whether you were being 100% serious in that post as well...
Tue 31/07/01 at 19:12
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Thanks for that, but my apologies, I was being flippant when I asked that question.

Hard to put that across really in text unless I write "This is a flippant post" after it.

I'll remember to do that in future.

P.S. I sold a Dreamcast game recently at an online auction site, will ECTS treat me as a trader if I signup at www.ects.com?

(I am over 18 and can talk the stockings off Nora Batty)
Tue 31/07/01 at 17:58
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
FantasyMeister wrote:
> So why don't the games look twice as good as they did on > the SNES?

Because the bit rate of a processor is a very minor indicator to the console/computers "power". 32-bit refers to the number of bits a processor can handle per cycle. In this case the GBA CPU processes 32 individual bits in wach cycle. The processors speed refers to how quickly it does these cycles. Obviously if a 16-bit processor is doing twice as many cycles per second as a 32-bit processor then the two are running at the same rate. So, you need to look at the processors speed as well as teh bit rate.

Aside from that, you've also got to look at the consoles architecture. Some consoles/computers have the CPU dealing with all the sound and graphics processing (note: that won't be likely), most have a graphics and sound card taking some of the brunt. If the graphics card works with more of the processing then that frees up the CPU to do other things. For the GBA this means you'd have to look at the other chips in their and what they are doing.

Remember - the PS2 and Gamecube are 128 bit, all Pentium chips are 32-bit. That means the X-Box is a 32-bit machine, like the GBA and the PSX. The difference is that the X-Box has a processor running at a far greater speed (example: a P75MHz and a PIII 1GHz are both 32 bit) and includes an N Vida graphics card as well as sound somewhere in there too.

In short - the bit rate means almost nothing by itself. There are so many other factors (and I haven't even touched on bus speeds and RAM) that it is almost inconsequential.
Tue 31/07/01 at 09:49
Regular
Myst1que wrote:
> Edgy wrote:
> I take it that those who think the GBA is a
> portable SNES haven't
> seen Tony Hawks 2?

actually i have

So you think that it would have been possible for that game to run on the SNES with just as high quality???
Mon 30/07/01 at 21:17
Regular
Edgy wrote:
> I take it that those who think the GBA is a portable SNES haven't
> seen Tony Hawks 2?

actually i have
Mon 30/07/01 at 21:11
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
cooldogs wrote:
> I dont think that a 1st person shooter on the GBA would work,
> because you need to get involved in the character, so you need the
> big screen in front of you, not a tiny screen.

just a thought, I
> wouldnt be able to cope not playing my games on a tiny screen, I
> love my 17" monitor.

seeyas

You are closer to the picture. I reakon the would be cool!
Mon 30/07/01 at 21:01
GasMask wrote:
> Because Nintendo didn't make a 32bit machine.

They have to build
> on the SNES games or make totally new ones. As was mentioned
> earilier making a new games costs money, time, effort etc

yeah, you took the words right out of my mouth

:-)
Mon 30/07/01 at 20:51
I dont think that a 1st person shooter on the GBA would work, because you need to get involved in the character, so you need the big screen in front of you, not a tiny screen.

just a thought, I wouldnt be able to cope not playing my games on a tiny screen, I love my 17" monitor.

seeyas

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.