GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Filezilla FTP & hidden files on Standard Hosting"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 18/01/10 at 17:40
"Are you sure?"
Hi Freeola,
A while back I remember a poster (Neilj99) mentioning some issues with FTP and 'hidden files'.

It came to light that the latest version of Filezilla no longer shows hidden files with Freeola's Standard web servers.

I'm still using Filezilla 3.1.3.1 which does work!

Previously Eccles mentioned he hoped Filezilla would fix the problem. Reading the Filezilla forums the problem often arises. Filezilla's comment is always get the server fixed!

I'm running the latest version of Filezilla on another PC and confirm that even with the "force showing hidden files" option selected it doesn't work.

In one of the more helpful threads this was mentioned as a solution.

I know *nothing* about pure-ftp but thought this was worth a mention in case it's useful as others seem to have had success with it.

Try this with pure-ftpd
echo "yes" > /etc/pure-ftpd/conf/DisplayDotFiles
then restart pure-ftpd

What do you think?
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 18/01/10 at 18:14
"Are you sure?"
I agree with you, it all seems rather strange to me!

I know Freeola recommend Filezilla, hence the post :¬)
I used to as well, but this has put me off a bit - it's also a good example of why it's not always best to be bleeding edge and download the latest versions of everything!

FYI Here's the older thread where Filezilla try to explain why they say "broken server".
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 18/01/10 at 18:00
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Cheers Hmm. Already aware of the work around, however if a lot of other clients don't have problems with Pure-FTPd then why are Filezilla blaming it on the server software and why do older versions of their program work fine and the newer versions don't. Seems they may have changed something just for the sake of it.
I'll see if I can get ther fx implemented though as apart from this problem Filezilla is our recommended FTP client.
Mon 18/01/10 at 17:40
"Are you sure?"
Hi Freeola,
A while back I remember a poster (Neilj99) mentioning some issues with FTP and 'hidden files'.

It came to light that the latest version of Filezilla no longer shows hidden files with Freeola's Standard web servers.

I'm still using Filezilla 3.1.3.1 which does work!

Previously Eccles mentioned he hoped Filezilla would fix the problem. Reading the Filezilla forums the problem often arises. Filezilla's comment is always get the server fixed!

I'm running the latest version of Filezilla on another PC and confirm that even with the "force showing hidden files" option selected it doesn't work.

In one of the more helpful threads this was mentioned as a solution.

I know *nothing* about pure-ftp but thought this was worth a mention in case it's useful as others seem to have had success with it.

Try this with pure-ftpd
echo "yes" > /etc/pure-ftpd/conf/DisplayDotFiles
then restart pure-ftpd

What do you think?
[s]Hmmm...[/s]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.