GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Filezilla FTP & hidden files on Standard Hosting"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 18/01/10 at 17:40
"Are you sure?"
Hi Freeola,
A while back I remember a poster (Neilj99) mentioning some issues with FTP and 'hidden files'.

It came to light that the latest version of Filezilla no longer shows hidden files with Freeola's Standard web servers.

I'm still using Filezilla 3.1.3.1 which does work!

Previously Eccles mentioned he hoped Filezilla would fix the problem. Reading the Filezilla forums the problem often arises. Filezilla's comment is always get the server fixed!

I'm running the latest version of Filezilla on another PC and confirm that even with the "force showing hidden files" option selected it doesn't work.

In one of the more helpful threads this was mentioned as a solution.

I know *nothing* about pure-ftp but thought this was worth a mention in case it's useful as others seem to have had success with it.

Try this with pure-ftpd
echo "yes" > /etc/pure-ftpd/conf/DisplayDotFiles
then restart pure-ftpd

What do you think?
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Tue 09/02/10 at 10:07
Regular
I use Wise FTP, it was a FREE download and it happily shows hidden files, like .htaccess files etc

Digi
Sun 07/02/10 at 17:27
"Are you sure?"
Hmmm... wrote:
> Haven't tried a PC with the latest Filezilla loaded yet.

I have now - looks good!
Thanks.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Fri 05/02/10 at 15:29
Regular
"Embrace the Martian"
Hmmm... wrote:
> FireFTP in FF is now working :¬)
> Haven't tried a PC with the latest Filezilla loaded yet.
>
>
> Thanks for that - Hope my postings were helpful...

Most definitely, although this is quite a widely known problem now. I was a bit conflicted with this issue, I tend to stand with standards police over anarchists, luckily our FTP server of choice can be forced into standards mode or at least force the files to be shown in this instance.
Fri 05/02/10 at 14:43
"Are you sure?"
FireFTP in FF is now working :¬)
Haven't tried a PC with the latest Filezilla loaded yet.

Thanks for that - Hope my postings were helpful...

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Fri 05/02/10 at 13:13
Regular
Oooh - thankyou.

That saves having to fire up CuteFTP to edit the files.

Neil
Fri 05/02/10 at 12:47
Regular
"Embrace the Martian"
This issue should now be resolved, please report any problems here in the forum, there or on the phone 0871 210 9977.
Tue 19/01/10 at 18:11
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
The worst part is this isnt a new issue it seems. Doing a quick google reveals smartftp having the exact same issue 5 years ago. TBH I think thats more than enough time for the pure-ftp developers to fix it.
Tue 19/01/10 at 17:49
"Are you sure?"
FWIW
I tried FireFTP (Firefox addon) earlier today and this also fails to display hidden files even with "show hidden files" selected.

So I guess the Standards Police are causing this as well ;¬)
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Tue 19/01/10 at 08:39
"Are you sure?"
Garin wrote:
> Maybe its when they added support for MLSD...

Yep, that's what Filezilla seem to be saying - see the link I gave earlier...

Filezilla:
"MLSD has no arguments other than possibly a pathname, there's no such thing as -l for it.
LIST has also only one argument, a pathname. Strictly speaking, use of -a violates the standard.
Server not showing all files with MLSD -> broken
"

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 18/01/10 at 20:13
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Eccles wrote:
> Cheers Hmm. Already aware of the work around, however if a lot of
> other clients don't have problems with Pure-FTPd then why are
> Filezilla blaming it on the server software and why do older
> versions of their program work fine and the newer versions don't.

Maybe its when they added support for MLSD. It looks like pure-ftp supports it but by default doesnt show hidden files still (I dont think that is right). So older versions were getting directories with LIST still. And lots of FTP servers implement this incorrectly and allow -a to be passed (to get hidden files).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.