GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Help needed!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 30/07/01 at 14:02
Regular
Ok, I need to update the BIOS on my motherboard.

I have an exe file I got from the 'net.

But do I need to format my HDD drive before I do it? If I don't, is there a risk I may lose everything on my HDD?

I have an Abit KT7A RAID motherboard (but I'm not actually using the RAID thing).

Thanks.
Mon 30/07/01 at 16:11
Regular
"Tag as above"
If it ain't broke and all that....

Unless theres a reason for you to flash your bios I wouldn't bother. If there is a performance advantage you have to decide if its worth it, or if its a compatability problem solved then its worth it. I've never had a bios update go completely wrong when updating except when I lost my keyboard port and couldn't continue, required a new motherboard (at IBM's expense).
Mon 30/07/01 at 15:58
Regular
Turbo, I don't know much about it.

I have to upgrade mine as at the moment it's not compatible with my sound card, this update should fix that.

The only other reason to update your BIOS is sometimes it allows the motherboard to handle a faster processor, (from say 1Gig to 1.3 etc).

I'm not amazingly technical, as you know, but if your pc works fine, and you don't want to upgrade your processier, I wouldn't bother.

However, if you are thining of upgrading your CPU in the future, it may be worthwhile.

Sorry that was all a bit vague BTW.
Mon 30/07/01 at 15:56
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
How will updating my BIOS affect my PC? I have Sisoft Sandra and it says my BIOS is flash-enabled (or something) and I should update it. Is it really worth going through the trouble of doing it?
Mon 30/07/01 at 15:14
Regular
I was thinking about unplugging the HDD and going from a boot disc but I just needed someone to confirm it.

Thanks for your help! Much appriciated!
Mon 30/07/01 at 15:11
Regular
"Tag as above"
Updating the BIOS shouldn't have anything to do with the harddrive but you could make sure by disconnecting it and using a boot disk to update your BIOS. Usually pretty straight forward, just run it(or read the instruction off the web). I think your board (I have the KT7 Raid) has two bios's on it, one as a backup incase the main one gets busted. Just don't turn off you PC while its updating or you'll screw it right up.
Mon 30/07/01 at 14:02
Regular
Ok, I need to update the BIOS on my motherboard.

I have an exe file I got from the 'net.

But do I need to format my HDD drive before I do it? If I don't, is there a risk I may lose everything on my HDD?

I have an Abit KT7A RAID motherboard (but I'm not actually using the RAID thing).

Thanks.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.