GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Variety"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 29/07/01 at 22:13
Regular
Variety comes in packs of 8 and which one to choose… (Sorry)

Now one thing (hopefully) even Playstation fans can accept is that when it comes to variety Nintendo give you the better options. First we have colours, the N64 has a large collection of different N64 colours, the Gameboy Color is the same and so is the Gameboy Advanced even the Gamecube will have a selection of colours to choose from.

So what I hear you cry, since when has colours had an effect on gaming, well as Tesco’s say every little helps and if you are one of those people who don’t like purple or black it is nice to be able change it. But I’m not just talking about the colours of controllers and consoles I’m also talking about your ability to choose what sort of console you want. The PS2 is expensive, this isn’t a big criticism but one thing that drives up the price is its ability to play DVD’s. If it was £100 who would want to buy a DVD player if they get a game console and DVD machine combo for cheaper?

Unfortunately people who already have a DVD player or don’t want one isn’t getting a good deal, they are paying extra and the extra they are getting is something they don’t want. Now Nintendo make a console without a DVD player to cater for the people with low budgets or don’t want a DVD player whilst Panasonic make a more expensive console for those who can afford more and want a DVD player. A nice bit of variety there.

Nintendo games also show a lot of variety, they tend to be unashamedly cute but if you like Racing, Golf, Board games, platformers, RPG’s, Beat ‘em ups and puzzle games you can get a Mario game! It is quite amazing how Nintendo can make so many different types of games to cater for so many different peoples tastes involving a fat Italian plumber! Smash Brothers is a great example of Nintendo’s variety as you can compare Nintendo’s big name characters and discover how different they are.

So should we see more Variety in games? Is Variation in colours important? Will we be able to pick and choose graphic and sound chips to suit our budget much like a PC’s in the future? What do you think?

Here’s to the future

Dringo
Sun 29/07/01 at 22:13
Regular
Variety comes in packs of 8 and which one to choose… (Sorry)

Now one thing (hopefully) even Playstation fans can accept is that when it comes to variety Nintendo give you the better options. First we have colours, the N64 has a large collection of different N64 colours, the Gameboy Color is the same and so is the Gameboy Advanced even the Gamecube will have a selection of colours to choose from.

So what I hear you cry, since when has colours had an effect on gaming, well as Tesco’s say every little helps and if you are one of those people who don’t like purple or black it is nice to be able change it. But I’m not just talking about the colours of controllers and consoles I’m also talking about your ability to choose what sort of console you want. The PS2 is expensive, this isn’t a big criticism but one thing that drives up the price is its ability to play DVD’s. If it was £100 who would want to buy a DVD player if they get a game console and DVD machine combo for cheaper?

Unfortunately people who already have a DVD player or don’t want one isn’t getting a good deal, they are paying extra and the extra they are getting is something they don’t want. Now Nintendo make a console without a DVD player to cater for the people with low budgets or don’t want a DVD player whilst Panasonic make a more expensive console for those who can afford more and want a DVD player. A nice bit of variety there.

Nintendo games also show a lot of variety, they tend to be unashamedly cute but if you like Racing, Golf, Board games, platformers, RPG’s, Beat ‘em ups and puzzle games you can get a Mario game! It is quite amazing how Nintendo can make so many different types of games to cater for so many different peoples tastes involving a fat Italian plumber! Smash Brothers is a great example of Nintendo’s variety as you can compare Nintendo’s big name characters and discover how different they are.

So should we see more Variety in games? Is Variation in colours important? Will we be able to pick and choose graphic and sound chips to suit our budget much like a PC’s in the future? What do you think?

Here’s to the future

Dringo
Sun 29/07/01 at 22:14
I hate you Dringo.. I was about to post a topic on variety in a few days time...
Sun 29/07/01 at 22:19
Regular
erm... Sorry?
Sun 29/07/01 at 22:22
Regular
Every console needs a healthy variety of games.

The Gamecube looks to be offering the best variety.

(There other 2 tend to shun games with cartoony graphics.)
Sun 29/07/01 at 22:22
Ah, never mind.. it's just that out of the 3 long-ish topics I've about to write, 2 of them have already been posted just before I post mine.
Sun 29/07/01 at 23:00
Regular
Lets hope the one left wins!
Sun 29/07/01 at 23:05
A veriety of games to choose from is always important if you ask me! And I do like the fact that there will soon be a reasonable veriety of consoles to choose from as well.
Mon 30/07/01 at 01:01
Regular
Indeed Variety big it up!
Mon 30/07/01 at 01:24
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
The addition of DVD playing to the PS2 doesn't alter the cost much - if at all. The DVD drive is already there for the games so all that was need was some software for MPEG decoding. You don't get the same high quality results as a standalone player with a hardware MPEG decoder, but you still get DVD playback. The cost of developing the software evened out over the millions of PS2 pretty much sets it to zero per unit.
Mon 30/07/01 at 18:28
Regular
DVD player = about £200.

PS2 comes out at £100.

DVD Players don't sell.

see the problem.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.