GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Possible PS3 Software Format"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 01/04/04 at 01:11
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
[URL]http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/03/31/news_6092605.html[/URL]

Hmm blu-ray discs eh? Sounds interesting and that 25GB of space on the single layered disc will allow Kojima to put in all the movies he likes in his games (like we need anymore). Probably also an attempt to stop piracy seeing as i don't know many people with a blu-ray disc rewriter. Give it a few years by the time the PS3 actually does come out and if it is using these discs there'll probably be a ton of rewriters already out on the market.

Just hope for Sony's sake that they are easy to program on otherwise i can see developers shifting over to nintendo or microsoft.
Sat 03/04/04 at 12:28
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Legendary Link wrote:
> what happened to all the talk about PS3 games being only available
> online via a download?

Sony spoke on that matter quite recently.
Seems they have been looking into the broadband distribution in the UK and europe. They plan to release the PS3 towards the end of 2005 maybe 2006 and say that currently most folk have the 512K which just wouldn't support downloading games. They say at least 2-3 Mb is required and say that soon we could be seeing much higer download speeds so you never know.
If higher download rates become common here before then we could be seeing downloadable content available for the PS3.
Sat 03/04/04 at 01:25
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Cusack wrote:
> Actually there won't be just 25 GB discs, there's also 50 GB blue ray
> discs, and they were announced to be used for ps3.

Was pointed out in the article itself
Sat 03/04/04 at 00:09
"High polygon count"
Blimey, Gamespot are a bit behind the times, aren't they?

I posted something about PS3 possibly using BluRay over a year ago, after it appeared in one of the magazines!
Fri 02/04/04 at 20:25
Regular
quality
Fri 02/04/04 at 20:24
Regular
"Time Up"
Actually there won't be just 25 GB discs, there's also 50 GB blue ray discs, and they were announced to be used for ps3.
Fri 02/04/04 at 20:17
Regular
online is the route that sony and microsoft want to take to inovate and further games, maybe Nintendo will gain ground with their ideas, touch screen joypad on the ds, thats great, means that a different control system for different games, or, make your own.
Fri 02/04/04 at 19:23
"period drama"
Well, that's bull.
Even a nation this far up Sony's ass wouldn't stand for that.

I think the PS3 will be the last next-gen console in terms of graphical improvements. It really can't get all that much better.
See the jump in quality from PS1 to PS2 - that jump again would bump things up to proper real-life stuff.

Ninty's got the right idea - things can't keep going in the graphical direction. You've gotta think of some new things - change the way we play games, not just what they look like.
Fri 02/04/04 at 18:34
Regular
what happened to all the talk about PS3 games being only available online via a download?
Fri 02/04/04 at 17:33
Regular
"8==="
Cartridges!!!
Fri 02/04/04 at 15:06
Regular
"uncopyable"
Ahh yes, I remember the Dr 64 with some fondness actually.

Never owned one, but one of the games magazines i used to work for, who shall remain nameless, used it to do 90% of their reviews ;-)

I will never forget the comedy of a watching a PR guy from a games publisher come in to show us the final version of their latest game, then leave it with us for an hour while the Editor took him out to lunch to talk mag covers. Just enough time to 'back up' the game with the Dr64. The PR guy leaves with his game, and we have the next few days to complete the review and take lots of nice pics.

I always wondered if he ever thought, 'how did they get so many shots, from locations so far into the game, in only an hour'. lol

Good days. :-D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.