GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is the PlayStation 2 a SequelStation too?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 29/07/01 at 12:43
Regular
Right then, flying around recently have been a lot of comments about the PS2’s large (allegedly) amount of sequels. In front of me I have the latest copy of the Official UK PlayStation 2 magazine. Inside it contains a list of every PS2 game launched yet, and release dates up to October (reliably). So, here’s my analysis:

Out of the 106 games out now there are:

59 original games
19 sequels
5 multi-format ports
23 tedious sports updates

And, of the 45 games coming out up to and including October there are:

22 original games
12 sequels
3 multi-format ports
8 tedious sports updates

So, is the PlayStation 2 a SequelStation too? Well, sequels are inevitable on all consoles, for reasons I will explain later. Now, let’s analyse the GameCube’s launch line up (provided by Reaper[oV]).

Of the 18 games set for launch, there are:

7 original games
4 sequels
0 multi format ports (I think)
7 tedious sports updates

So, while the 55% of the PS2’s games are original and 17% are sequels, the GameCube has only 38% original games and 22% sequels. In reality, everyone who says the PS2 is full of sequels should keep quiet in future, as the GameCube is even worse. Right then, I’ve finished my small dig at the GameCube now, but is it really a dig? Sequels are inevitable. Water’s wet, rocks are hard, consoles have sequels. It’s a fact of life. I don’t blame the GameCube for having sequels any more than I blame the sun for rising in the morning. Sequels are a developer’s best friend. How many people are willing to buy the exact same game every year with slightly update graphics, different players and a bigger number on the end? Millions! Just ask EA! Also, publishers are afraid of getting low review scores, but if your game is just a remake of last year’s hit, the suckers will buy it anyway. You can just keep repeating the same formula over and over again every year, and you’ll be raking it in.

Another thing is, sequels don’t just make good business sense, developers are required to release sequels. What do you think would happen if Kazunori Yamuchi announced there would be no more Gran Turismo games? There’s would be a public outcry! What do you think would happen if Shigeru Miamoto announced he wasn’t planning on a Zelda game for the GameCube? Well, Nintendo would lynch him for a start. I like sequels. If I finish a really great game, I want to keep playing on it. That’s where sequels come in. The sequel gets released, and hopefully it’s a better game as well. That way, I can keep playing my favourite game forever. GT3 is a sequel of GT2, although it’s bordering on update territory. Does this make it a worse game? I think not. GT3 is fantastic, despite its similarities.

So what do you think? Are sequels the creation of genius, or the spawn of Satan? Discuss.
Sun 29/07/01 at 14:52
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Ha, who cares anyway if there are more sequels on such-and-such a console? I don't, but it appears most Nintys do. I think this is because they want to use originality as an argument against the PS2. Well, they can't anymore, MWWHAAA WHAA HAA HA HA HA HA!!!
Sun 29/07/01 at 14:50
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
No, I haven't counted Luigi's Mansion as a sequel.

I did count Star Fox Adventures as one, but seeing as I thought Super Smash Bros was original, I've made up for that.

So, it's all correct then.
Sun 29/07/01 at 14:48
Regular
"You've upset me"
Yeah so bite that, Robin!

:-P
Sun 29/07/01 at 14:48
Thats a decent lineup for a consoles launch in the US, after all the Americans are all sports crazy. Infact any Briton whos ever visited an Americans game shop will be stunned at the amount of Sports titles!

I wouldnt say this means that the GameCube will be unoriginal, it just means that these sports sequels are what sells in America. Give the GameCube a few months after launch and it will become more original.
Sun 29/07/01 at 14:45
Regular
"not dead"
Quick question (no scrap that, long, poorly worded, awkward and pedantic question :-) )

Are you calling Luigi's Mansion a sequel, if so, what is it a sequel to?

Though Luigi has appeared in a number of games, he has never had his own game. He wasn't even in SuperMario64. The game is an original game. In style, it is like nothing that Nintendo have ever developed before. It could just have easily have been called Haunted Mansion, and featured an all new character called Herculio, a man sized wombat. But if you've got these mascot character, why not use them?

If the game had been a similar style to a previous Mario game, I'd allow you to call it a sequel, but in my opinion, simply using a character that has only featured in other games before doesn't count!

Are you calling Star Fox Adventures a sequel?

Well again yes, it features characters previously used in games, but this is an adventure, rather than a shooter-on-rails!

Wave Race, and Super Smash Bros are sequels, the other Nintendo games set for launch (so far) are not.
Sun 29/07/01 at 14:32
Regular
My PC is old and knackered, so PC ports are a good thing for me. I've never played Deus Ex or Black & White. With the xBox we'll probably get cutting edge games like these at the same time as PC.
Sun 29/07/01 at 14:31
Regular
"You've upset me"
This is the list Repaer gave in TBN's topic. These are the American releases.

Nintendo
Luigi's Mansion
NBA Courtside
Pikmin
Super Smash Brothers Melee
Wave Race: Blue Storm

Acclaim
All-Star Baseball 2002
Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX 2
Extreme-G 3
NFL Quarterback Club 2002

Midway
NFL Blitz 2002
NHL Hitz 2002

Rare
Star Fox Adventures: Dinosaur Planet
Silicon Knights
Eternal Darkness

Lucas Arts
Star Wars Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron 2

EA
Madden NFL 2002

Sega
Super Monkey Ball

Kemco
Batman Dark Tomorrow
Sun 29/07/01 at 14:28
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
New Jimmy wrote:
> What are the launch games for the GameCube, names please!

See my topic in Chat.
Sun 29/07/01 at 14:28
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I agree, EA sports killed originality.

The Xbox will be the most original, but then again, there will be a helluva lot of PC ports.
Sun 29/07/01 at 14:24
What are the launch games for the GameCube, names please!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.