GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Girls and Games.... a womans view...."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 28/07/01 at 17:52
Regular
Hi there,

Are there any females out there who post on this site ? It seems very male dominated to tell the truth.

Anyway, I'd like to have a chat about Girls and Games. The reason I posting this in this forum is it seems to me that the playstation has the biggest number of games that have exagerrated female characters in them. I guess there are two perspectives to take on this one:

Girls in video games
and
Girls playing video games

Girls in video games
------------------

What is it about video game chicks that get you boys all excited ? I suppose we should take Lara Croft as the prime example. I know quite a few lads who think that she is very attractive... ah HELLO... she is not a real person, she is just a collection of pixels on a game screen.
So what is the big deal ?
Also, why do developers insist in creating female characters with completely oversized proportions ?! What's that all about ? Is this simply the designers pandering to the desires of this male dominated industry ? Or are all game designers under the sad illusion that this is what a woman actually looks like ?!

I see a lot of video games with male leading characters. I can only speak for myself (but I imagine that my view will be shared with practically every other girl out there) but I have NEVER EVER found a character in a game to be attractive. So why are all you guys doing the opposite ?

Look at Dead or Alive 2. Very good fighting game for sure. But what is the story with the 'animations'? You know what I am talking about. Lets face it, this kind of thing really doesn't add anything to the game (correct me if I am wrong). As for the picture gallery... wow there seems to be a lot of sad people out there !

So come on lads, can anyone enlighten my as to what ye see as being so fascinating about female videogame characters. How many of you out there reckon Solid Snake is a 'cool' character ? Most of you ? Well think about that for just a second.... now you are admiring a male game character. Are you worried now ?!

OK enough raving... I guess you get my point.

Girls playing video games
-----------------------
I know only a few girls who play video games (actually I know 2 !). I've been playing video games for years, and I know a lot of girls out there reckon I am weird for that reason. I know that men don't find people weird if they like games so why do women do this ? Also, I know a few guys who reckon that women shouldn't play games at all - which really doesn't deserve to be commented on to be honest.
What do you guys think ?

Another funny aspect to this is the whole 'getting beaten by a woman' thing. I played DOA2 against a friend (male) of my brother recently. Being fairly handy at the game I more or less kicked his ass completely every go we had. Needless to say he was very annoyed about it, but worse still he was embarrassed about it, Why was he embarrassed ? So what if I am a girl. There is no reason in the world why a girl couldn't play a game equally as good as any guy out there.
Do you agree ?

Anyway, that's the end of my little missive for the moment. I'll be interested to see if this gets many replies.

And guys, one last point.... relax, it is only a game......
Mon 30/07/01 at 00:52
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Blokes play game because of that instinct we have.
The "I must win, I must be triumphant and prove myself"

Why?
Because there are no more ways left to express dominance and superiority over other males.
It's a primal thing, whether you agree or not, it's fact.

The male of any species is seen as "the provider" and "the protector", it's nature.
It's why most contact sports are played by males, it's why males compete more than women, it's that "I must be the best" thing, to prove we are the worthy alpha male.

And it does work, to a point. Women are impressed (subconciously) by a bloke that can appear strong, masculine and dominant.
Women will groan and disagree.
Ok then, so you have no interest in Brad Pitt when he's naked to the waist and built up?

Except now, in this modern society, the ways of males expressing their superiority over each other is non-existent more or less.
There is still sport, but what else?
Video games.
Multi-player, beat your mate and mock him.
Not many girls do this, they prefer games that test skill or are fun, they play to take part.
Blokes play to win.

We like to think we're evolved and civilised, but watch a nature programme and it's scary how similar we are.
Peacocks spread their tails to impress.
Blokes go down the gym, drive fast cars..all outward signs of fertility and dominance.
It's inbuilt and we can't not react like that.
Watch a group of guys when a female comes into orbit.

Their conversations become louder, they put each other down..puff up and spread their tailfeathers to impress.

That's just the way it is.
Sun 29/07/01 at 22:43
Regular
In my experience, I've found that girls play games but aren't quite as obsessive as the lads are about them.

They usually play fun/multiplayer games (like Beat em ups and Platformers) for a bit of entertainment.

Being a girl on this sight, stay out of the Future of Gaming forums for your own safety.

Venture into them and the moment they catch on that you're female, they'll pounce on you with their chat up lines.

FUTURE OF GAMING FORUM. ENTER AT OWN RISK!

lol
Sun 29/07/01 at 19:19
Calm down!
Don't you think you maybe stereo-typing us men a bit.
My girlfriend isn't exactly in to her computer games, but when I'm at band practice she plays on my PS2, and due to this she can now give me a royal kicking at Tekken Tag, I don't see or feel any different in ANY way than if it was my brother or one of my mates who beat me.
She can also kick all my friends buttocks also, and they don't get embarrassed, so get your facts straight before you go on at us men.
Also I agree that people who fancy Lara are stupid, and they probably don't get out much and don't meet any real girls.
Sun 29/07/01 at 18:55
Regular
"You Bum!!"
Yeah, I agree with you. I thimk that girls are stereotyped a lot. People think that they would not want to play video games. Only certain developers have thought about making games that would appeal to girls.But...Sabrina The Teenage Witch???How would that appeal to a girl??Ok it could appeal to a 10 year old, but seriously who would buy their 10-year old daughter a Playstation or a PS2??Hope you know what I mean
Sun 29/07/01 at 18:31
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
The whole gaming industry is mostly male dominated with the exception of a few like the original poster. Like alot of other things in life today playing games seems to be more popular with males more than females. Its the same with football, more males play it but there are still many girls who also like to play it too. The thing is, little is done to encourage females to enjoy games as much as males. As children boys were more suited to cowboys and indians and soldiers while girls concentrated more on things like skipping and other girlie games.

Now before you start judging me and think I am being sexist then please stop, Im not. If I was my girlfriend at this moment would start breaking my fingers one by one. I know she likes games, before I met her she had a mega drive and now that I have my PS2 she is always up for a multiplayer on red faction or any other decent game I have or rent. I think that girls get overlooked in the industry. To say Lara Croft was to encourage more female gamers makes me want to laugh. If she was then why ohh why are her t.-t-t-t-t-(you know what I mean) made so big. If I was a girl I don't think that would make me want to play it.

So maybe more should be done to encourage more females to take up gaming more. It seems there could be quite a large market out there for it as I know quite alot of women and girls who enjoy playing games. Maybe we will soon see a rise in female gamers and may see games aimed more at just females.
OR maybe we wont. Maybe this is just the way it will continue to be, like most things in life. There never seems to be an even split between men and women. The reason for this is that we are different.
Sun 29/07/01 at 17:32
She is a role model for young women in that she tried to portray herself as an independent woman who can look after herself. On the other hand, running around killing people hardly qualifies for role model of the year.

One way or the other at least she is not as sad as the Spice girls.
Sun 29/07/01 at 17:32
She is a role model for young women in that she tried to portray herself as an independent woman who can look after herself. On teh other hand, runn ing around killing people hardly qualifies for role model of the year.

One way or the other at least she is not as sad as the Spice girls.
Sun 29/07/01 at 15:32
Regular
Did you know that the philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche described females as "dangerous playthings"? I wouldn't tho - I think chicks are dangerous and video games are playthings!

Hey, SlickChick, I got a question:

Lara Croft? - A role model for young women, or a spice girl gone wrong?

Also, who's your favourite female game character?
Mine is "Cinnamon" from Crazy Taxi 2.
Sun 29/07/01 at 14:45
Regular
Chicks and video games? The more the merrier I say.
Concerning female game characters: there is something strangely appealing about blowing some monsters head off with a female character. I don't really know why - perhaps it's a fetish of mine?
Sun 29/07/01 at 13:49
Do you really think that DOA2 only survived because of the 'bouncy bits' ? If that is the case then it really is a sad society we live in.
Personally I think DOA2 is the best fighter on PS2 at the moment. It runs a lot smoother than Tekken, and the graphics are a good deal clearer.

What genre of games do I like ? That is not very easy to answer, but my current favourite games include SSX, and anything with survival horror in it. I hate sports games in general.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.