GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ocarina or Majora?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'The Legend of Zelda: Majora's mask'.
Tue 06/04/04 at 11:59
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
Me and Rickoss were arguing which of the two Zelda's of the N64 was better.

I firmly think it is Ocarina of Time.
He thinks Majora.

Discuss.
Tue 06/04/04 at 11:59
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
Me and Rickoss were arguing which of the two Zelda's of the N64 was better.

I firmly think it is Ocarina of Time.
He thinks Majora.

Discuss.
Tue 06/04/04 at 12:02
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Ocarina and Majora are like a sandwich.

Without bread, a sandwich wouldn't be a sandwich, and without filling, it wouldn't be a sandwich either.

Ocarina is like bread and Majora is like filling.
Tue 06/04/04 at 12:06
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
But which bit tastes better?
Tue 06/04/04 at 12:09
Regular
It's a really hard one.

Orcarina was the big one, the powerhouse, the cinematic epic, but sort of cliché and the detail was spread thinly over such a large game.
Majora's Mask was much smaller, a lightweight in comparison and a spin-off rather than the next big thing, but although it was small, it was so tightly crammed with features that it sort of gave more in a way.

I personally prefer Majora's Mask, because it grabbed you.
You actually felt for the characters you interacted with, as you lived through 3 days with them.
The game was actually alive, with different events happening over the 3 day period. I didn't notice how good this was until I went to buy a big bomb bag, only to find that the lady who sold it had been robbed the previous night.
So I went back in time to the night before and prepared for the mugging and beat up the theif.

It was seeing what happened when the problems weren't solved that made solving them more rewarding. Getting the couples together, seeing people slowly freak out over the moon...

etc.

I'm ashamed at how emotional it made me though.
That song of healing got so depressing by the end...
Tue 06/04/04 at 12:17
Regular
Majora's Mask proved that a game didn't have to be of mammoth length to be an epic. Despite only 4 dungeons to explore, the journey felt just as tough and 'classic' as Ocarina of Time did, and to boot the games design is yet to be rivalled, in my opinion.

The twisted storyline brought out a whole new dimension to Zelda that really pulled you in. Ocarina of Time will always be one of the best games ever, but Majora's Mask has always been superior in my eyes.

The world of Termima was just bustling with characters, it felt so alive, and the happy faces of the village folk, despite their impending death, just added to that genius atmosphere. It's one of the best gaming experiences ever!

Anyway, that's my argument :-)
Tue 06/04/04 at 12:25
Regular
I disagree it felt as epic as Ocarina.

But Majora's Mask is the best Zelda game to date... bar maybe Wind Waker.

Majora's Mask had that dark atmospheric feel to it, especially on the last day with the empty town and the forever burdening but beautiful music being displayed in the background.

It had a VERY bad saving system but the three day system made the game far more interactive than OOT and far more concise.

Maybe that's not a good thing, OOT's beautiful ability to explore and far superior mini-games were a good asset to the game... as is the interactive but more concise story of Majora's Mask.

Majora's Mask is the better game, but only just. It furthers my point that each Zelda game is different and each one is as good as the last.
Tue 06/04/04 at 12:36
Regular
It wasn't epic on the same level, but it was still epic on a high level.
Tue 06/04/04 at 12:45
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
*cries*
Tue 06/04/04 at 12:46
Regular
Ocarina of Time.

What? I can't be bothered to argue :-)
Tue 06/04/04 at 12:47
Regular
"bit of a brain"
You need to experience both games, really, as OOT deals with it on an epic scale, where you span several years and notice changes in people, whereas MM focused on a much more tight time travel, and the changes were more personal. The town in MM is the best town in all the Zeldas so far, and you can see why they emulated it in WW, rather than the towns from OOT.

I'm telling you though, the next Zelda game, Link will be flying about on a giant bird. Just trust me.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.