GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Are Scary Games, Scary....."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 26/07/01 at 22:43
Regular
Have you ever been sitting in the dark either at your PC or your console, by yourself playing a computer game. A game that was so scary and gripped you so much that when you heard the slightest noise from outside the room or even outside your house you paused the game.....held your breath.....and waited just in case you heard the noise again? The scary game that really is scary, that keeps you up at night and unable to go to sleep.

There have been many games that have been branded by the makers of it, that it is the most scariest computer game ever made. Using cutting edge technology to bring the scariest images. Using advanced techniques to make sure the rooms in the games are dark apart from the flashlight you hold in your hand that projects only a small cone of light; making sure you don't notice that shadowed outline of the creature until it's too late! Dark twisted creatures that are only interested in using your small intestines as a skipping rope. Giant spiders, scorpions and centipedes that will much on your flesh and crunch your bones into a fine powder. Mutilated corpse that litter the floor of the police station only to rise once you approach them while emitting a horrible blood clotted moan......But at the end of the day do they really scare you?

The most popular/famous game of this type is the Resident Evil series. It has lots of blood, horribly mutated and genetically altered humans/creatures but did you ever jump at the sight of these images? Did suddenly running into a zombie make you almost drop you controller? No, not me either. The old image of scary computers games, games that actually scare you are, if not impossible, to find. There are too many games that rely on zombies, mutants or something from outer space. It's not the fact that these are not scary when used correctly but they are often over used and also a perfectly reasonable conclusion is revealed at the end which reveals why they are there or why they turned out that way, which blows away the mystery and/or suspense surrounding the game.

I've recently been playing System Shock 2. It is the most scariest and gripping game i have ever played.....ever. I don't know why it is so scary. It doesn't present anything i have ever seen before. The dark corridors and the low moan of the hybrids is nothing i've never heard before, nor is the flickering lights and the blood soaked floors and walls but it just scares me. Playing in a pitch black room with nobody else around adds the scare factor of the game and i love it. I don't know why but i do.

What games frighten you and why? Why do people enjoy and sometimes get a thrill out of being scared out of their wits?

Darkreaper
Mon 30/07/01 at 15:53
games are only scarey if they get your imagination going. What MJSWERVE said about Nocturne. You dont see what is going on, you only hear sounds, and the sounds you hear, you translate as being a very grusome and horrifying scene.
A game is not scary unless it has suspense. When you are walking down a dark corridor and you know there is something round the next corner, and you approach, you heart beats faster and faster, then suddenly it jumps out and you jump out of your skin. It is the suspence, not what you see that is scarey.
Take Rainbow Six. You're on Multiplayer, there's one player left alive, you've only got 3 bullets left, and you're on the hacienda map. So you're running around the house, trying to find the last person, hoping that you're not going to be shot in the back, then as you turn another corner, he was waiting for you and you're shot, you're dead. That is scarey, I know a few times that I have played it and I have jumped out of my skin when someone has shot me, because I'm so tense because I could win.
That is a scarey game, not horrorrubbish. Look at the top 100 scaryest films list that was voted by people in America. Psycho was voted the scaryest film ever made. In that there is no blood and guts, just great music and clever camera work.
So you should all stop going on about these RE2's and Selent Hill's because suspence is scarier than horror.
Mon 30/07/01 at 14:27
Regular
Games are only scary when you get home, put it on, and it's total sh*t! That scares the hell out of me!
Sun 29/07/01 at 23:50
Darkreaper wrote:
>Nocturne for the PC was one hell of a scary game. It was
> also the only game i know that actually took up 1GB of hard disk
> space if you chose to do a full installation!

Does anyone have Vampire the masquerade: Redemption. If you do a full install on that it takes up 1.5gb. Just some useless information there.
Fri 27/07/01 at 16:16
Regular
"Back For Good"
They should make a video game of Ed gein, who? your probably saying. real person who dug up graves and made nice lamps and furniture (don't worry he wasn't running a buisness) this guy was sick but amazed people by his creativity and inspired a real lot of the horror films and of course the texas chainsaw massacre.

A game made somehow with this bozo would be frightning somehow, in fact how can you make a game out of this.

i dunno
cool story though.
Fri 27/07/01 at 16:14
Goatboy wrote:
> Nice one Reaper.

Your Honour wrote:
> Congrats on the GAD win!!!

Thanks! Now to get Gran Turismo 3 or not....ummm i'll have to think about that one!

Anyway scary games, Nocturne for the PC was one hell of a scary game. It was also the only game i know that actually took up 1GB of hard disk space if you chose to do a full installation! It was sort of RE is style but it had a decent plot and involved more complicated puzzles than finding keys to open doors. Also with the PC being more powerful the characters where better animated and you could see guts and brains hanging out of the zombies! I personally liked chopping the arms of ghouls and zombies myself!
The people who made that also made the Blair Witch series and one of the Characters Doc Holiday is in both games.
I'm still waiting for Nocturne 2 as the ending for the first one left it wide open for a sequel. I still want to know who did that.....

Darkreaper
Fri 27/07/01 at 16:14
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Nice post and well done!
Fri 27/07/01 at 16:12
Regular
"MJ:Newbie Hunter!"
Goatboy wrote:
> Urinate on the cereal and bed the pet.

Double Nasty!

Again I ask myself what you are on Goatboy.

(;o|
Fri 27/07/01 at 16:06
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Urinate on the cereal and bed the pet.

Double Nasty!
Fri 27/07/01 at 16:04
Regular
I misread that, I thought you were going to urinate on their bed and sleep with their pet.

Sorry!!

:-)
Fri 27/07/01 at 16:04
Regular
"MJ:Newbie Hunter!"
The end is nigh and its sooner than you may think........I am the LIZARD KING!!!!

Shadowman has its sounds to make it atmospherically scary. It is a game that tries to scare you by twisting with your mind and making you listen to terrifying noises. RE doesn't do this.....it is a game which is "scary" by making you jump. RE doesn't scare you, it makes you jump.

This is why I like Shadowman. Anyone reading this who has played Shadowman and got to the Playrooms will understand how disturbing the music can be. Ton give you an impression of it I will describe it as best as I can. What happens is you are swimming underwater and you hear childrens music and children playing happily. Then there joyfully playing turns to crying. Next the noise of monstersis brought into it, then the children begin to scream, suddenly you hear a chainsaw and flesh being cut into and an almightly childs scream.

Made me very, very freaked that. It is also the strong stryline of the 5 running through the game that makes it "scary". LEgion has got the 5 to do his evil bidding and it uis up to you to search them out and kill them.

Just imagine hunting Jack the Ripper down the london underground....freaky is it not? Imagine the chilling climax of Silence of the Lambs.....a house drenched in darkness with a serial killer hiding around any corner. Highly disturbing.

(;o|

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.