GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Are Scary Games, Scary....."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 26/07/01 at 22:43
Regular
Have you ever been sitting in the dark either at your PC or your console, by yourself playing a computer game. A game that was so scary and gripped you so much that when you heard the slightest noise from outside the room or even outside your house you paused the game.....held your breath.....and waited just in case you heard the noise again? The scary game that really is scary, that keeps you up at night and unable to go to sleep.

There have been many games that have been branded by the makers of it, that it is the most scariest computer game ever made. Using cutting edge technology to bring the scariest images. Using advanced techniques to make sure the rooms in the games are dark apart from the flashlight you hold in your hand that projects only a small cone of light; making sure you don't notice that shadowed outline of the creature until it's too late! Dark twisted creatures that are only interested in using your small intestines as a skipping rope. Giant spiders, scorpions and centipedes that will much on your flesh and crunch your bones into a fine powder. Mutilated corpse that litter the floor of the police station only to rise once you approach them while emitting a horrible blood clotted moan......But at the end of the day do they really scare you?

The most popular/famous game of this type is the Resident Evil series. It has lots of blood, horribly mutated and genetically altered humans/creatures but did you ever jump at the sight of these images? Did suddenly running into a zombie make you almost drop you controller? No, not me either. The old image of scary computers games, games that actually scare you are, if not impossible, to find. There are too many games that rely on zombies, mutants or something from outer space. It's not the fact that these are not scary when used correctly but they are often over used and also a perfectly reasonable conclusion is revealed at the end which reveals why they are there or why they turned out that way, which blows away the mystery and/or suspense surrounding the game.

I've recently been playing System Shock 2. It is the most scariest and gripping game i have ever played.....ever. I don't know why it is so scary. It doesn't present anything i have ever seen before. The dark corridors and the low moan of the hybrids is nothing i've never heard before, nor is the flickering lights and the blood soaked floors and walls but it just scares me. Playing in a pitch black room with nobody else around adds the scare factor of the game and i love it. I don't know why but i do.

What games frighten you and why? Why do people enjoy and sometimes get a thrill out of being scared out of their wits?

Darkreaper
Thu 26/07/01 at 22:43
Have you ever been sitting in the dark either at your PC or your console, by yourself playing a computer game. A game that was so scary and gripped you so much that when you heard the slightest noise from outside the room or even outside your house you paused the game.....held your breath.....and waited just in case you heard the noise again? The scary game that really is scary, that keeps you up at night and unable to go to sleep.

There have been many games that have been branded by the makers of it, that it is the most scariest computer game ever made. Using cutting edge technology to bring the scariest images. Using advanced techniques to make sure the rooms in the games are dark apart from the flashlight you hold in your hand that projects only a small cone of light; making sure you don't notice that shadowed outline of the creature until it's too late! Dark twisted creatures that are only interested in using your small intestines as a skipping rope. Giant spiders, scorpions and centipedes that will much on your flesh and crunch your bones into a fine powder. Mutilated corpse that litter the floor of the police station only to rise once you approach them while emitting a horrible blood clotted moan......But at the end of the day do they really scare you?

The most popular/famous game of this type is the Resident Evil series. It has lots of blood, horribly mutated and genetically altered humans/creatures but did you ever jump at the sight of these images? Did suddenly running into a zombie make you almost drop you controller? No, not me either. The old image of scary computers games, games that actually scare you are, if not impossible, to find. There are too many games that rely on zombies, mutants or something from outer space. It's not the fact that these are not scary when used correctly but they are often over used and also a perfectly reasonable conclusion is revealed at the end which reveals why they are there or why they turned out that way, which blows away the mystery and/or suspense surrounding the game.

I've recently been playing System Shock 2. It is the most scariest and gripping game i have ever played.....ever. I don't know why it is so scary. It doesn't present anything i have ever seen before. The dark corridors and the low moan of the hybrids is nothing i've never heard before, nor is the flickering lights and the blood soaked floors and walls but it just scares me. Playing in a pitch black room with nobody else around adds the scare factor of the game and i love it. I don't know why but i do.

What games frighten you and why? Why do people enjoy and sometimes get a thrill out of being scared out of their wits?

Darkreaper
Thu 26/07/01 at 22:49
Regular
Darkreaper wrote:
> Have you ever been sitting in the dark either at your PC or your
> console, by yourself playing a computer game. A game that was so
> scary and gripped you so much that when you heard the slightest
> noise

silent hill 2 its supposed to be the most pant filling game like ever
Thu 26/07/01 at 22:51
I was actually thinking about mentioning that but i've only had a quick go of it and i didn't like it at all. I was well into the RE series by then. Saying that, i can't wait for Sillnet Hill 2 it looks really good and really scary.....

Darkreaper
Thu 26/07/01 at 22:53
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
no
Thu 26/07/01 at 22:56
Regular
"Back For Good"
the res evil series is more gothic horror than scary although it does make people jump now and again, Every game of the series is designed in a way to give a different feel to the way it scares you and they've done a fanastic job.

The game that has frightend me a bit is silent hill, oh man out this on hard mode and that dark alley with the wheel chair sqeeking, some guy hung up and pools of blood. Wow even though it compies alone in the dark and other horror games it has a original feel to it, when the world turns to "bad" it's not that scary but when it returned to it it's a true feel of horror. The graphics aren't very good but the sound and game itself make this brilliant. I do like the black ghost popping up here and there.

The sequel is coming to the PS2 and is said to be even more of the silent hill scare and the first on is on it's way to the GBA although aint the same with a small screen but still great.

of to bed
resfan
Fri 27/07/01 at 12:06
Silent Hill properly was more scary but like i said before i was well into the RE series. I was use to pre-rendered backgrounds and decent characters/zombie animation. Silent Hill was to me, so graphically poor and the sound was so terrible that it was seriously let down and really had trouble standing up to the RE series. Saying that when i was playing the demo i did actually complete it more than once. I can remember being led down the foggy street by the faint image of a young girl who after a while just disappeared. I walked down the alleyway where random blood stains graced the floor. I finally can to a figure that had been skinned and then put up against the chain link fence like it had been crucified. Then little tiny, things just appeared out of nowhere and covered the main character.....who then woke up in a cafe! Strange stuff indeed.
Apart from RE and SH what other scary games are out that really are scary?

Darkreaper
Fri 27/07/01 at 14:30
Regular
Darkreaper wrote:
> Silent Hill properly was more scary but like i said before i was
> well into the RE series. I was use to pre-rendered backgrounds and
> decent characters/zombie animation. Silent Hill was to me, so
> graphically poor and the sound was so terrible that it was seriously
> let down and really had trouble standing up to the RE series.
>

tell what i thought was a bit creepy ...blair witch part 1 on pc the lighting was oooooo scary(thats playing in a dark room with no one else in the house)

go on call me a wimp but if ya do ooo the can o' whoop a** will be opened!
Fri 27/07/01 at 15:58
Regular
Congrats on the GAD win!!!
Fri 27/07/01 at 16:03
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Nice one Reaper.

And if ANYONE moans about this win (Dan..this means you as well), then I will personally track you down and urinate on your pet.

And then eat all your cereal and sleep in your bed.

You have been warned.
Fri 27/07/01 at 16:04
Regular
"MJ:Newbie Hunter!"
The end is nigh and its sooner than you may think........I am the LIZARD KING!!!!

Shadowman has its sounds to make it atmospherically scary. It is a game that tries to scare you by twisting with your mind and making you listen to terrifying noises. RE doesn't do this.....it is a game which is "scary" by making you jump. RE doesn't scare you, it makes you jump.

This is why I like Shadowman. Anyone reading this who has played Shadowman and got to the Playrooms will understand how disturbing the music can be. Ton give you an impression of it I will describe it as best as I can. What happens is you are swimming underwater and you hear childrens music and children playing happily. Then there joyfully playing turns to crying. Next the noise of monstersis brought into it, then the children begin to scream, suddenly you hear a chainsaw and flesh being cut into and an almightly childs scream.

Made me very, very freaked that. It is also the strong stryline of the 5 running through the game that makes it "scary". LEgion has got the 5 to do his evil bidding and it uis up to you to search them out and kill them.

Just imagine hunting Jack the Ripper down the london underground....freaky is it not? Imagine the chilling climax of Silence of the Lambs.....a house drenched in darkness with a serial killer hiding around any corner. Highly disturbing.

(;o|

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.