GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Soundtracks-Do They Matter?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 25/07/01 at 21:31
Regular
We all argue over whether graphics or gameplay matter the most, or whether games are too long or short, but do we ever really argue about the soundtrack?
In my opinion, a good soundtrack can vastly improve the enjoyment of a game. I am going to give you some examples of this, and perhaps say why soundtracks can be so important.

Firstly, lets compare. I’m going to compare Metal Gear Solid and In Cold Blood-both on PlayStation. One of the reasons I love MGS is the great soundtrack. Why? Well, it always fits the mood of the game, and can really add to the tension and the excitement. For instace, the music in stealth mode is always rather quiet and slow, and can be quite menacing. When you are caught, a very loud alarm sounds, and the music all of a sudden becomes fast and loud.
The music in stealth mode increases the tension a lot, and it can be very surprising when you hear that loud alarm. The music of MGS really improved the overall feel of the game, and helped me to enjoy it much more.

In Cold Blood, or from what I’ve played, hardly has any soundtrack at all. At a couple of points music could be heard, but it was very quiet, and you hardly noticed it. When you weren’t attacking guards, it became very dull, and when you were found, and you were shooting, there was still no change! I mean- the guns sounded bad enough, but there was no exciting music at all! Nothing. Zilch. Jack all. In the end I got very tired of In Cold Blood, and I think it’s one of the most boring games I’ve ever played, to be brutally honest.

In driving games, a decent soundtrack is imperative. Every single Gran Turismo game has a superb soundtrack, and it shows that the makers have put a lot of effort into it. There are many different artists on there, and even though some tracks may not be something you would like to buy, they are perfect for a game like GT3, and it adds to the entertainment. You can sing along while driving a Nissan Castrol Tom’s Supra, or just listen instead of screaming when you spin that Tuscan Speed 12. Again, I believe GT3, and it’s predecessors for that matter, would be a bit more dull without their great soundtracks.

So, how important are soundtracks? More so than gameplay? Probably not. More so than graphics? Maybe. The soundtrack adds to the gameplay, making the game more enjoyable and a little more exciting at times. I would say a good soundtrack is a must in driving games, and very important in most shooters and RPGs.

Thanks for reading, Ant.
Thu 26/07/01 at 01:28
Pooey paper is great with a dollop of Hellmann's Mayonnaise(but being a Scouser, Mayonnaise tastes like Chikcen Pus)
Thu 26/07/01 at 01:26
Seifer wrote:
How did you know who I
> really know who I was (Tezza goes and cries on used toilet paper,
> and I'll leave it to your imagination who chucked the toilet roll at
> who)

good guess

(mmm pooey paper...)
Thu 26/07/01 at 01:22
FrEaK Of ThE (mr) DaRk wrote:
> Seifer wrote:
I'M A SCOUSER

All right, clam down Tezza

How did you know who I really know who I was (Tezza goes and cries on used toilet paper, and I'll leave it to your imagination who chucked the toilet roll at who)
Thu 26/07/01 at 01:18
Seifer wrote:
> I wouldn't know I actually don't have Conker's Bad Fur Day because
> no-one in Silly Suffolk has it for me to steal!

lol (gad)
Thu 26/07/01 at 01:18
Seifer wrote:
I'M A SCOUSER

All right, clam down Tezza
Thu 26/07/01 at 01:17
I wouldn't know I actually don't have Conker's Bad Fur Day because no-one in Silly Suffolk has it for me to steal!
Thu 26/07/01 at 01:15
Regular
i cant remember the exact words but the funniest thing is when one of the scousers is explaining why they are leaving that place where the almighty poo lives. stuff like "we just thought he was doing some shopping or somthin"
Thu 26/07/01 at 01:14
FrEaK Of ThE (mr) DaRk wrote:
> Seifer wrote:
> You HAVE never seen me play GTA then

> words

SICK AND TWISTED

I have 3 words similar to what you just wrote

I'M A SCOUSER
Thu 26/07/01 at 01:12
Seifer wrote:
> You HAVE never seen me play GTA then

3 words

SICK AND TWISTED
Thu 26/07/01 at 01:11
You HAVE never seen me play GTA then

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.