GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Soundtracks-Do They Matter?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 25/07/01 at 21:31
Regular
We all argue over whether graphics or gameplay matter the most, or whether games are too long or short, but do we ever really argue about the soundtrack?
In my opinion, a good soundtrack can vastly improve the enjoyment of a game. I am going to give you some examples of this, and perhaps say why soundtracks can be so important.

Firstly, lets compare. I’m going to compare Metal Gear Solid and In Cold Blood-both on PlayStation. One of the reasons I love MGS is the great soundtrack. Why? Well, it always fits the mood of the game, and can really add to the tension and the excitement. For instace, the music in stealth mode is always rather quiet and slow, and can be quite menacing. When you are caught, a very loud alarm sounds, and the music all of a sudden becomes fast and loud.
The music in stealth mode increases the tension a lot, and it can be very surprising when you hear that loud alarm. The music of MGS really improved the overall feel of the game, and helped me to enjoy it much more.

In Cold Blood, or from what I’ve played, hardly has any soundtrack at all. At a couple of points music could be heard, but it was very quiet, and you hardly noticed it. When you weren’t attacking guards, it became very dull, and when you were found, and you were shooting, there was still no change! I mean- the guns sounded bad enough, but there was no exciting music at all! Nothing. Zilch. Jack all. In the end I got very tired of In Cold Blood, and I think it’s one of the most boring games I’ve ever played, to be brutally honest.

In driving games, a decent soundtrack is imperative. Every single Gran Turismo game has a superb soundtrack, and it shows that the makers have put a lot of effort into it. There are many different artists on there, and even though some tracks may not be something you would like to buy, they are perfect for a game like GT3, and it adds to the entertainment. You can sing along while driving a Nissan Castrol Tom’s Supra, or just listen instead of screaming when you spin that Tuscan Speed 12. Again, I believe GT3, and it’s predecessors for that matter, would be a bit more dull without their great soundtracks.

So, how important are soundtracks? More so than gameplay? Probably not. More so than graphics? Maybe. The soundtrack adds to the gameplay, making the game more enjoyable and a little more exciting at times. I would say a good soundtrack is a must in driving games, and very important in most shooters and RPGs.

Thanks for reading, Ant.
Wed 25/07/01 at 21:31
Regular
"I like cheese"
We all argue over whether graphics or gameplay matter the most, or whether games are too long or short, but do we ever really argue about the soundtrack?
In my opinion, a good soundtrack can vastly improve the enjoyment of a game. I am going to give you some examples of this, and perhaps say why soundtracks can be so important.

Firstly, lets compare. I’m going to compare Metal Gear Solid and In Cold Blood-both on PlayStation. One of the reasons I love MGS is the great soundtrack. Why? Well, it always fits the mood of the game, and can really add to the tension and the excitement. For instace, the music in stealth mode is always rather quiet and slow, and can be quite menacing. When you are caught, a very loud alarm sounds, and the music all of a sudden becomes fast and loud.
The music in stealth mode increases the tension a lot, and it can be very surprising when you hear that loud alarm. The music of MGS really improved the overall feel of the game, and helped me to enjoy it much more.

In Cold Blood, or from what I’ve played, hardly has any soundtrack at all. At a couple of points music could be heard, but it was very quiet, and you hardly noticed it. When you weren’t attacking guards, it became very dull, and when you were found, and you were shooting, there was still no change! I mean- the guns sounded bad enough, but there was no exciting music at all! Nothing. Zilch. Jack all. In the end I got very tired of In Cold Blood, and I think it’s one of the most boring games I’ve ever played, to be brutally honest.

In driving games, a decent soundtrack is imperative. Every single Gran Turismo game has a superb soundtrack, and it shows that the makers have put a lot of effort into it. There are many different artists on there, and even though some tracks may not be something you would like to buy, they are perfect for a game like GT3, and it adds to the entertainment. You can sing along while driving a Nissan Castrol Tom’s Supra, or just listen instead of screaming when you spin that Tuscan Speed 12. Again, I believe GT3, and it’s predecessors for that matter, would be a bit more dull without their great soundtracks.

So, how important are soundtracks? More so than gameplay? Probably not. More so than graphics? Maybe. The soundtrack adds to the gameplay, making the game more enjoyable and a little more exciting at times. I would say a good soundtrack is a must in driving games, and very important in most shooters and RPGs.

Thanks for reading, Ant.
Wed 25/07/01 at 21:35
Good point Ant.

How would you feel if Metal Gear Solid's soundtrack was circus music?!

I think that games can live or die by their soundtracks, I would be distraut if the Final Fantasy music was something which did not match the game.
Wed 25/07/01 at 21:37
Regular
I'd say that a soundtrack is incredibly important but not as important as graphics, gameplay, fun and lastability and various other things.

Still, nearly all great games are accompanied by great soundtracks.

Worms United on the PC has the best one by far though.
Wed 25/07/01 at 21:38
Regular
"I like cheese"
Seifer wrote:
> Good point Ant.

How would you feel if Metal Gear Solid's
> soundtrack was circus music?!

Devastated. {:)

I think that games can live or die
> by their soundtracks, I would be distraut if the Final Fantasy music
> was something which did not match the game.

Yeah, games such as Final Fantasy as Zelda desperately need a good soundtrack.
Wed 25/07/01 at 21:41
Sorry Strafex, but I agree with Ant. MGS is by far and away the best there is out there, you name a different game which can set the scene like the MGS soundtrack can.

I think that you can tell what is going to happen during the game just by listening, music seems to get a higher pitch when something drastic is going to happen and music becomes more intense when what you are doing is going to have a drastic effect on the storyline.
Wed 25/07/01 at 21:42
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I love music. And when I play games I actually listen out for the music.

The Skies of Arcadia music is great, done by a full orchestra no doubt. Because of the feeling of the game the music fits in perfectly.

Anyone who's played SOA will know that it really is a top game. The adventure music is great.

The Secret of Mana soundtrack is quite good... 'The Colour of the Summer Sky' (Photos Village) is a cracking litte tune.

A lot of the music in games is pleasing to the ear, probably because of the ability of the developers stuff... the games can use mp3's and wav's and midi's and all types of sound files.

I liked a lot of the music in Mario 64... my sister thought that Mario slept to kill the enemies I left him there for so long listening to the music.

Music in games is very important. Some styles are better than others and some genres are more fitting than others. The music in the Sonic games was great. The anniversary CD is amazing.

I wouldn't mind a Conker CD I have the mp3's... well some of them, but even with such a laid-back game the music was ace and really got the game going... Great Mighty Poo, anyone?.

Imagine a game with no music and just Sound FX... ulgh!

Sound Tracks are just as important as graphics!

~ Game
Wed 25/07/01 at 21:43
Regular
Zelda desperately needs a great soundtrack?

Zelda's soundtrack was first class!

All the tunes suited the mood from music in fights, boss music...

Ofcourse, you only played for 5 minutes at a friends house so you could tell us how "poor it was" :-D
Wed 25/07/01 at 21:45
Regular
"I like cheese"
Strafex wrote:
> Zelda desperately needs a great soundtrack?

Zelda's soundtrack
> was first class!

All the tunes suited the mood from music in
> fights, boss music...

Ofcourse, you only played for 5 minutes at
> a friends house so you could tell us how "poor it was"
> :-D

That's what I mean!

Zelda wouldn't have been so good if it wasn't for the soundtrack.
Wed 25/07/01 at 21:49
There is a quite simple equation for this.(Sorry for bringing up school stuff during the hols)

Good soundtrack + Good graphics + Good storyline + Good mini-games + Good playability = Good game

(Not in that order though!)
Wed 25/07/01 at 22:08
Regular
When you said desperately needed I thought that you meant that it lacked it... sorry :-)

Zelda wouldn't have been as good without it's sound track but I still wouldn't rate it higher than the size of the adventure, the graphics, the gameplay or the fact that Zelda was fun.

At the end of the day, the sound track is one of the essential components to a classic game but still isn't more important than the other things.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.