GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Emulation"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 24/07/01 at 23:11
Regular
Some are for it, Some are against, I can't see any harm in downloading old retro games and games that aren't availible for purchase but newer games and now emulated on the pc and that's clearly what everyone is up in arms about.

Yeah it will affect sales but how exactly is downloading space invaders a crime?? even if you don't own the original which i do anyway how is this affecting anyone? I can understand if GT3 was availible for complete download that would be wrong but ancient games that people never had the chance to play is that really so bad?

Playing "roms" on the PC is pretty awful anyway the quality is less than the original and using a keyboard as a joypad isn't the same.
I've been told about a game called sweethome on the nes which is japanese and is obviously not availible here so i checked it out, oh man is their anything worse than a trying to play an rpg in japanese ( ???? ) well the quality is ok but what i want to know is, the playstation 2 is getting a hard drive and modem soon and as i'm sure we all know the posibilities with this are endless and i'm dying to know if all these roms can be actually usefull and be played in full screen running on a PS2.

If they are then haha I'd just dowload all the classic games that people should play even if they didn't buy it when it was topping the charts back in the early 80's, if programs like this can be used on the PS2 then will the possiblilty of playing GBA games for nothing on a PS2 cause problems in the industry er yeah but it's the same with bleemcast I'm sure Sony don't like Dreamcast owners playing an official title on another console but what can they do.

not much unfortunatly but PS2 owners may just be able to play all the old and new different format games for absolutly nothing.

int it great?
Wed 25/07/01 at 17:17
Regular
"Back For Good"
NO i have the atari 2600 version but if you want the space invaders actual big bulky arcade thing I know where to get it.
Wed 25/07/01 at 17:12
Regular
"Party like its 2005"
Ö= ResŒvilfan =Ö, you own original Space Invaders boards? Do you have a cabinet? Is it a cocktail or an original / unoriginal upright. I am very jealous, how did you come across it? would you consider selling it?
I've got a couple of original arcade boards too. Green Beret and WWF Superstars. I play them on a home built Jamma Supergun (they work fine on my scart tv).
I also have the MAME emulator for all my classic arcade needs (www.mame.net).
I'm making a MAME cocktail table cabinet to play them in too, using a donor computer / monitor, plans from an original cab, controls from arcadewarehouse, a keyboard encoder from ukspaceinvaders, a sheet of glass and a lot of MDF. It'll be very nice to have an arcade machine that will switch between every classic game ever created!
There's loads of websites out there detailing these projects.
Wed 25/07/01 at 16:47
"possibly impossible"
As you may have gathered, I love emulators and have been known to freely extol their virtues around these parts.

Its the older emulators that I particularly enjoy though, as the machines themselves (Spectrum, C64, NES...) were not always 100% reliable after several hours of play and those with a tape drive took ages to load the games, so by the time they were loaded you fancied playing something else!

My Spectrum emulator has over 4,000 games on it now, from various CDs (one of which was bought in a games shop) SR themselves sold (and probably still sell) an Amiga emulator with a load of PD games, although you will need a seperate Amiga rom to use it and they can be hell to get hold of, even if you are getting one 'legally' from an Amiga itself. I know this because I actually bought the darn thing from SR way back when it was being offered as a free gift.

Still, with a Spectrum, C64 and Atari VCS emulator and enough games to keep me going forever, I'll be having retro fun until the cows come home...or longer, depending on who the farmer is!
Wed 25/07/01 at 16:07
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
Sounds like too much effort to me... (lazy!)

ps. Are you a hero in a half shell?
Wed 25/07/01 at 13:50
Regular
"not dead"
I can use a pad for all of my emulators.

I had to alter one of the files to get the SMS one to work, but it was just a matter of changing a 0 to a 1.

All of the others I have allow you to configure a joypad.

Earthbound rules.
Wed 25/07/01 at 13:48
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
The problem that I had with my PC Megadrive emulator is that you had to use the keyboard. The pads were great (at the time). Just get a megadrive. www.webswappers.com has loads really cheap.
Wed 25/07/01 at 10:40
Regular
"not dead"
Basically you download an emulator, there are loads on the web, then you download the game ROMs to use on the emulator.

There may be a few games that will be incompatable, but not many.

Go to www.classicgaming.com for a bunch of stuff on emulators, and classic games in general.
Wed 25/07/01 at 10:35
Is theree an emulator for most of the mega drive games, cos ther's loads I'd like to have.
Wed 25/07/01 at 09:49
Regular
Nothing beats playing games on the real machine!
Wed 25/07/01 at 09:42
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
If youre after Megadrive games, buy a megadrive! You can get them for fiver or so, and the games are about a quid at carboot sales.

I put an ad in the local freeads paper saying i would buy any game for a quid that i diddnt have, and from that i came away with over 40 games. Ive got 93 games for it now.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.